The Student Room Group

Degrees in Ship Science or Marine Engineering

I'd really like to do an engineering degree similar to Southampton's Ship Science, something involving sailing and fluid dynamics and lovely things like that. I'm taking AS levels in maths, further maths, physics and english language and I'll take maths, further maths and physics at A Level next year, predicted A*AA as minimum target grades.
Has anyone come across any similar sounding courses? I can only find a couple.
Any help would be great. Thanks (:
Reply 1
Original post by elliebuck95
I'd really like to do an engineering degree similar to Southampton's Ship Science, something involving sailing and fluid dynamics and lovely things like that. I'm taking AS levels in maths, further maths, physics and english language and I'll take maths, further maths and physics at A Level next year, predicted A*AA as minimum target grades.

http://www1.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/1836/Pages/CourseOverview.aspx

they do a really good course in what you're saying. Not only that most of the marine stuff is based in plymouth..
Reply 2
Brilliant thank you! That course content is just what I'm looking for but my school would say the entry requirements are too low I think.. Also if I can't find enough courses in this kind of degree, will I have to apply to more than one course with UCAS? I'd put down aerospace as a second choice of degree..but would this make my personal statement weaker as I would have to keep it pretty generalised and not course specific?
Reply 3
Brilliant thank you! That course content is just what I'm looking for but my school would say the entry requirements are too low I think.. Also if I can't find enough courses in this kind of degree, will I have to apply to more than one course with UCAS? I'd put down aerospace as a second choice of degree..but would this make my personal statement weaker as I would have to keep it pretty generalised and not course specific?

low entry requirements doesn't mean its crap don't be fooled by what people say. As you can see the course is fully accredited by 3 professional institutes that ensures quality of the course so you certainly won't be doing a "crap" degree. Choose universities based on which one will give you the most advantages for what you want to do don't be fooled by "overall" reputation and all that crap people say on here.

Just keep looking i know Southampton do one too, and one scottish uni can't remember exactly but check one of them xD

Hey, I am thinking of doing a degree similar, you should look into Newcastle unis marine technology courses or strathclyde does naval architecture with marine engineering

Quick Reply

Latest