The Student Room Group

Which stadiums in the premier league have the worst atmosphere?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Musester
Don't really know why you'd say that since you haven't won a thing in almost a decade-the Emirates cup doesn't count.

Spurs have won things more recently-hell even Portsmouth; and you've beaten us in the league once since 2003-2004.

What is the point of sport? It's for entertainment, watching exhilarating games. I don't support a club because of the trophies they win. A lot of wins are flukes in cup competitions. I support a team because i love their style of play; their philosophy is key to me. Arsenal have a beautiful style of play, and intelligent minded players. They play so elegantly. That's why i support them.

I'd take that over a shiny cup i never won or will ever touch.

+ I love Chelsea! My university will be around 9 mins from Stamford Bridge. How hard it is/costly is it to get a ticket?

Hazard, Mata, Oscar = class.

Lamps should get another season.

Luiz is class.
Reply 21
Well I go to Kingston University so I go to games whenever I have money-Europa League (a competition you either love or are incredibly sarcastic about) tickets are £30 and league tickets are £50 but go quickly-just buy them if you really want to when your student finance comes through-don't make too big of the fact you're an Arsenal fan though.
Chelsea by far, all you hear is racist remarks from certain people in the home support sometimes abuse is directed at their own players
Reply 23
Original post by sevchenko
Chelsea by far, all you hear is racist remarks from certain people in the home support sometimes abuse is directed at their own players

Oh look, a Daily Star reader. Or an idiot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
surely it depends on the game/the opponants.. away games are always louder though as the majority of those who travel are regular diehards and do want to chant, clap and support the team. away fans love to out-sing home fans but in reality that happens in most grounds
Don't really know why you'd say that since you haven't won a thing in almost a decade-the Emirates cup doesn't count.

Spurs have won things more recently-hell even Portsmouth; and you've beaten us in the league once since 2003-2004.

Where did you get that stat from? I can count 4 Arsenal wins from memory and I don't support them or Chelsea.
Reply 26
Original post by sr90
Where did you get that stat from? I can count 4 Arsenal wins from memory and I don't support them or Chelsea.

I meant finishing above us in the league. Sorry if I confused you.
gotta be craven cottage. literally the only time the home crowd ever makes noise is if there is excitement in the last 10 minutes of the game.

i like it that way though, just sit back and enjoy football.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Loftus Road or DW Stadium.

you what? Loftus road would be in the top 3.

Old Trafford, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, DW, Craven Cottage, Madjeski are the worst.

But to be honest they're all pretty terrible these days. Too many tourists, middle class fans and corporate types.

Arsenal are particularly unlucky as we're in Islington and alot of upper middle class people from there have decided that supporting Arsenal is rather quaint and fashionable. Nick Hornby types. These people have literally no sense of football terrace culture and make the rest feel awkward if they attempt to sing. Tourists are another 10% who are much much worse, lots arent even Arsenal fans. A further 10% are corporate types who also arent Arsenal fans. So splice these 18,000 people around the stadium and watch the atmosphere disappear. Eventually the old school Arsenal fans just accept their fate and just stop caring about the atmosphere. But your average Arsenal fan from Holloway is no quieter than your average West Ham fan really. Just look at our away fans.

Original post by martin jol
gotta be craven cottage. literally the only time the home crowd ever makes noise is if there is excitement in the last 10 minutes of the game.

i like it that way though, just sit back and enjoy football.

Craven Cottage is probably less noisy than the Emirates but its not an awkward silence like it can be at Arsenal. The calmness kind of suits Fulham imo. Classy.

The Arsenal fans only seem to chant every fortnight though.

Stamford Bridge is worse by some distance. The only chanting used to be of the racial variety whereas these days (even if you manage to fill your 45,00 seats... :rolleyes:) any noise will be directed at your own manager. Still those plastic flags look nice whenever Roman decides to have them handed out,lol.

Having said that the Emirates is also crap.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Zürich

Stamford Bridge is worse by some distance. The only chanting used to be of the racial variety whereas these days (even if you manage to fill your 45,00 seats... :rolleyes:) any noise will be directed at your own manager. Still those plastic flags look nice whenever Roman decides to have them handed out,lol.

Having said that the Emirates is also crap.

Awkward how Chelsea have one of the highest average attendances in the league and the only reason Arsenal have a higher attendance is beacause their stadium is considerably larger. And the capacity is only 44,200 so shows how much know.

Nice to see that you think racial chanting actually happens at SB given that I've been to over 50 games and never heard any.

Arsenal_1467484c.jpg

Hell, why hand out flags when you have scarves. When I went to the first game there they had a tee-shirt on each seat. Face it, the Emirates is a great stadium with crap fans and a crap team going there every week.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by stevensays
Well very few of them so they buy a drum to try make them louder!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Drums are incredibly small time. Remember Bolton always had one which for a premier league club was quite embarassing. Ditto goal music. It's so tacky, especially if it's Tom Hark which every other club has used at some point.
Original post by Zürich
you what? Loftus road would be in the top 3.

Old Trafford, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, DW, Craven Cottage, Madjeski are the worst.

Hmm, it's possibly because I don't like QPR.

- Old Trafford... well it depends who's playing and/or how close the match is
- Emirates... Highbury was better
- Stamford Bridge... well it's Chelsea, there's only atmosphere if they're winning
- Madjeski - it's a bowl stadium, it's almost as if it was designed to have no atmosphere
- DW - same as Madjeski
Awkward how Chelsea have one of the highest average attendances in the league and the only reason Arsenal have a higher attendance is beacause their stadium is considerably larger. And the capacity is only 44,200 so shows how much know.

Nice to see that you think racial chanting actually happens at SB given that I've been to over 50 games and never heard any; mind you from somebody who used to go and watch QPR (the lowest of the low) no surprise that you're views are typical of a scummy tabloid reader; you probably think that the Sun and the Mirror are reliable sources full of journalistic integrity.

Lol, Chelsea can barely get 45,000. I remember well in 2005/06 when you were reigning Champions a large number of your games were on general sale in the evening standard. The fact is your fan base is not particularly deep on account of your pre-sugardaddy awfulness. For some League matches this year you've had 30,000 iirc and many below 45,000.

Arsenal could do 70,000 for most games and easily 80,000 for the very big games and the Emirates was designed to be upgradeable with that in mind. But Holloway tube station would need an upgrade first.

Chelsea fans were once synonymous with the far right, and I assume these people have not stopped going. Just that they know they have to keep their mouth shut now. But I've heard anecdotal evidence of racist remarks even towards Drogba etc which I;m not surprised by.
Easily Stamford Bridge at the moment - hopefully Jose Mourinho will return and turn the years back
Reply 34
Original post by Zürich
Lol, Chelsea can barely get 45,000. I remember well in 2005/06 when you were reigning Champions a large number of your games were on general sale in the evening standard. The fact is your fan base is not particularly deep on account of your pre-sugardaddy awfulness. For some League matches this year you've had 30,000 iirc and many below 45,000.

Arsenal could do 70,000 for most games and easily 80,000 for the very big games and the Emirates was designed to be upgradeable with that in mind. But Holloway tube station would need an upgrade first.

Chelsea fans were once synonymous with the far right, and I assume these people have not stopped going. Just that they know they have to keep their mouth shut now. But I've heard anecdotal evidence of racist remarks even towards Drogba etc which I;m not surprised by.

We've got ONE, yes ONE league game this year that has been attended by less than 40,000 and even that was just under 39,000. Arsenal pulling in 70,000, don't bloody kid yourself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Chel****
Man Utd
Bournemouth

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to consider noise in relation to stadium capacity and attendance in my opinion, it's worse for a 50,000 stadium to create the same amount of noise as a 20,000 stadium for example. With that in mind, The Emirates is definitely the worst. Arsenal home fans are the epitome of modern day "Who R YA!!!" post-Soccer AM football fans. Even the stadium itself is disappointing -- as said above, Highbury was better, the club sold the name to sponsors and built yet another modern, soulless, bowl stadium, which is also a complete rip-off of Benfica's Estadio Da Luz - http://i.imgur.com/WaPDR.jpg

Clubs like Wigan are irrelevant, they don't pretend to be anything other than what they are, a small club (The FA now having to open a neutral zone for the FA Cup semi at Wembley as 10,000 Wigan tickets are still unsold for one of the biggest games in their entire history - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22097080). They know they are small as rugby is king in that town. This is why Villa Park and Old Trafford were the ideal places for FA Cup semis, some clubs just don't have the numbers.

The match day experience in this country has suffered thanks to the money men based in London, now look at the FA Cup, it's been completely ruined. Clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea suffer particularly thanks to tourists in London wanting to see a glamour game and middle class, post-Euro 96 "fans" who jumped on the football bandwagon. Football matches are just status symbols now, next time you are at one look around you at the amount of knobheads with their cameras out all game so they can show off to their friends on Twitter.
Original post by sevchenko

I've never heard any racist abuse at Stamford Bridge, or abuse directed at Chelsea players.

Original post by Zürich
Lol, Chelsea can barely get 45,000. For some League matches this year you've had 30,000 iirc and many below 45,000..

Stamford Bridge can only hold 41,800. Chelsea have only had one league game below 40,000 this year, Southampton in January (which was 39,000).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Man unt
Fulham
West Ham
Stamford Bridge
Reply 39
Original post by rcummins1
Villa Park. They spend the entire the entire 90 minutes swearing at their own players whenever they misplace a pass (which is very freqeunt).

Must have been a great atmosphere when Bradford City beat them on aggregate, then.

Quick Reply

Latest