The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by JackTeh96
Do you prepare for BMAT as well? I don't know if i should prepare both BMAT and UKCAT..

Nah, I dont. I'm going to apply to scottish universities as they all require medical school applicants to sit the UKCAT. :smile: Preparing for two different tests is a lot of work.
Edinburgh is my first choice. :h: And Glasgow would be my insurance choice, if ever I got an offer.
Where're you going to apply? Oh - and are you really from China? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Nuttyneuron
Awww 2014 entry :-) Welcome to the dark side guys. Couldn't help but click on this thread, just wanted to say good luck :biggrin: and feel free to direct any questions my way (KCL medic)

Just a quick question, Do KCL require you to have a lot of A* at gcse like Birmingham and Oxbridge?
Original post by Officegirl4
What universities are people considering?

I was thinking maybe UCL, Imperial, Kings and Queen Mary/Nottingham and also Cambridge (if they take me :biggrin: ) what are people thinking for their back ups?
Original post by MikeyP96
What sort of work experience/ extra curriculars has everyone got?
I have:

1 week in a pathology lab in a hospital
1 week in various departments in a hospital
1 day observation physiotherapy
1 day observation in radiography

I also volunteer with young adults who have autism, learning disabilities, downs syndrome, physical disabilities and PMLD ( by the time i apply id have been doing that 4 a year)
Im a sexual health peer mentor at school
Im part of a youth council at Bham childrens hospital
Im part of youth department of health panel
Ive been volunteering at a charity shop for 2 years (3 when i apply)
I volunteered at a dementia care home for a week
I did Bronze D.of.E
Ive been doing karate for 6 months
I was part of an Awareness for Alopecia campaign
Im part of a Medical Ethics group and Amnesty international group
I do HE+ and A2P Keele Medicine
I did Tennis for 2 years and Badminton and table tennis for 6 months

OMG wow!! you have soo much stuff!! :smile: compared to that i have like nothing :biggrin: i have been doing volunteering with Rainbows/Brownies, and also at a nursing home for like a few months, and i did volunteering at a charity shop for like a year...err..i do some mentoring at school with the younger year groups...so far I haven't got any like hospital work yet so i should be worried :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
btw which univerisities are thinking of applying to? :biggrin:
Original post by imafairyprincess
I was thinking maybe UCL, Imperial, Kings and Queen Mary/Nottingham and also Cambridge (if they take me :biggrin: ) what are people thinking for their back ups?

Depending on feed back from universities either go on a gap year trying to get some more experience, would really like to try out phlebotomy for a year.

If the feedback basically tells me I have no chance, physiology.

You?
Reply 65
Original post by Leen!
Nah, I dont. I'm going to apply to scottish universities as they all require medical school applicants to sit the UKCAT. :smile: Preparing for two different tests is a lot of work.
Edinburgh is my first choice. :h: And Glasgow would be my insurance choice, if ever I got an offer.
Where're you going to apply? Oh - and are you really from China? :smile:

Nah. I am Malaysian Chinese, currently studying in an international school is China. Moving to Uk to study alevel next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by JackTeh96
Nah. I am Malaysian Chinese, currently studying in an international school is China. Moving to Uk to study alevel next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by imafairyprincess
OMG wow!! you have soo much stuff!! :smile: compared to that i have like nothing :biggrin: i have been doing volunteering with Rainbows/Brownies, and also at a nursing home for like a few months, and i did volunteering at a charity shop for like a year...err..i do some mentoring at school with the younger year groups...so far I haven't got any like hospital work yet so i should be worried :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
btw which univerisities are thinking of applying to? :biggrin:

Sheffield
Newcastle
Manchester
Liverpool
Durham (but im not gonna apply to both newcastle and durham, one or the other)

how about you?
Reply 68
Is it really necessary to do stuff like work at a charity shop? Whats that got to do with medicine
Reply 69
Original post by Mo_maths
Is it really necessary to do stuff like work at a charity shop? Whats that got to do with medicine

Volunteering at a charity shop shows that you actually care for the community and helps exhibit your caring attitude when it comes to writing your PS. Besides, volunteering is 'fun'. :biggrin:
It also shows that you have the correct attitude to care for patients who may be both physically and psychologically unstable. Common sense really in my opinion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70
hi guys
applied this year and will hopefully be starting med in sept
if you want any advice quote me :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by ergo30
Volunteering at a charity shop shows that you actually care for the community and helps exhibit your caring attitude when it comes to writing your PS. Besides, volunteering is 'fun'. :biggrin:

I absolutely second this.
Reply 72
Original post by sadiex1
hi guys
applied this year and will hopefully be starting med in sept
if you want any advice quote me :smile:

Hi, what were youre gcse and as grades and what unis did you apply to?
Reply 73
Original post by Mo_maths

anything which is volunteering
they do like to see some non medical stuff too, so dont make everything medical related.
Original post by Nuttyneuron
Awww 2014 entry :-) Welcome to the dark side guys. Couldn't help but click on this thread, just wanted to say good luck :biggrin: and feel free to direct any questions my way (KCL medic)

Hey I want to go to KCL! Quick question, do they ask for proof of your work experience and volunteering like Nottingham? I was told at Nottingham, you need to complete a form detailing when you started and stopped and what you did there...

Also, what would you say sets King's apart from other unis? What made you want to apply there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Thanks for your advice people, I've got a few volunteering things going on atm so I should hopefully be ok
Reply 76
Good luck everyone, I'm no where near 2014 admissions for Medicine, still in year 10. :biggrin:
But trying to get ahead of the game :wink:, Looking forward to the journey of going through A-levels and many nightmares to finally reach medical school.
Original post by Officegirl4
Depending on feed back from universities either go on a gap year trying to get some more experience, would really like to try out phlebotomy for a year.

If the feedback basically tells me I have no chance, physiology.

You?

:biggrin: ahhh yeaah thats a good idea, because now, i think the idea of taking a gap year, just seems better and better each time...i was thinking neuroscience or chemistry degree...:biggrin:
Original post by MikeyP96
Sheffield
Newcastle
Manchester
Liverpool
Durham (but im not gonna apply to both newcastle and durham, one or the other)

how about you?

UCL
Imperial
Nottingham/Queen Mary (dont know yet)
Cambridge (the dream one :biggrin:)
just out of interest why none in London? :wink:
Oooh, I'm planning on applying to Medicine this year! :biggrin:
But I feel extremely nervous. I have done little work-experience (Though I have some booked for the Summer holiday)

I wanna apply to:

UCL
KCL
Cambridge (Can I get in? *eyes sparkle*)
Queen Mary....
Manchester.

XD

Don't wanna apply anywhere near Birmingham. I want to get out of the city :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending