The Student Room Group

Career options with Russian

Hi I'm thinking of applying to read German and Russian at uni in 2014. What kind of career options are there when you study Russian at uni?? Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Anything that requires you to be bilingual/multilingual :smile: It can be translation/interpretation (these usually require an additional diploma in those areas), office based careers etc.
Reply 2
Original post by obrown303
Hi I'm thinking of applying to read German and Russian at uni in 2014. What kind of career options are there when you study Russian at uni?? Thanks in advance

Hi :smile: I applied for German and Russian this year and have just firmed and insured uni's so maybe I can help. There are so many different fields you can go into: law, translating, interpreting, EU, diplomacy, business and teaching, amongst other things. At one uni some graduates went on to work for Bentley and one was a PA to the UK head of L'oreal. When you go to uni open days or visit days they tend to tell you where a lot of their students have ended up. Without meaning to sound cheesy, the world is your oyster! Particularly with such a rare commodity as Russian. Good luck and I hope this has helped! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by hannah_lou
Hi :smile: I applied for German and Russian this year and have just firmed and insured uni's so maybe I can help. There are so many different fields you can go into: law, translating, interpreting, EU, diplomacy, business and teaching, amongst other things. At one uni some graduates went on to work for Bentley and one was a PA to the UK head of L'oreal. When you go to uni open days or visit days they tend to tell you where a lot of their students have ended up. Without meaning to sound cheesy, the world is your oyster! Particularly with such a rare commodity as Russian. Good luck and I hope this has helped! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi thank you that was all really useful!!

Would you mind me asking what unis you applied to and what your AS grades were? I just want to get an idea of where I should aim for!

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by obrown303
Hi thank you that was all really useful!!

Would you mind me asking what unis you applied to and what your AS grades were? I just want to get an idea of where I should aim for!

Thanks

No problem! :smile: not at all, I applied to Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham and St Andrews. Got conditional offers from all and have firmed St Andrews and insured Bristol. My A-levels have been a bit messed up due to taking medicine subjects at AS and constantly changing my mind from then on. Overall got ABBCCD at AS (over two years) in Classics, German, History, Biology, Drama and Chemistry though I'm retaking German to get an A, achieved a B in History A2 last year and aiming for 2 As this year in German and Classics. But tbh St Andrews care more about extra curricular stuff and personal statement. Where do you wanna apply? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending