The Student Room Group

Margaret Thatcher fans launch alternative #1 campaign

The BBC have just announced that they won't be playing ''Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead'' on this weeks chart show, which is news in itself. But more interesting is that the fans of Margaret Thatcher have now started buying the song ''I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher'' as a sort of protest against the left.

Do you think the BBC were right to ban ''Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead'', and do you think they should ban ''I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher'' which is slowly creeping up the charts and is now about #50?

I personally think ''Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead'' should not be played on the chart show, even at the expense of free speech because it glorifies a death. If it was a song celebrating her leaving office, rather than dying I'd agree that it should be played. I do also think ''I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher'' should be banned, but mainly for consistency.

What are your thoughts?

Edit: I'm hearing lot's of different numbers so I'm a bit confused as to where it's actually finished. I think overall for the week it was #35, and for Friday and Saturday it was #6 - can't verify that though. I've also heard that the BBC WILL play it- can't be certain of that either though.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's at 34 now. The fight back begins!
Cannot believe they are not playing it, politically impartial my ass....
Reply 3
I have not bought ding dong yet, but if i see this song creeping up the charts i will :p:
When I read the title I thought you were actually in love with a now deceased person :tongue: but I think either ban both or none at all
Reply 5
It's not harming anyone, just offending some. Both should be played if they're meant to be. What I do object to is the BBC's reporting of 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' reaching the charts, which strikes me as trying to promote the song's purchase.
If I'm in Love with Thatcher gets into the charts they should play Ding Dong the Witch is Dead and even if it doesn't they should play it. They're just playing the songs in the chart, they should not refuse to play a song based on external political reasons. They did it to "God Save the Queen" in 1979, weren't we supposedly liberated by Thatcher as the right wing keep telling us? Or does that not apply to the charts anymore, this censorship is a dangerous beginning of a mission creep that will lead to the outlawing of Rihanna videos for being too sexual or the banning of swear words from films to protect the children. They'll ban us buying any song that could be construed as sending a political message, let's say goodbye to most of the music from the 1970s, 1980s and even 1990s guys. This is the New World Order, the New Post-Thatcher World Order and my goodness it looks bleaker than the northern mining towns when she was in power which is no mean feat. It's not just our political leaders who are Thatcher's bowing children lusting after her ability to con the nation, it's the leaders of our institutions like the BBC. Is covering her state funeral (in all but name) not enough of a promotion of the pro-Thatcher brigade without censoring the charts based on the political beliefs of some.

Thatcher was controversial in life and she supposedly relished it, I get the feeling she'd be slightly satisfied that Ding Dong the Witch is Dead reached the charts because of her death, it means she made a big enough impact people are still bitter all these years on. The only people who think this is wrong are the hypocrites in her own party or with their heads buried in the latest edition of the Daily Mail Thatcher Saved the Nation collection lying propaganda machine and wait for more of her death being used by David Cameron to kick up some support for policies. Oh yes, with Gods like Thatcher who needs morals, who needs a society, who needs values. Thatcher never finished the job, Cameron will. The ones lauding Saint Margaret now were the ones who booted the witch out.
(edited 11 years ago)
The BBC do play it - cue Conservatives wailing at evil Communist leftie BBC
The BBC don't play it - BBC ironically looks like its not politically neutral

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I, for one, think they should play it.
Reply 8
I believe even though its meaning at the moment is very disgraceful it should be played, it shows the insensitivity and immaturity of people who mostly did live in Thatcher's Britain but still to this day benefit from the freedom she brought society and the release of the grip of undemocratic unions that any other prime minster would have forgone to. Do you exchange currency? Do you own a mobile phone? Are you aspiring for a career that is not like you parents? Do you value social mobility? Then she benefited you.
Wonderful BBC - How very conscientious of the fact that we live in a pluralistic democracy, just because there will be offense, if you don't like it here's an idea... don't listen?
Reply 10
Still think they should play it.
Reply 11
Edit: it's now #29.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a472748/margaret-thatcher-fans-launch-alternative-no1-facebook-campaign.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9990386/Im-In-Love-with-Margaret-Thatcher-anthem-aiming-to-rival-witch-song-in-charts.html

It's getting loads of publicity. And it's climbing the charts fast. Apparently The Sun are on their way to interview the Notsensibles.

And the BBC have said they're only playing Ding Dong the Witch is dead is for 4-5 seconds.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Edit: it's now #29.

Make that 24.
When's the actual chart programme on? Sunday?
(edited 11 years ago)
#24 in the charts now according to the Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/360169907421522/
Reply 15
All Margaret Thatcher stuff aside, I do think society is funny when we start playing games like this! Makes me chuckle.
Reply 16
Can I download it from Amazon to make it count?
Original post by meenu89
Can I download it from Amazon to make it count?

So long as it's the UK website, yeah.
Reply 18
Original post by pol pot noodles
So long as it's the UK website, yeah.

Done.
Original post by Rybee
All Margaret Thatcher stuff aside, I do think society is funny when we start playing games like this! Makes me chuckle.

Same. Radio 4 just mentioned this campaign too :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending