The Student Room Group
Fat deposits really quickly around the stomach and thighs, I think they're the main areas. Stomach is not hard to lose weight if you stick to a strict schedule of sit ups, curl ups, leg up etc, and running as well. With thighs its a bit harder. If you go to the gym at all you can see there are plenty of leg excercises to do, but most of them involve building up more muscle around that area (think footballers thighs). Running and bikeing is the best remedy for big thighs I've heard.
Hope that helps :confused:
Reply 2
Smimming is great for all round fat loss. Slow jogging too. You can do toning exercises too but these are really only for muscle definition. You are never going to see results unless you also lose the fat deposits through cardi exercises.
Sit at your computer all day and moan about it - that'll give you results. Not the ones you're looking for, but they're still results.

Alternatively - copy the actions in this video of a fun guitar-poppy England World Cup song
Reply 4
Anonymous
I do sit ups to tone my stomach, cos I'm also a bit big round there,

if you're fat you aint gonna tone your stomach by doing situps. You can't tone a muscle.

you can only lose weight - cardio work.
Reply 5
Yeh I kind of agree with above post, you can do a million sit ups a day but shifting fat is more about cardio and diet, so hit the treadmill
Reply 6
Arrgh........yeah! Problem area for me too, I'm afraid! Curse my Spanish genes and dumb pear-shapedness. It's really annoying I know, as soon as I put on weight it goes to thighs/hips/ass then boobies, soon as I loose weight I get told I look gaunt cos you can see my ribs. If you loose enough weight though your thighs will shrink, but be careful you only slim to a size which loks healthy and natural on you. At the mo I'm 10.6 according to scales this morning, but I'm aiming for my old weight of 9.8, at which I had slim thighs albeit little breasts, but I don't really mind that. Bear in mind though, whatever weight you are your body will just be a bigger/ smaller version of your natural proportions. Also remember that you cannot spot reduce fat, it is impossible. I find running, lunges, squats, walking helps tone my sorta shape and shift weight. Also, by toning your arms and shoulders you "frame" curvier hips and thighs nicely. Show off bits of your body you like, for me as a pear this is my tummy/ waist/arms and calves a bit too. A-Line skirts are a godsend, as are pencil skirts as they show off your curvy ass and legs. Flared/ bootcut jeans are also a must and heels look good with a skirt, obviously. Don't worry, just dress to suit your figure or embark on a healthy eating/ exercise plan to reduce body fat/ tone (be patient ANNOYINGLY the lower body is the last place weight will come off...but it does eventually.) Good luck, PM me if you have anymore queries...I am the resident thigh expert lol.
SWIMMING, its the best all round exercise, cardio + toning because of water resistence. Go early in the morning and it will set u up for the rest of the day, then u might walk further then u usually do.
It's easy to advise swimming but if you've got big thighs it's the last thing you want to do. (I have the same problem). I've basically just joined my gym, got a price reduction due to GP, and told them problem areas they then design exercise programmes around you.
Reply 9
HipsAndHearts
It's easy to advise swimming but if you've got big thighs it's the last thing you want to do. (I have the same problem).
Yes, true. But when I used to go swimming I went in the mornings when there were only (very few) grannies and mums with little kids at the swimming pool. They didn't bother me.
The-Lennon
price reduction?

Yeah for a certain amount of time you can get money off the fees of the gym.
Ron Stoppable
Sit at your computer all day and moan about it - that'll give you results. Not the ones you're looking for, but they're still results.

Alternatively - copy the actions in this video of a fun guitar-poppy England World Cup song

Hey- don't be so unconstructive, if thats the best advice you have to give
to someone who's down about themselves then they'd probably rather you kept it to yourself!

To the op- I'm afraid getting thinner thighs would probably involve embarking on an all-round weight loss/fitness plan, cutting down the amount of calories you eat and increasing the amount of exercise you do because you CAN'T burn fat in only 1 area. There are specific exercised you can do to tone/build up your leg muscles though. I'd recommend jogging + yoga.
Lucyvet2006
Hey- don't be so unconstructive, if thats the best advice you have to give
to someone who's down about themselves then they'd probably rather you kept it to yourself!

To the op- I'm afraid getting thinner thighs would probably involve embarking on an all-round weight loss/fitness plan, cutting down the amount of calories you eat and increasing the amount of exercise you do because you CAN'T burn fat in only 1 area. There are specific exercised you can do to tone/build up your leg muscles though. I'd recommend jogging + yoga.

Lucyloooo, the top bit was in jest. The second bit, however, was quite serious and is very fun!
The-Lennon
really really fat
means

Mod Edit :smile:
hey, id advise (as someone else also said) to go on a whole diet to reduce calorie intake and also do exercise (eg jogging, cycling - good for toning btw, sit-ups etc). Swimming, whilst being really good, as someone else pointed out, is sooo uncomfortable when all the people around you are stick insects and you end up feeling like a blasted beach whale! We dont really have private swimming pools where i live, and the limited number that exist are soo expensive, but the beach is good.. but theres the problem of people staring at you in bikinis.. god! :eek:
yeah i agree, swimming is good. just ignore all the other swimmers - they'll all be just as selfconscious as you in their own way, and too busy worrying about how their own bodies look to be bothered about yours. also, the more you do the quicker you'll lose weight and/or tone up, so after the first few sessions 'twont be a problem. lunges are good for toning up leg muscles; have a look at the army website - slightly random, but they have good exercises to try.

now, if only i took my own advice... :biggrin: