The Student Room Group

Army/RAF linguists.

I am looking into applying for the armed forces as a linguist. I have studied several languages at university, and a career in the forces being able to apply my skills directly appeals to me greatly.

There are three positions which I am interested in. Two in the RAF as a WSOp Linguist or Intelligence Analyst (voice) and also in the Army as an Intelligence Linguist.

I have been to my local AFCO and the army careers officer pretty much told me that they are still recruiting year round for linguists in the army despite cut backs in other areas. Is this correct?

The RAF on the other hand seems to have limited positions. Does anyone know the availability of the RAF roles? I am tempted to hold out for a role in the RAF due to family members being there, however if there is no availability and if I would be waiting for a long time for positions to become available then I am tempted to apply for an Army position.

Any information about these roles would also be a great help. Thanks.
The AFCO have the most up to date information on roles and their availability. Give them a call to ask about the RAF positions.

I would advise you look into the difference between the three roles, and really pursue the one you want. Rather than just take the job that is available now. The role of WSOp Linguist is in my eyes a much more rewarding and enjoyable job, though more challenging than the other two.

Someone else here may be able to shed light on the recruiting numbers of WSOp Linguist as overall the branch is closed however i have heard they expect to open some aircrew branches in the next year or two.

Chris
Reply 2
A past history of studying languages to a high level doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a good linguist. A friend of mine from university studied multiple languages for her degree yet failed to meet the minimum required score on the aptitude test for WSOp (L).
Don't do something because someone you have no choice about being related to does it.
Research, compare, make your own mind up. It won't be your relatives doing that job for many years.
Reply 4
Yes, well I've decided to hold out for WSOp linguist anyway after going back to the AFCO.

I know that prior knowledge of languages doesn't guarantee a good MLAT score, but it doesn't "necessarily" mean that I would fail it either.
Original post by domhawkins
Yes, well I've decided to hold out for WSOp linguist anyway after going back to the AFCO.

I know that prior knowledge of languages doesn't guarantee a good MLAT score, but it doesn't "necessarily" mean that I would fail it either.

Too right, stay positive. What languages have you studied, out of interest?
Can I please ask you what the difference between intelligence analyst linguist & WSOp linguist are? I can see training and salary differs but why? What does the WSOp do that the intelligence analyst doesn’t? I am abroad at the moment and prepping for my application when I arrive home. I’m struggling to find out the answers online. I will speak to someone about this when I’m back but for the couple of months that I am away, I would love to know more. Could you help?
Reply 7
Original post by Loofyhansa
Can I please ask you what the difference between intelligence analyst linguist & WSOp linguist are? I can see training and salary differs but why? What does the WSOp do that the intelligence analyst doesn’t? I am abroad at the moment and prepping for my application when I arrive home. I’m struggling to find out the answers online. I will speak to someone about this when I’m back but for the couple of months that I am away, I would love to know more. Could you help?

The WSOp will be flying, the analyst won't.
It was that simple....... I think all the reading is frying my brain. It was niggling at me so thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by Loofyhansa
It was that simple....... I think all the reading is frying my brain. It was niggling at me so thank you!

There are nuances, the real life isn't quite as cut and dry as that. But if you're looking for the 'in a nutshell' version - and one suitable for interviews (with the caveat of "no role in the military is completely predictable") - it's that.
The reason I don't like WSOp compared to an Intelligence Linguist is that as a WSOp you have to commit to 12 years service whereas only 3 years are required as an IL.
Original post by Feels Good Man
The reason I don't like WSOp compared to an Intelligence Linguist is that as a WSOp you have to commit to 12 years service whereas only 3 years are required as an IL.

Not sure where you’ve got that from. Plus this thread is years old.
Int corps will snatch you up to be a linguist. I wasn't (and still not) going to the INT corps and even the infantry said I would be useful if I carried on my Russian Language or if I learn Arabic. Just as they will deploy you on the training teams abroad (which is good fun & will help improve your language skills.)

There's loads the armed forces need linguists for and I think you can even get them to help pay towards a degree in said language with the education allowance.

Quick Reply

Latest