The Student Room Group

Making a review website (Like Trip Advisor)

I have an idea for a website that I think will be very useful.

I am wanting to make a website like trip advisor, where I can list a load of hotels (for example) and people can sign up to my website and post a review of the hotel.

They also give it a rating out of 5 and this adds to the overall rating for the hotel.

I've looked at doing it on wordpress using a 'product review' widget but it was a bit tacky.

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this for free? (Like if you want to make a forum, you can download SMF, if you want to make a shop, you can download magento)

Reply 1
Original post by Runninground
I have an idea for a website that I think will be very useful.

I am wanting to make a website like trip advisor, where I can list a load of hotels (for example) and people can sign up to my website and post a review of the hotel.

They also give it a rating out of 5 and this adds to the overall rating for the hotel.

I've looked at doing it on wordpress using a 'product review' widget but it was a bit tacky.

Does anyone know if there is a way of doing this for free? (Like if you want to make a forum, you can download SMF, if you want to make a shop, you can download magento)

I have just created a website for myself which is similar to what you want.

www.takemegym.co.uk

basically like trip advisor but towards gyms etc.

I also used wordpress for this :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by debateamate
I have just created a website for myself which is similar to what you want.

www.takemegym.co.uk

basically like trip advisor but towards gyms etc.

I also used wordpress for this :smile:

What plugin did you use?

Thanks. I tried installing it but for some reason it wouldn't work?
Reply 4
Original post by Runninground
What plugin did you use?

Thanks. I tried installing it but for some reason it wouldn't work?

He used GeoTheme http://geotheme.com/
Reply 5
There's already a multitude of hotel review websites. If you're going to invest time this I'd suggest you come up with a more original idea, or at least an original way of implementing it.
Reply 6
Original post by Stormy Seas
There's already a multitude of hotel review websites. If you're going to invest time this I'd suggest you come up with a more original idea, or at least an original way of implementing it.

It's not for hotels. I was using it as an example as it's easy to understand.
Reply 7
It's been done

www.hotels.com

Don't look for it being already done for you, everyone and their granny has a wordpress these days. Learn some basic html + css then go from there. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending