The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Bham repuation amongst Magic circle

Firstly to those of you who had seen my silmular posts around very sorry - thought I'd try the Birmingham forum haha
Basically I just wanted to know what. Birminghams reputation amongst the magic circle is like - I mean roughly how many in a year group would get a mc tc ?
Before anyone jumps down my throat I know that all the mc Firms visit the law firm give dinner blah blah but I'm talking about proper trainee recruitment - reason why I ask is that although I've heard all the above countless times I was (sad I know) going through Bham alumni from 2010 on LinkedIn and I didn't come across a single graduate that's was at a mc firm tbh i didn't find very many that went in to a training contracte either :/
So if your at Bham or already left any thoughts
I know essentially birmingham wont hold me back but it is a bit disheartening, essp as I liked it so much when I saw it and am seriously consjderjng firming it over Bristol (crazy I know)
Oh and if anyones gonna have a go at me for aiming for mc firms and rant on about long hours etc go away - its my ambition so I don't see anything wrong with that

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by alleta95
Firstly to those of you who had seen my silmular posts around very sorry - thought I'd try the Birmingham forum haha
Basically I just wanted to know what. Birminghams reputation amongst the magic circle is like - I mean roughly how many in a year group would get a mc tc ?
Before anyone jumps down my throat I know that all the mc Firms visit the law firm give dinner blah blah but I'm talking about proper trainee recruitment - reason why I ask is that although I've heard all the above countless times I was (sad I know) going through Bham alumni from 2010 on LinkedIn and I didn't come across a single graduate that's was at a mc firm tbh i didn't find very many that went in to a training contracte either :/
So if your at Bham or already left any thoughts
I know essentially birmingham wont hold me back but it is a bit disheartening, essp as I liked it so much when I saw it and am seriously consjderjng firming it over Bristol (crazy I know)
Oh and if anyones gonna have a go at me for aiming for mc firms and rant on about long hours etc go away - its my ambition so I don't see anything wrong with that

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

although I know little about Brum as a uni with Magic circle firms I did question a professor on one of the applicant visit days and he said that they have various visits to several magic circle firms and that leading professionals often come to the university for talks (which may be a good way to 'get your foot in the door' as it were)
But I'm going to be following this post as I'd also be very interested in the true responses for this seeing as I've firmed Birmingham for law for sep 2013. Where else have you applied to for law? Are you going to be studying it this next year or...? :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Beth_Armitage
although I know little about Brum as a uni with Magic circle firms I did question a professor on one of the applicant visit days and he said that they have various visits to several magic circle firms and that leading professionals often come to the university for talks (which may be a good way to 'get your foot in the door' as it were)
But I'm going to be following this post as I'd also be very interested in the true responses for this seeing as I've firmed Birmingham for law for sep 2013. Where else have you applied to for law? Are you going to be studying it this next year or...? :smile:

Heyy, yeah I've heard all those things about the magic circle coming to visit and that but like I said looking at some graduate profiles from 09-11 I couldn't find a single person :/ someone told me that Bham grads prefer to stay in the midlands so :/
ive got an offer from Bham and bristol so I'm a bit confused everyone's telling me I should firm Bristol coz its so good apparently. But I just felt mre comfortable at Bham - I come from London so it was like being home tbh
Yeah it'll be interesting to hear these replies
Reply 4
I've seen that 20 million times lol and according to that Birmingham are well placed ... Not as much as Bristol/lse and that but it looks decent . I mean for mc firms they are apparently more represented that Warwick/kings/exter/soas all of which I've been told has a 'better rep'
but like I said Ive seen a very low amount of acutaly Bham grads with training contracts full stop let alone a mc one
any Birmingham graduates/3rd years thoughts ?
Reply 5
I'm not a law student, and I'm hoping you get some useful responses. If I'm honest though, I wouldn't expect these people who are by definition very busy (final year law students and trainees) to be milling around on here currently. You may want to try contacting those that you do come across on LinkedIn etc and getting their thoughts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending