The Student Room Group

How much do your driving lessons cost?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
When I used to do it, it was £210 for 10 hours, so £21 an hour.
I paid £21 an hour, in Lincoln.
I used to pay £18.50 a lesson or so and because I had about 26 lessons altogether I only paid £600 before I passed. :smile:
Reply 43
£23 for an hour lesson in chester.
£22 an hour I think, but I brought 15 hours as a bulk package so it worked out cheaper per hour, though not sure exactly how much I paid!
This is in Cornwall :smile:
i pay £18 for a private instructor...i think everyone gets ripped off using BSM, AA and red driving school, private instructors are cheap and wayyyy better
£20 for an hour, or £40 for two hours. I do get a little discount though because of where I live, which I think is about £22 an hour otherwise.
Reply 47
£21 per hour, and £100 for 5 lessons block booked - I passed in early March and only did 13 lessons with an instructor and then did my teach in my family car (with prov. insurance etc).
Reply 48
I think mine was something like £250 for 10 hours. It may seem expensive, but my instructor was brilliant! Some of my friends have had cheaper driving instructors but I've heard bad stories about some of them. One accidentally double booked a test, and one of his pupils had to rent a car and get used to it an hour before his test started. Unfortunately he failed, but I have no idea if the instructor paid him back.
Original post by Liammm
I think mine was something like £250 for 10 hours. It may seem expensive, but my instructor was brilliant! Some of my friends have had cheaper driving instructors but I've heard bad stories about some of them. One accidentally double booked a test, and one of his pupils had to rent a car and get used to it an hour before his test started. Unfortunately he failed, but I have no idea if the instructor paid him back.

Yup, I've just changed from a much cheaper instructor who made me lose all my confidence to a guy who does £25 an hour who is great. That story about the double booking is horrific, I really hope the guy did pay the student back!!
Reply 50
Original post by Where'sPerry?
Yup, I've just changed from a much cheaper instructor who made me lose all my confidence to a guy who does £25 an hour who is great. That story about the double booking is horrific, I really hope the guy did pay the student back!!

Yeah, my instructor told me loads of stories about new pupils who have moved to him after using cheaper instructors who shouted at them or instructors who took ages to teach. With my instructor, he tried teach the theory parts of a manoeuvre as concisely as possible so I could have the maximum amount of time to actually apply it. While he may seem more expensive than others, he probably turned out to be cheaper in the long run than using an instructor who taught slowly at £20 an hour. :smile:
£24 with AA.
Reply 52
£20p/h is the most common price here in Wigan. It costs me £30 per week as I have my lessons for an hour and a half.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BioIz
aaaand this is why I am not learning to drive :wink: how are people affording this? Granted I only work on saturdays but I would have to use 90% of my weekly pay check to pay for a driving lesson every week :/

I had probably about 33/34 hours of lessons (lost count after 27) and spent just over a grand.

My lessons were £22 an hour, £200 for 10

I paid for everything myself, provisional , all my lessons, a theory test and two practical tests

The only thing I didn't pay for was the first lot of 10 lessons, they were a birthday present

And hey, I only work Friday nights and Saturdays, and do about 13 hours. I just found a way to pay for it

At least I've done it now though, as my dad says its only going to get more expensive than anything when it comes to learning to drive

Posted from TSR Mobile
10 lessons for 180 for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
£20 per individual lesson.

£160 if I block book 10 (which I do), so that works out as £16 per lesson. Quite good compared to some of the other prices I hear people get charged round here!
Reply 56
Original post by SortYourLife
I had probably about 33/34 hours of lessons (lost count after 27) and spent just over a grand.

My lessons were £22 an hour, £200 for 10

I paid for everything myself, provisional , all my lessons, a theory test and two practical tests

The only thing I didn't pay for was the first lot of 10 lessons, they were a birthday present

And hey, I only work Friday nights and Saturdays, and do about 13 hours. I just found a way to pay for it

At least I've done it now though, as my dad says its only going to get more expensive than anything when it comes to learning to drive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Minimum wage though, I'd have no money for anything else if I learnt to drive /: I could make it work if I really wanted to but seeing as I'll probably be in London for uni, it's not really worth it at the mo :biggrin:
Original post by BioIz
Minimum wage though, I'd have no money for anything else if I learnt to drive /: I could make it work if I really wanted to but seeing as I'll probably be in London for uni, it's not really worth it at the mo :biggrin:

I waited, I'm now 23 learning to drive. Difference is I can pay for everything myself, and I can even start looking for my own car paid for with my own money! It's a good feeling.

Also I think I'd be too immature to start driving at 17. I wouldn't trust me, at least. :p:
Reply 58
I pay 36 pound for 2 hour lesson blocks.

I've had 16 hours so far now, and already covered all four manoeuvres, and everything I need to learn. Now I'm just constantly going over them and practising them in different scenarios in preparation for my test. My instructor is amazing for how cheap he is compared to others, and has a high (90%) first time pass rate with his students.
Reply 59
£23 per hour, just outside Glasgow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending