The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU course M140 (Statistics)

Hi guys,

I opted for the Mathematics for Sciences Certificate of Higher Education (120 credits) consisting of:

MU123
MST121
M140
MS221

I did want to take two modules at the same time but didn't realize this until it was too late. I'm currently progressing through MU123 and wanted to know when October comes should I opt to do MST121 with MS221 or MST121 with M140. I'd like to get two modules done between October 2013 and June 2014. I ended up starting from MU123 as they kept insisting it was a better choice to get you comfortable with MST121 but it is quite a bit easier than I expected, so I'm sat here waiting for October to come.

I'd like to get into Computer Science and statistics seems to be important in that field. Difficulty wise is M140 similar to MU123 or MST121 as all three are level 1 courses yet MST121 seems to be A-level equivalent whilst MU123 is GCSE equivalent so what does that make M140?

Are there better modules out there that would better prepare me than those listed above as I might still be able to change before October comes.

Thanks for your time
Hi!
I noticed you haven't got a reply yet and only have a couple of days if you haven't decided, so though i'd try and say a bit if you still need the help.
I'm taking M140 similarly to you but was only allowed 1 module to begin with because of my age and circumstances so have to choose my feb modules. I've been advised not to take MST121 as MST124 (first available in feb) supposedly leaves near to no gap for other modules whereas 121 does. MS221 isn't being replaced for another year as far as i'm aware so i'd go for the one maybe?
As for the difficulty, i took statistics at A level for maths and further maths... I've been told it escalates to just harder than that so i'd assume closer to MST121, but the advice might be wrong, but hoping not :s
Good luck! x
(edited 10 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
MST124 simultaneously with MS221 will be a stretch unless you are already comfortable with A-level-standard maths. Some of MS221 goes beyond A-level, and the general style of it is more mathematically sophisticated, i.e. "here is the thinking behind it" rather than "here are a load of techniques, practice them".

Quick Reply

Latest