The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Computer science at queen mary

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone here studies computer science at queen Mary? What is the teaching like? The facilities? Job prospects? Would I need to learn how to programme before starting uni? Also is there a lot of girls on the computer science course at queen Mary? I don't want to be the only girl there :colondollar:

Thanks in advace!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
heyy, I just firmed queen mary for computer science with BM and i am a girl as well. I am a bit worried abt that being only girl there.

what is ur firm and insurance choice? didn't u go to the qm university preparation day? :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Hi! I actually applied to do economics at queen Mary, but just in case I don't get the grades, I'm thinking of other possibilities. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ummi1
Hi! I actually applied to do economics at queen Mary, but just in case I don't get the grades, I'm thinking of other possibilities. :smile:

Truth is that its generally guys on the course.....
I'll be honest, lecturers vary, theres one really really good one in your first semester, then a few decent ones to a few crap ones.........to one in your 2nd semester who is absolutely appalling.

Also you wouldn't need to learn programming beforehand, though I would recommend you learn a bit of java to get a headstart and particularly learn object oriented programming, which you learn in 2nd semester due to the lecturer as I said.

Job prospects is whatever you make of it, what you wanna do..............facilities are that you get your building, 3 floors of computer only accessible by EECS students and a separate login system and servers to the rest of the students. And much better computers in terms specs, so faster.
Reply 4
Original post by Iqbal007
I'll be honest, lecturers vary, theres one really really good one in your first semester, then a few decent ones to a few crap ones.........to one in your 2nd semester who is absolutely appalling.

Also you wouldn't need to learn programming beforehand, though I would recommend you learn a bit of java to get a headstart and particularly learn object oriented programming, which you learn in 2nd semester due to the lecturer as I said.

Job prospects is whatever you make of it, what you wanna do..............facilities are that you get your building, 3 floors of computer only accessible by EECS students and a separate login system and servers to the rest of the students. And much better computers in terms specs, so faster.

Hi! Do you do computer science? So the teaching isn't so good?
Reply 5
Original post by ummi1
Hi! Do you do computer science? So the teaching isn't so good?

computer engineering which is half computer science............. it depends on the module, generally ok, but as stated one of the most important module that teaches you essential thing is taught by someone who can't teach frankly speaking.
Original post by jazy94
heyy, I just firmed queen mary for computer science with BM and i am a girl as well. I am a bit worried abt that being only girl there.

what is ur firm and insurance choice? didn't u go to the qm university preparation day? :smile:

did u got the preparation day? i did but it was for electronic engineering....
Reply 7
Original post by study beats
did u got the preparation day? i did but it was for electronic engineering....

Yes.. I went.. I am sure that computer science is part of electronic engineering
Original post by jazy94
Yes.. I went.. I am sure that computer science is part of electronic engineering

who did u see
Reply 9
Original post by study beats
who did u see

Wat u mean by? I dont get it...
Reply 10
computer engineering which is half computer science............. it depends on the module, generally ok, but as stated one of the most important module that teaches you essential thing is taught by someone who can't teach frankly speaking.

I want to know how exams/courework are like? How many hours do I have to spend time on uni for cs course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by jazy94
I want to know how exams/courework are like? How many hours do I have to spend time on uni for cs course

Posted from TSR Mobile

All exams are at the end of the year, range from 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours max I believe maybe more.

Exams aren't that bad, as long as you know everything, there'll be one test on the computer maybe more, as I only did half of the modules.

Everything else is paper based........coursework is usually computer based where you make programs, occasional paper based essay and there'll be in class exams which also counts towards coursework.

It varies, and also because of labs, maybe around 17 hours or so.
Reply 12
All exams are at the end of the year, range from 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours max I believe maybe more.

Exams aren't that bad, as long as you know everything, there'll be one test on the computer maybe more, as I only did half of the modules.

Everything else is paper based........coursework is usually computer based where you make programs, occasional paper based essay and there'll be in class exams which also counts towards coursework.

It varies, and also because of labs, maybe around 17 hours or so.

Thanks.. are exams oral as well? Bcuz I saw on that on website... I dont know how that works?? Is CS course really that hard??? is teaching is really that bad or ok??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by jazy94
Thanks.. are exams oral as well? Bcuz I saw on that on website... I dont know how that works?? Is CS course really that hard??? is teaching is really that bad or ok??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its slightly changed as they share lecturers with Warwick........... the only times we had oral exams was a presentation but for a different weird module and later on.
It can be, read what I wrote to the other person.........generally ok, one amazing teacher, one very bad teacher in your first year, the amazing one teaches you the important first steps and the very bad one also teaches crucial things but cos he sucks it doesn't help.
Original post by jazy94
Wat u mean by? I dont get it...

were u in that room where we had a break and there were sandwiches on the table for us to eat...?
Reply 15
Yes I was and then I left the building..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

So how many girls would you say there are?
Original post by jazy94

Original post by ummi1

In case you haven't come across it yet, there's a thread for girls applying to computer science http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2155040 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by ummi1

Well obviously it changes yearly.....I would put it around 15-30%.
On my specific course, theres 1 girl.
Reply 19
Well obviously it changes yearly.....I would put it around 15-30%.
On my specific course, theres 1 girl.

Oh wow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending