The Student Room Group

How hard are you revising for the subject that you are most certainly going to drop?

I want to drop maths next year at A2 almost indefinitely but I just don't know how much work I should be putting in, afterall I don't want a bad grade. Any suggestions?
Reply 1
You should aim to revise for it just as hard as all your other AS levels because:
A) An AABb (for example) is more appealing than an AABd/c. Since your going to be up against other applicants (assuming you want to go to uni) with four AS levels and 3 A2 your AS could be be the difference between being rejected or accepted.

B) In the unlikely event that something goes wrong in one of your other subject and you are not allowed to carry it on to a2, maths will give you a good grade to fall back on.
Well I'm in A2 now but I probably worked hardest for Spanish (which I dropped after AS) than for the others cause if I'd done badly I would have had to carry it on to A2 to be able to retake and I really couldn't stand the thought of that!
In your case, you should treat Maths the same way you treat other subjects - there's no point getting a bad grade in it just cause you think you might drop it. You haven't dropped it yet so it is still important. And you might not end up dropping it so it would be foolish to neglect it.
I'm feeling exactly the same way, I'm taking Maths too and really struggle with graph related stuff (didn't realise how badly until I started A-level!) so know I'm not taking it next year and don't want any efforts with Maths to take away from the other subjects I love. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest