The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Would You Ever Accept A Muslim UK Prime Minister?

Would you ever accept a Muslim UK Prime Minister?

Similarly, would you ever accept a radical Christian UK Prime Minister?

(Emphasis on the radical for the latter PM.)

Thoughts?

P.S.
Note that this Muslim PM could be of any ethnicity.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would have to accept it...doesn't mean I would vote for either.
Reply 2
cha;p above has a point if theyre already in power it makes little difference what i accept or dont but for the sake of this arguement no on both counts.
Reply 3
You mean something like if someone like that would get voted in power we'd whack them for the greater good?

Else, I don't see much how you can not accept a PM.
Reply 4
As long as they acted in a secular manner.
Original post by HumanSupremacist

Thoughts?

P.S.

Depends on whether or not their policies reflect that faith. And, if so, in what ways. In itself I don't think religion is a positive or negative attribute in a leader.
Don't mind a person of any faith taking office, wouldn't want a radical of any faith taking office
Reply 7
It would make a nice change from a long list of privileged white men, and one woman.
Depends what his/her policies where. He/she could worship the flying spaghetti monster for all I care as long as they didn't force it on anyone else and stuck to the policies they ran their campaign on.
It would be all about the policies as all politics should be.
Yes.

No.
Reply 11
Original post by Tibbs735
Depends what his/her policies where. He/she could worship the flying spaghetti monster for all I care as long as they didn't force it on anyone else and stuck to the policies they ran their campaign on.

This.
Reply 12

Thoughts?

P.S.

I would love a Muslim PM, if he/she was going to be a just and honest leader. If not, then no. Tony Blair was catholic..i believe, Religion doesn't bother me too much, just do a good job.
Reply 13
Willing to bet that the UK will never ever have a PM who isnt Christian or secular.
Original post by uob
As long as they acted in a secular manner.

Original post by TritonSails
Depends on whether or not their policies reflect that faith. And, if so, in what ways. In itself I don't think religion is a positive or negative attribute in a leader.

But, surely, if somebody really truly believed in something, that faith and whatnot would affect every aspect of their lives? How exactly could a world leader separate their faith from their politics and whatnot unless they were only half-hearted in their belief in the first place?

Are you trying to equate Muslim to "radical Christian"? :lolwut: Just so you know, not all Muslims are fanatic clerics looking to impose their beliefs on others.
Reply 16
But, surely, if somebody really truly believed in something, that faith and whatnot would affect every aspect of their lives? How exactly could a world leader separate their faith from their politics and whatnot unless they were only half-hearted in their belief in the first place?

I feel that people could hold sincere beliefs but at the same time accepting that the vast majority do not hold similar beliefs, and so, ensure policy is shaped by what can be accepted by reason.
As already said many times, only if I agreed with the policies put forward by that particular party.

Don't give a toss what ethnicity/religion the PM would be, only politics matters at the end of the day.
Reply 18
Provided they don't decide to try and implement shariah law or base their policies on their religion then yes of course I would accept them if they've been elected democratically.
Reply 19
No to a Muslim and no to a Christian. I personally don't want anymore religious Prime Minsters... But we all know that aint happening soon.

Latest

Trending

Trending