The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
PurpleSnow
HALLELUJA!!! HALLELUJA!!!
I'm considering staying at my current school, as I really want to do Latin, our school is the only one that does it round here.

And is it true that the *beeps* in the lower school seem to not bother you anymore because you're in your own clothes and enjoying yourself more?

pretty much..yeah!

we had to wear suits, so the yr7s often mistook us for teachers
I was going to go to a new school thats supposed to be good, but now Im not sure. I want to stay at my school, as Ive grown quite attached to it
when you say that teachers are more friendly and treat you as adults, do you mean the teachers that you have for your a level subjects only or all teachers in the school?
PurpleSnow
And is it true that the *beeps* in the lower school seem to not bother you anymore because you're in your own clothes and enjoying yourself more?

Most of the time, yes. Unfortunately you still get the odd idiot making comments or whatever to look big in front of their mates :rolleyes: but they pretty much leave you alone, like they're suddenly scared of you just because you're no longer in uniform!
Dr_Evil_666
when you say that teachers are more friendly and treat you as adults, do you mean the teachers that you have for your a level subjects only or all teachers in the school?

Well, apart from your A-level teachers, form tutor and head of year, you don't really associate with other teachers apart from perhaps a greeting if you see them walk past and you know them. The majority of teachers do treat you a lot better, but there are still a few that treat you exactly the same as they did when you were in Year 9! It's annoying, but you learn to avoid them, unless you have the misfortune of being taught by one of them, as I did for English lit in Year 12.
Reply 45
kellywood_5
but there are still a few that treat you exactly the same as they did when you were in Year 9! It's annoying, but you learn to avoid them, unless you have the misfortune of being taught by one of them, .

Thats so true. My AS history teacher, despite being a my favourite teacher ever, still xpected hands up and for us to stand up when another teacher entered the room, whereas other teachers wavered these
Suzi_law
Thats so true. My AS history teacher, despite being a my favourite teacher ever, still xpected hands up and for us to stand up when another teacher entered the room, whereas other teachers wavered these

Do you get a cup of tea in the lessons?
Reply 47
Independence is important in Sixth Form.
Reply 48
PurpleSnow
Do you get a cup of tea in the lessons?

Lol no. We actually got told off for taking food and drink into his lessons when most other teachers didnt appear to mind much unless people were eating mcdonalds lol
Suzi_law
Lol no. We actually got told off for taking food and drink into his lessons when most other teachers didnt appear to mind much unless people were eating mcdonalds lol

The previously mentioned Year 12 English teacher was like that as well. Incidentally so was another one I had in Year 13, but we assumed it was because she's really fat and she'd get jealous of all the food :p:
Reply 50
kellywood_5
The previously mentioned Year 12 English teacher was like that as well. Incidentally so was another one I had in Year 13, but we assumed it was because she's really fat and she'd get jealous of all the food :p:

I had one like that this year. She kept moaning about her diet lol. In the end she brought in two massive chocolate cakes from Sainsbury's for our class, and ate about 3/4 of one by herself! I think we converted her by ignoring her moans and bringing in junk each day lol
Suzi_law
I had one like that this year. She kept moaning about her diet lol. In the end she brought in two massive chocolate cakes from Sainsbury's for our class, and ate about 3/4 of one by herself! I think we converted her by ignoring her moans and bringing in junk each day lol

Lol sounds good. One of my friends could literally open her own sweet shop with the amount she brought into school every day, so she was the 'supplier' :smile:
I'm quite looking forward to it, really-if my results are good. At my school, you also get to be involved in more societies like voluntary services and Young Enterprise. And there's the fact that you only have to study what you like.
Reply 53
I moved to 6th form last year and its been really great. I didnt enjoy my school very much and I didnt like doing some of the subjects - but starting 6th form has really helped. I get on really well with my tutors, who are more like friends and much more approachable. They genuinely want to help rather than some school teachers who dont really want to sit with you and plan an essay for example. There are generally smaller classes too so you get much more attention, which helps with revision and your understanding of the subject. As for the gap between GCSE and AS level -There is a BIG difference. I think that most important thing is that you are really interested in the subject you are studying. I took and AS level in a subject I didnt enjoy because I thought I should and couldnt cope with the work load and didnt want to spend my time on it. As long as you choose subjects you are really keen on you should be fine. Geereally subjects go into more depth than at GCSE and you have to rely more on what you study in class, rahter than stuff you read in revision guides.

Good luck to all who are starting 6th form. You will enjoy it!
Reply 54
I've finished sixth form, awaiting my A2 level results and then hopefully uni, but I found sixth form much better than year 11.

I won't go into much, as most people have covered the big jump from GCSE's to AS and A2 levels -- it was a scary jump. I took Religious Studies at GCSE and then carried it onto AS/A2 level and the exam questions, the actual content on what we had to study/learn was just incredible. A friend's younger brother who was doing his GCSE RS while we were doing our A2 RS, had a question for 6 marks, one of the highest marked questions, that said 'Explain why some Christians do not agree with abortion' (or something to that sounding) and then one of ours was something to do with how the cosmological argument could be used in conjunction with the big bang theory to support the existence of an eternal God...or something along those lines, I forget, I blocked it out :biggrin: heh

But you get me. It was weird, to go from blaggable questions in GCSE and getting A*'s and A's, to getting some very tough cookies and getting B's and C's *shrug* but you do get into the rhythm of things.

Never believe anyone who said that the AS levels are harder than the A2 levels (as with Mock GCSEs to prepare you from that bigger jump). Maybe in some cases, depending on what you're better at, but not overall....never *trembles*

Sixth form I could be my own person though, it's weird wearing your own clothes and a lot of people try not to wear the same outfit twice in a month but by the end no-one really cares. I found it easier to talk to teachers as actual people, they tend to respect you more as an adult than a kid that needs to be taught, though that isn't a rule for every teacher. It also might have just been my sixth form year, but 99% of your sixth form will hopefully be of people who want to learn. If you high-school offers a sixth form then you'd be surprised at the amount of people who teased or ignored you in year 11, who now will talk to you openly and invite you to their birthdays and such.

Plus, if you have a good sixth form head-boy and girl, the sixth form events and such can be very enjoyable :biggrin:.

Beware those who want to be carried through A-levels, or who aren't really that bothered -- this isn't the place for you. Teachers will not nag you for homework/coursework/essays as much as they did, if you can't be bothered to do the work then you will be asked to leave the class/lesson or left to fail miserably. They do help, but they treat you like adults, therefore mostly it's on you to succeed. Also those who want to mess around in class, most of the time the rest of the class will no appreciate it and you'll get a long in-depth complaint from the teacher who now feels they can be more open and adult about things and will go into depth their drinking tales from the previous night and why they are not in the mood for your antics

Just me? ^_^ heh

All in all, I adored sixth form. The workload was terrifying at first but you get used to it, and there are always people to help you out.
Reply 55
I am terrified- both about the leap in difficulty, but also about whether I have chosen the right subjects. I feel like I don't know where I am going at all, which is really strange since I always used to have a very strong sense of direction.
:eek:
:eek3:
I dunno, I imagined it how the OP did...no class boundaries etc, both yr12 and 13 seen as one 'big' year

But it wasn't really like that, I mean it was more friendly and people got on better since our sixth form is very contained but the year division still applied and the cliques still existed...they are very hard habits to break after 6 years considering if they were formed in yr7
Reply 57
Mkali
A friend's younger brother who was doing his GCSE RS while we were doing our A2 RS, had a question for 6 marks, one of the highest marked questions, that said 'Explain why some Christians do not agree with abortion' (or something to that sounding) and then one of ours was something to do with how the cosmological argument could be used in conjunction with the big bang theory to support the existence of an eternal God...or something along those lines, I forget, I blocked it out :biggrin: heh

I would find the latter of those two questions easier. Why do you think it is more difficult?
Reply 58
harr
I would find the latter of those two questions easier. Why do you think it is more difficult?

Simply because you have to go into more detail than with the first, and the question is worth 45 or something marks, with about the same amount of time to do two of them in as the GCSE one. The first question, I think I had something similar, is simply 'Christian's believe life is sacred, do not murder, etc etc etc' whereas the latter requires more indepth analysis, as well as more than one source of quotes and ideas etc
Reply 59
You didn't mention the length of the question originally though. That will of course have a big impact. Though in the GCSE paper I actually answered a question very similar to the second (it was a bit vaguer) which was worth 20 marks and am more confident on that last question than on the shorter questions in the rest of the test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending