The Student Room Group

Minutes silence for Thatcher

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan and Reading chairman John Madjeski have called for football teams to hold a minutes silence for Thatcher this weekend.
In my opinion this must not happen. Ignore what she did, but sport and politics should not mix. Holding a silence would be making a huge political point.

I am against anyone celebrating her death but people should not be forced to respect her, especially someone with very tenuous links to football.
She is possibly the most divisive PM ever and a minutes silence would certainly not be observed fully.
I've never disrespected a minutes silence before but I certainly would take exception if it were to happen.
Furthermore, none of Wilson, Heath or Callaghan received a minutes silence. Why should she?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A minutes silence at Anfield? Good luck is all I'll say.
Reply 2
It's meaningless; I doubt any one of the footballers could list 3 of her policies. If they want to respect her then instead of doing absolutely nothing for 1 minute, maybe read a book on her for 5.
Original post by King Hotpie
A minutes silence at Anfield? Good luck is all I'll say.

It's completely immoral to try and force people to respect her when many people are worse off because of her. She treated football fans like animals, blamed Liverpool fans for Hillsborough and wanted all fans to carry an ID card.

There are certain people who everyone can acknowledge is a great person, Thatcher isn't one of them. At best she was incredibly divisive.
Aw hell no - she hated football fans and football, and we should remember that and treat her with the same contempt she treated us.
Reply 5
Shouldn't happen - I'm not one of these people glad she's dead but if you try and implement the silence I guarantee you won't get silence - you'll get a minute of some people being silent and the rest booing.
Reply 6
I personally disagree with any silences unless it's related to a person or people who have a close connection to where the silence is being held. Where it's related to something or someone that divides opinion then it's offensive (trying to force it on those who disagree) and asking for trouble.
I would personally boo.

All this Thatcher love in is making me feel a bit sick.

Initially I was indifferent to her death but know I say good riddance.
Reply 8
Original post by Bornblue
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan and Reading chairman John Madjeski have called for football teams to hold a minutes silence for Thatcher this weekend.
In my opinion this must not happen. Ignore what she did, but sport and politics should not mix. Holding a silence would be making a huge political point.

I am against anyone celebrating her death but people should not be forced to respect her, especially someone with very tenuous links to football.
She is possibly the most divisive PM ever and a minutes silence would certainly not be observed fully.
I've never disrespected a minutes silence before but I certainly would take exception if it were to happen.
Furthermore, none of Wilson, Heath or Callaghan received a minutes silence. Why should she?

Not really.

A minute of silence is often done to remember a person that was important to the club holding. And given that Thatcher was a great (note great not good, i.e. says nothing about your politica views of her) British leader of recent times I actually think it's appropriate for Premier League games to have one for her.
Reply 9
won't happen even if the football authorities order it, the fans wouldn't follow and stay silent
Reply 10
They will interlink her death and Hillsborough rememberance in one silence which means there'll be no protest.
Reply 11
She deserves a minutes silence she was a great woman and did great things. may she rest in peace. The people who rioted the streets are disrespectful arrogant and ignorant people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
It seems a bit silly to me, the average footballer and football fan probably couldn't tell you much about her.

That said, I do love how modern fans of the game will talk about how she hated the fans and forget the endemic violence that marred football in her era.
Original post by Steevee
It seems a bit silly to me, the average footballer and football fan probably couldn't tell you much about her.

That said, I do love how modern fans of the game will talk about how she hated the fans and forget the endemic violence that marred football in her era.

But I thought everyone ate ice cream and sang happy songs?

I do laugh at people on forums who mention riots and fighting they were involved in and then want a return to the good ol' ways of football. My dad remembers the real face of football round here, and it wasn't pretty. I've seen some really shocking images from that time. Thank goodness the situation has improved somewhat.
Reply 14
Original post by Bornblue

I disagree. In addition to being a political figure, an elected representative is also a civic figure who represents everyone they serve. When a local MP opens a new supermarket, that is not a political act, they are there in their civic role.

Margaret Thatcher is more than Thatcherism and the Tory Party, she was a significant leader of this country. For that, she should gain the respect due to her office representing the people. I would stand for a minute's silence for any Prime Minister whether Labour or Tory, even if I disagreed with their politics.

That said, I'm not enormously bothered either way. Minute's silences at football matches are more often interrupted than not these days, which is utterly sickening and depressing, but ultimately it's what we're living with.
Reply 15
She was far too divisive too unite 40,000 football fans in complete silence...
Original post by danny111
Not really.

A minute of silence is often done to remember a person that was important to the club holding. And given that Thatcher was a great (note great not good, i.e. says nothing about your politica views of her) British leader of recent times I actually think it's appropriate for Premier League games to have one for her.

Why? She treated football fans like animals and tarred them all with the same brush. She blamed Liverpool fans for Hillsborough.

Football and politics should not mix, especially for someone who divided opinion so much.
Again, If Heath, Wilson recieved no minutes silence, why should she?
Original post by L i b
I disagree. In addition to being a political figure, an elected representative is also a civic figure who represents everyone they serve. When a local MP opens a new supermarket, that is not a political act, they are there in their civic role.

Margaret Thatcher is more than Thatcherism and the Tory Party, she was a significant leader of this country. For that, she should gain the respect due to her office representing the people. I would stand for a minute's silence for any Prime Minister whether Labour or Tory, even if I disagreed with their politics.

That said, I'm not enormously bothered either way. Minute's silences at football matches are more often interrupted than not these days, which is utterly sickening and depressing, but ultimately it's what we're living with.

Why should people be forced to respect her? Many people detest her. Those who want a minutes silence can hold their own. We can not enforce politics in sport.
Reply 18
Sport and politics do mix though.
Also football was, and a too a large degree still is, the working mans sport. Never mind her being so divisive and splitting it 50/50, the working classes would likely have even more resentment.

So no, and if I was in a crowd for the minute silence I'd boo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending