The Student Room Group

Group members who do sweet nothing!

I'm in my first year of a Business Studies degree and for Management, we have to do an hour long presentation on the 24th of this month.

The only problem is that my team mates have done absolutely nothing and therefore have been left to do it all myself. I have only done like 10 slides and I know I probably have no chance of getting it all done on time.

The thing is... I'm not sure I'm absolutely comfortable with letting my team mates present with me, acting as if they contributed a sufficient amount when they have done nothing. However, I don't want to be seen as a grass but I am so annoyed! It's like they don't care what grade they get!

What should I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Well, as it's the first year it isn't quite as terrible as it might be for the second or third year. It depends if you need to do well - If it's going to affect things like placement opportunities, then speak up. If you're not assessed in your first year, you could just let it slide.

You could also contact the module leader and let them know your position - Sometimes they will just give everyone individual consideration and thus, they'll score a lot lower (if at all). You'll be given more marks and they'll see that you had to do more and probably mark you on work achieved instead of the entire project.

The alternative, which I did when compiling a report (12 members in the group, half of that actually offered something to it) was write at the top "These people contributed to the report".
Reply 2
make your teacher/lecturer awear of this? I'm sure he will understand. I've had this happen to me and so the teaher gave them low marks and me a high one, not mentioning that I had said anything.
Reply 3
You can always have private conversation / meeting with your module teacher/lecturer, and let them know of the situation :smile:
Reply 4
Crack the whip, give them tasks to do and give them a deadline. If they don't oblige with this then inform your lecturer.

Your username is contradictory to the situation though so I don't know how credible this story is :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mockery
Crack the whip, give them tasks to do and give them a deadline. If they don't oblige with this then inform your lecturer.

Your username is contradictory to the situation though so I don't know how credible this story is :lol:

Lol it is credible! I guess I like to procrastinate but am willing to put the work in when it comes to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I like how your username is slacker lol.

Have you told them to do anything? I'm not comfortable bossing people around either but sometimes people just won't volunteer to do stuff on their own and need to be told what to do heh. If they protest remind them of all the stuff you've done already.

Also maybe divide tasks out at the beginning of the project so if you do your bit and they don't do theirs then it's just tough luck

But you're only in first year so it don't count yet, don't worry too much
Reply 7
Original post by deadwing
I like how your username is slacker lol.

Have you told them to do anything? I'm not comfortable bossing people around either but sometimes people just won't volunteer to do stuff on their own and need to be told what to do heh. If they protest remind them of all the stuff you've done already.

Also maybe divide tasks out at the beginning of the project so if you do your bit and they don't do theirs then it's just tough luck

But you're only in first year so it don't count yet, don't worry too much

We still have to get over 40% to progress into 2nd year of study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had the same thing. The team leader has gone AWOL after three tasks and I had to do the remaining seven by myself. The other team members did nothing.

But then at the end, we had to rate each other's performance. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending