The Student Room Group

Best resources for Theory test?

What are the best resources (either books/CDs/DVDs/apps) to use to pass theory test and learn the rules of the road? Wondering if it's still worth getting The Highway Code off Amazon as it was published in 2007 so hasn't been updated for 6 years.
Reply 1
I used a hazard perception dvd to practice that part of the theory test, i also brought a book with all the possible questions and answers in for the year i was doing the test (it wasn't very expensive) and i just went through a chapter a day and passed it first time.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Theory-Test-Drivers-Book/dp/0115532315/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365962439&sr=8-1&keywords=official+dvla+theory+test+2013

This official book is ideal. You can probably find the highway code free on the internet, but this book has just about every question you could possibly be asked on the test.
Reply 3
Original post by PythianLegume
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Theory-Test-Drivers-Book/dp/0115532315/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365962439&sr=8-1&keywords=official+dvla+theory+test+2013

This official book is ideal. You can probably find the highway code free on the internet, but this book has just about every question you could possibly be asked on the test.

Oh wow, it has a near perfect rating! Definitely will be getting this thanks!:biggrin:

Original post by xxchloexo
I used a hazard perception dvd to practice that part of the theory test, i also brought a book with all the possible questions and answers in for the year i was doing the test (it wasn't very expensive) and i just went through a chapter a day and passed it first time.

Which hazard perception DVD did you use?
Reply 4
Original post by Naami

Which hazard perception DVD did you use?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Hazard-Perception/dp/B0040QD1PQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365963014&sr=8-3&keywords=hazard+perception+test+2013+dvd

Something along the lines of this :smile: was just useful to do practices to know what your looking for, the book that i used was the same as PythianLegume has posted a link to it was really good! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by xxchloexo
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Hazard-Perception/dp/B0040QD1PQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365963014&sr=8-3&keywords=hazard+perception+test+2013+dvd

Something along the lines of this :smile: was just useful to do practices to know what your looking for, the book that i used was the same as PythianLegume has posted a link to it was really good! :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 7
This is good http://www.drivingtheory4all.co.uk/Public/Default.aspx nearly ready for my theory test thanks to this. It let's you learn then practice the subjects then take a mock test
Reply 8

I passed my theory last Thursday and all I used was this. It literally has everything you could ever need on it.
Once you're consistently getting good scores, you're ready for your test.
It was so much like the real test it was unbelievable, I was so happy :smile:
Reply 10
Get The LDC CD Rom.
I Found It Really Good And Helpful In Comparison To The DSA's Version (I Had Both):cool:
Reply 11
I passed my theory recently. I went through the Highway code which is free online and used official DSA theory book for practice questions and the dvd for hazard perception. On top of that, for extra hazard perception clips I used the free resources available online. The Learner Driving school hazard perception was especially helpful(I think there were 25 clips). U can also consider getting the LDC dvd as it has most of the different types of clips you can expect on your live test.
Reply 12
This is a really good, free resource for hazard perception practice;
Click here
They have loads of clips you can do individually or as part of a mock test. I used it and did well in that part.

For the multiple choice part I just used resources by driving instructor gave me.
There are loads of mock tests online, just do a google search :smile:
Reply 13

I did (though the 2012 version) and couldn't really fault it, it's got everything you need on it :smile:
Use the DSA Official App
Basically theory test is pretty simple. i passed mine just under two weeks ago and i study full time. The best thing for the hazard perception test is sit in the passenger seat of like your mum's car or something and on your journey just identify all hazards that you come across. this will make your reaction time gradually improve. I actually read the official highway code last summer and jut did loads of practice question like a week before my test. Its all about practice, practice, practice.
Reply 16
I've bought the DVD I linked earlier, haven't tried it yet as suddenly my computer has broken down :angry: I'm halfway through reading the highway code on gov.uk, then I'll start the DVD - do you reckon I can pass this test in 3 weeks time provided I spent an 1 hour a day on it?
Reply 17
Original post by Naami
I've bought the DVD I linked earlier, haven't tried it yet as suddenly my computer has broken down :angry: I'm halfway through reading the highway code on gov.uk, then I'll start the DVD - do you reckon I can pass this test in 3 weeks time provided I spent an 1 hour a day on it?

With ease, do a mock test when u get ur computer working and you will see how easy it is, I guarantee you will get at least 35 as most of it is just common sense :smile: There are apps available on iOS and android if u wanna revise on the move:wink:

EDIT: Yeah the driving test success is excellent, I used the 2012 version and only did mock tests, the parts you got wrong had sections from the highway code to explain why it was wrong. The practical videos are useless tho :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending