The Student Room Group

How far away did you move to go to uni?

And, follow up questions, do you like the distance? What's the best thing about living far/near to home?
Newcastle looks perfect for me, my course ticks all the boxes, as does the city and accommodation. However it's 350 miles away (I live in Cardiff) and would take nine hours to get home by megabus meaning I can't just pop home for the weekend or when I feel down. I'm quite close to my family and I don't know if I like the idea of only visiting every 6/7 weeks.

Scroll to see replies

Eight miles.
Living close to home has it's advantages, can always just pop back to the rents, close to family for everything.
About 80 miles, or an hours drive.
Reply 3
I moved across the US, east coast to west coast.

As much as we love to complain about the 'rents, it's nice knowing they're not a $450 flight away if you ever need them/just wanna fking go home.
My firm is Liverpool, i live in west midlands so its about 2 hours away, about 1 and a half on a train
Reply 5
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Eight miles.
Living close to home has it's advantages, can always just pop back to the rents, close to family for everything.

And its disadvantages?

Doesn't matter if you live 1 hour or 12 hours away -- you're still at Uni.
Reply 6
I'm moving an hour and a half/2 hours away in September.
My brother is 6 hours away, by train or car (We live in Kent, he studies at Aberystwyth).

I don't think either of our experiences will be different due to our distance from home.
A disadvantage for him is that Aberystwyth is miles from anywhere, not just home so he's kind of stuck in that bubble. Not that that usually bothers him until the end of term.
The only reason I can see my experience being much different is that I'll be (hopefully) taking my car, so can get around a bit more :smile:
Reply 7
10 minutes down the road.

Seriously. They were the halls they gave me and I wanted the student life so I took it. It was great being able to do my washing at home for free and to pop home for dinner when I felt ill or was hungover or wanted fast internet and Sky tv.
Original post by tehforum
And its disadvantages?

Ehh...my mom can tell me off?
Reply 9
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Ehh...my mom can tell me off?

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!
175 miles, which is 3 hours by train (4 hours if you count getting to / from the station at each end). I think it's a good distance - far enough away that I am not in my family's pocket, but close enough that I can go home for the weekend if I really want to.

Don't forget that Newcastle is only 5.5 hours away from Cardiff by train (which is the way most students travel), and you can get a third off fares with a 16-25 railcard.
Reply 11
Will be 3000 km. :smile:
I live in Macclesfield, the course i'm starting is in Stoke, so it's only like a 10 minute train journey.
I liked everything about the Forensic Science course, also i like that i'll be so close to home as my girlfriend will be back there when she finishes uni when i start.
Reply 13
I'm starting university in September, if everything goes well I'll be in Southampton. I live in west Cornwall, I don't know how many miles it is but it's about 5 hours by car.

I wanted to move away from home because I want to become more independent; I feel like I rely on my parents too much sometimes, so being far away from my family will be a good experience. And it won't be completely impossible to get back home if I want to - I won't be able to go home every weekend, but then, I don't know if I would want to anyway (oh dear, now it's sounding like I want to get rid of my family - I don't :tongue:)
Original post by tehforum
Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

Word.
in September it will be 244 miles - 4 hours and 2 minutes.
About 45 minutes drive. Seems like nothing but when you're Scottish and live in the Central lowlands, 12 of the 15 universities in Scotland are within commuting distance of home.

I restricted myself to Scotland for the free tuition, and at the time we weren't sure if my family could afford for me to live in halls, so I had to basically pick 5 of the 12. I am in halls though, just could commute if I wanted to. But the plan is to live in my uni city all the way through and not move in with parents.
Original post by Kateislate
And, follow up questions, do you like the distance? What's the best thing about living far/near to home?
Newcastle looks perfect for me, my course ticks all the boxes, as does the city and accommodation. However it's 350 miles away (I live in Cardiff) and would take nine hours to get home by megabus meaning I can't just pop home for the weekend or when I feel down. I'm quite close to my family and I don't know if I like the idea of only visiting every 6/7 weeks.

I'll have like... 2100 km from uni to home? Going to Newcastle in September, I'm from North Poland.
Now I live alone too, but it's like two hours by train...
Eventually you'll have to decide what's the most important thing for you :smile: I know a girl who's from my town and now studies in the same city as I go to high school - she also didn't want to leave her family. Yet as she became more engaged in uni activities, friends etc, she's rarely home anyway.
Choose the place where you'll be happy :wink:
An hour and a half, although it was gonna be four hours. Perks are if I need to go home for any reason (rare) it's cheaper/less time. That said, I'm not one to go home much anyway; some of my flatmates live further away and go home a lot more. If the course and university look ideal, I'd go for it.
I think it depends on how your uni experience is going as to whether you'll feel ok being so far from home. I went to Nottingham from the south-east which was 4 1/2 hours away by train. I thought it would be good to get far away from home and start afresh, but I ended up having a really rubbish time and regretted choosing a uni so far from home so much, because it wasn't like I could pop home for a break when I needed to. I've now quit and am going to a uni in London, so about an hour away from home by train, which I'm feeling so much happier about. But if I'd been having a good time in Notts, I'm sure I would have been fine. The mistake I made was picking Notts in the first place; it was the only uni I didn't visit (I picked it based on grade requirements/league table position) and ended up not really liking the campus/vibe of the uni (I picked the wrong course for me too). So go to a place you love and you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest