The Student Room Group

Access to Humanities and Social Sciences

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone is doing this course in September?

I've been accepted onto a course, following an entry test. I feel like I should be preparing, in some way, for the course itself. But I can't really find any reading lists or anything anywhere.

I'm looking to go onto read English Language at Uni. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Congrats! I have an interview for the same course next week,but am hoping to read psychology at uni. A friend of mine is on a similar course,and the best preparation was revision the subjects you want to study on the course at GCSE level(bbc bite size website,etc). Can I ask what the entry tests were like?!
Reply 2
Original post by klowe1990
Congrats! I have an interview for the same course next week,but am hoping to read psychology at uni. A friend of mine is on a similar course,and the best preparation was revision the subjects you want to study on the course at GCSE level(bbc bite size website,etc). Can I ask what the entry tests were like?!

There were some questions on basic spelling and grammar, and some on basic maths. You shouldn't have any problems really. There was also a section where you had to write about yourself and your reasons for wanting to return to study etc. I felt like I could've wrote forever once I got started on that part.
Reply 3
That's a load off my mind then! What subjects are you looking to study within the course?at Norwich city college you choose 3,I can only assume its similar for all over the country.
Reply 4
Hi well I have applied for the course and have an interview a week Wednesday and an a bit nervous of being accepted.

I have studied an access course before but due to financial reasons before applying to Uni. I was doing access to social care as my parents and family advised me too but have always wanted to study history will this go against me.

also I have only english Cc and science Dd and as for maths well not so good either will that be an issue.

also when interviewf what can I expect and how best to prepare and need I be so worried.
Reply 5
I am currently doing English Lit, History and Psychology on this course. If you are planning on doing any of the subjects directly related to the course you stand an extremely good chance at getting into a top university as being a mature student tends to work to your advantage. Two bits of advice; Try and get in touch with a lecturer and get a list of what plays books etc you will be studying (or just inquire in September). Read the text cover to cover before you have your first lesson on it if possible. It will really help when you go through it in more detail in lectures and will help you make more informed notes. Secondly your personal statement is really what is going to make or break your application. Get started on it early and use your age to your experience. You have a lot more life experience than an eighteen year old. Let them know it. Good luck with your courses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi there,

I'm coming towards the end of my Access course (English, History and Sociology) and I'm going to miss it so much! All I can say is don't panic and don't worry! Obviously the course varies from place to place but I managed to find an evening course and have been doing ok whilst still working a 9-5! The workload is manageable is you stay on top of it. I got offers from the Leicester, De Montfort, Loughborough and Nottingham for Sociology. I'm 22. You will be fine, no need to really prepare at this time. Good luck!
Hey,

I'm also doing Humanities and Social Sciences (Politics, Law, Sociology and Psychology) (well just coming to the end of it anyway!). I can echo the previous sentiments by saying contact your tutor as it's the best way to be able to obtain a reading list. Have a look at sort of general GCSE and A Level subject specifications or revision guides just to get a feel of the materials. I personally didn't prepare and am doing perfectly fine I can assure you however I'm sure that preparing helps.
I will (hopefully) be going to the University of Nottingham in September to read History and Politics so you've got excellent chances of getting onto your chosen course!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks guys the comments have really put my mind at ease :smile:

If i recall the list of subject are History, English Lit, Sociology, and psychology i'm not nervous about the work load or those subjects having studied 3 at AS level so i thin k the course is well tailored as to what i want to study definitely History and perhaps a double with English Lit so i just hope i can get in :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm hoping to do this course at Norwich City College this year :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by carlaraptor
I'm hoping to do this course at Norwich City College this year :smile:

I have my interview next week not sure if the college i applied to does the pre-access or not suppose i shall find out :tongue:

Are you hoping to go onto to uni to study :smile:?
Original post by Tom_91
I have my interview next week not sure if the college i applied to does the pre-access or not suppose i shall find out :tongue:

Are you hoping to go onto to uni to study :smile:?

I got a letter through the post today, my interview is on the 15th of May. ^_^ The day after my birthday!

I am indeed. I'm hoping to do English Literature at UEA. :smile: What are you thinking of doing at Uni?
Reply 12
I got a letter through the post today, my interview is on the 15th of May. ^_^ The day after my birthday!

I am indeed. I'm hoping to do English Literature at UEA. :smile: What are you thinking of doing at Uni?

Same here i had an interview in March but i never received the E-mail so i missed it was a shock when i found that out :tongue: But the college were understanding and rearranged and now Wednesday islooming large :eek:

All going well History but i was considering perhaps a double with Lit :smile:
Original post by Tom_91
Same here i had an interview in March but i never received the E-mail so i missed it was a shock when i found that out :tongue: But the college were understanding and rearranged and now Wednesday islooming large :eek:

All going well History but i was considering perhaps a double with Lit :smile:

Ahh, I rang the college a couple of days after I applied to see what kind of timescale they operated on/when I might have an interview. Then got a letter confirming the date they gave me over the phone.

I'll be doing History, English and Psychology for the Access course. I do really like History.
Reply 14
Ahh, I rang the college a couple of days after I applied to see what kind of timescale they operated on/when I might have an interview. Then got a letter confirming the date they gave me over the phone.

I'll be doing History, English and Psychology for the Access course. I do really like History.

I did mine online and said that i would receive an e-mail a week or two before the interview and i applied in Jan so expected a march interview which it was. But then after missing that they gave me a more specific timescale and i recieved my letter almost 2 weeks ago :smile:

For me it willbe History, Literature, Psychology and Sociology. I did Hist, Lit, and socio at As so im not too worried about that but Psychology is my main concern only ever having really touched on Freud, Jung and some others. The course sounds great and im glad i ahd the sense to look for the access as it would have been redoing A-levels and i was finding it hard to choose a third to do as most uni's require three :smile:

Is it just UAE your looking into or other uni's too ?
Original post by Tom_91
I did mine online and said that i would receive an e-mail a week or two before the interview and i applied in Jan so expected a march interview which it was. But then after missing that they gave me a more specific timescale and i recieved my letter almost 2 weeks ago :smile:

For me it willbe History, Literature, Psychology and Sociology. I did Hist, Lit, and socio at As so im not too worried about that but Psychology is my main concern only ever having really touched on Freud, Jung and some others. The course sounds great and im glad i ahd the sense to look for the access as it would have been redoing A-levels and i was finding it hard to choose a third to do as most uni's require three :smile:

Is it just UAE your looking into or other uni's too ?

Yes, I haven't done Psychology before so I hope I'm able to get to grips with it. I think I should be OK. It sounds pretty fascinating.

Yes it's just UEA... I live in Norwich and wouldn't want to move anywhere else, and I've heard great things about UEA. Did you say you're looking to go to Oxford?
Reply 16
Yes, I haven't done Psychology before so I hope I'm able to get to grips with it. I think I should be OK. It sounds pretty fascinating.

Yes it's just UEA... I live in Norwich and wouldn't want to move anywhere else, and I've heard great things about UEA. Did you say you're looking to go to Oxford?

Having touched on Psychology i don't think it should be too hard either well i hope not :tongue:

And thats fair enough. And no Oxford is not for me i fear :tongue:. I live in Swansea in South Wales so i'm looking to look outside Bristol or UWE will probably be my first choices all going well :smile:

And interview tomorrow nerves are kicking in :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Tom_91
Having touched on Psychology i don't think it should be too hard either well i hope not :tongue:

And thats fair enough. And no Oxford is not for me i fear :tongue:. I live in Swansea in South Wales so i'm looking to look outside Bristol or UWE will probably be my first choices all going well :smile:

And interview tomorrow nerves are kicking in :biggrin:

You will be fine, if you have numeracy and litracy tests they are basic level 1-2. The interview is just to see if you are on the right course for you. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by klowe1990
You will be fine, if you have numeracy and litracy tests they are basic level 1-2. The interview is just to see if you are on the right course for you. Good Luck :smile:

thanks for that :smile:

I don't know why but am really nervous i wasn't up til now its just the closer it gets the more daunting it seems which is ridiculous as its only an interview :smile:
Original post by Tom_91
thanks for that :smile:

I don't know why but am really nervous i wasn't up til now its just the closer it gets the more daunting it seems which is ridiculous as its only an interview :smile:

I kinda wish mine was tomorrow... mine isn't until the 15th! Good luck :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending