The Student Room Group

fav alevel subject, why?

Scroll to see replies

Biology - I like because it just interests me (plant biology can go to hell though :tongue:)
Chemistry - most intellectually stimulating because our teacher gives us stretch and challenge every lesson
Physics - dull as hell but once you know the formulae you're OK

So for me it depends on the day. If we are doing muscles in biology then that wins, if it is a normal day then chemistry... never physics :awesome:
Reply 41
Original post by study beats
huh?

Ha yeah that bit confused me too. Came out of nowhere.
Reply 42
edexcel should either sell themselves....or change their name to Edexcel Maths.......

they have no idea what they are doing

The thing that annoys me most about A-levels is the markscheme culture, basically if its not on the markscheme, its not valuable? what kind of **** is that, that is the one thing I think they should change, be more open to other ideas than just what they decided to print one day. But the markschemes for maths are very accurate as there is one right answer, unlike explanatory subjects
huh?

its a subject where you have barely any learning of content (compared to history english or geography say)
you just learn various techniques and apply it, which is preferable to me
Original post by Robbie242
The thing that annoys me most about A-levels is the markscheme culture, basically if its not on the markscheme, its not valuable? what kind of **** is that, that is the one thing I think they should change, be more open to other ideas than just what they decided to print one day. But the markschemes for maths are very accurate as there is one right answer, unlike explanatory subjects

But doesn't the Examined Guidelines say that the mark schemes doesn't contain all the correct answers.
Just the other day I was going through Exemplar materials (Results Plus) along with the marking scheme (Biology AS) and could clearly see that the examiner hasn't been too strict on making sure the answer its in the marking scheme.

BTW its really a good excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

i agree, edexcel has this tradition of "monkey see, monkey doo" discipline, stupid ***** cant think for themselves and be more flexible with their answers
Geography was my favourite.
Mainly because it was really interesting, which made it really enjoyable. It was also helped by the 2 amazing teachers that we had. The people in my class being a right laugh helped a bit as well.
Original post by yoitsro
its a subject where you have barely any learning of content (compared to history english or geography say)
you just learn various techniques and apply it, which is preferable to me

who are you
Reply 48
i agree, edexcel has this tradition of "monkey see, monkey doo" discipline, stupid ***** cant think for themselves and be more flexible with their answers

All exam boards do tbh, I think I've seen AQA to be the least like this, but edexcel and ocr come close joint 1st, some of the examiners don't even do the subject at times! (though for history they usually do, for others its just lets play read off the markscheme)
who are you

huh :confused:
Reply 50
I despise Edexcel for everything apart from maths, for history they expect candidates to pick 1 key thing out of the source, and if you don't (but make other good judgements) you go from an A to a C hmmph

Really? I do Edexcel History and that's never been an issue me, or anyone in my class, has faced. The teacher hasn't even mentioned anything about it. The thing we get told that can do that is not adding in enough specific CKG to support your judgments.

But then again, I'm doing the Cold War whereas you might be doing something different.
Chemistry: As a child, I’d envision real-life reactions occurring at the molecular level. It was around the age of 6 that I’d read my first science book and realized that the world as I knew it was comprised of atoms. From then, when observing things like flames I tried to imagine the interactions of these particles. This became the basis of my present fascination of Chemistry.
Reply 52
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
But doesn't the Examined Guidelines say that the mark schemes doesn't contain all the correct answers.
Just the other day I was going through Exemplar materials (Results Plus) along with the marking scheme (Biology AS) and could clearly see that the examiner hasn't been too strict on making sure the answer its in the marking scheme.

BTW its really a good excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

@ the bold, are you saying I'm using this as an excuse for sub-standard Jan results?

I actually got my economics paper remarked and it went up 8ums points, some examiners are just lazy, getting my history remark back as well fingers crossed
All exam boards do tbh, I think I've seen AQA to be the least like this, but edexcel and ocr come close joint 1st, some of the examiners don't even do the subject at times! (though for history they usually do, for others its just lets play read off the markscheme)

what idiots
Original post by reubenkinara
Chemistry: As a child, I’d envision real-life reactions occurring at the molecular level. It was around the age of 6 that I’d read my first science book and realized that the world as I knew it was comprised of atoms. From then, when observing things like flames I tried to imagine the interactions of these particles. This became the basis of my present fascination of Chemistry.

if u think chemistrys fascinating, thats the equivalent of seeing paint drying as exciting
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by yoitsro
huh :confused:

what do u want u rapist
Reply 56
what do u want u rapist

Well that escalated quickly
Reply 57
Art! I love my class and I find drawing/doing art very stress-relieving.
But the coursework- uh uh :frown:

I loooove geography too. you have to learn so much but it's super super interesting!
Biology! I am just fascinated by the systems all living things have evolved to keep them alive. It can be very complicated sometimes but that makes it more interesting to me. So many processes all working together, it's pretty awesome. I love maths as well, I do maths and FM, but I'm struggling a lot with FM right now. I don't need it to meet my university offers (I have a full A-Level in geography from year 12) so I'm quite demotivated.
if u think chemistrys fascinating, thats the equivalent of seeing paint drying as exciting

What do you prefer?

Quick Reply

Latest