The Student Room Group

Change From Yr11 To Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Surley they dont start untill Septemebr when everyone goes back?
Reply 141
i found my change really hard. Only just got used to it and I'm finished until Sept now lol!

The best thing to think going into 6th form I'd say to anyone is your GCSEs mean absolutely nothing. Straight A*s, so what doesn't even guarantee you Bs without serious work. That's where I fell over lol.
I'm really excited about leaving changing 'school'. I could've stayed on at a Sixth Form at my current school, but they didn't offer the subjects I wanted and I hated the place, the only negative being I won't have any friends when I start at sixth form, but I'm not worried about that.
Ooohh induction days on Monday & Tuesday. :smile: I'm actually quite looking forward to it.. :redface:
I've got induction days for my first choice sixth form on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'm looking forward to them, the induction days for my second choice sixth form were pretty shoddy.
I think I'm going to have to miss my induction on Monday, just had my tonsils out. :frown: Are they really that important?
I still haven't decided for definite where I am going!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am getting really worried. My choices are: a private all-girls school which I have a bursary at. I did want to go there but I am having second thoughts now. My other option is a really good, mixed state school - this is the one I want to go to but my mum keeps saying what a wonderful opportunity the bursary is. I know it is a wonderful opportunity and I do appreciate just how lucky I am to have an organisation offering to pay 100% of my school fees. It is just that I come from a bog-standard state school and I am worried that a) I am going to get bullied or shunned b) that I will be behind all of the students there and I don't want to be struggling to keep up for two years. ARGH!!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well, going to a private Girls school, I'd say go there. You won't be bullied-there'll definately be people there that'd be happy to take you in with their group-I know my group would accept people who seemed lonely...well I'd hope so anyway. And hey, we've all just done GCSEs and they're the same for the whole country. Yeah, they might have gone into a bit more detail, but the teachers would appreciate that you probably haven't, so there'd be nothing to worry about :smile:. And you have a great oppurtunity with the bursary, so I'd say go for it :smile:.
her-own-wings
I think I'm going to have to miss my induction on Monday, just had my tonsils out. :frown: Are they really that important?

Nope, it will be fine. I know someone who just missed their induction day, because she was having a brace fitted, and she's all set. :smile:
her-own-wings

I didn't even have an induction day before September, probably because I just stayed on at my own school, and in the two induction days in September, the first was a trip to Thorpe Park and the second was just sorting out timetables and a workshop on study skills. So I doubt you'll miss much.

Laura2712
I still haven't decided for definite where I am going!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am getting really worried. My choices are: a private all-girls school which I have a bursary at. I did want to go there but I am having second thoughts now. My other option is a really good, mixed state school - this is the one I want to go to but my mum keeps saying what a wonderful opportunity the bursary is. I know it is a wonderful opportunity and I do appreciate just how lucky I am to have an organisation offering to pay 100% of my school fees. It is just that I come from a bog-standard state school and I am worried that a) I am going to get bullied or shunned b) that I will be behind all of the students there and I don't want to be struggling to keep up for two years. ARGH!!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why did you want to go to the private school originally, but now you want to go to the state school? If it's just the reasons you gave at the end of your post, I wouldn't worry. I know it's a bit different, but I went to a bog standard state comprehensive for 7 years, after 7 years at a really bad state primary. I'm now at uni with a lot of students who went to private school for 14 years and I've had no problems at all. In my experience, if you don't make a big deal of your background, no one else does either. Generally people don't really care. As for being behind everyone else and struggling to keep up, I doubt that's true either if you're intelligent enough to have got a full bursary. I got better grades than most of the ex private school students I know and am doing at least as well as if not better than most of them in my degree so far, so towards the top end of the ability range, I don't think there's as much difference as people expect. Having said that all that, if you really feel you'd be happier at the state school, go there. Your mum just wants what's best for you and I'm sure she wouldn't want you to go somewhere you won't like as much just because you can.
Reply 150
Mine is on Wednesday. :afraid: Tis only for 3 hours though. :biggrin:
Thanks purple_girl and kellywood5. I never actually wanted to go to the private school. What it was was back in year 9 - my english teacher gave us a load of spelling tests before our SATS and I consistently got the highest in the class because I am good with spelling (allegedly) - lol. It is about the only thing I can do!!!!! Anyway, she suggested applying to a private school for my GCSEs because at that point my school was in special measures and she thought I would do better at the private school. Anyway, the long and short of it was that it was too late to apply for GCSE entry at that point in time so she said to try for sixth form. My mum and I looked around the school and decided it wasn't for me and that it was to expensive anyway. Then the registrar at the school rang us up and went on about this full bursary that was available... so I ended up applying for it.

In march I made a decision to go there because I thought it was the best option out of the three I had but since then I have been to the sixth form induction of the other school I want to go to and I enjoyed it. Also, I believe I can do further maths there but I can't at the private school because the timetable clashes. I know my mum only wants the best for me and I do appreciate the opportunity I've got - I am just apprehensive of the bitchiness associated with all-girls schools and the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. Argh! I am just having problems feeling that I have made the right decision with the private school - I just don't want to end up regretting it - lol.
OK so I had the first day my sixth form induction today, and it went pretty good. The only thing is like 80% or so of the people have been going to this school for five years, and already know each other really well. I got talking to quite a few people, no problems sitting with people in lessons or anything, but still feel a bit out of place. Am I being too optimistic for the first day? I know it's only induction but I would like to come out of it at least knowing a few people quite well so it's better in September. Any tips on getting to know people a bit more or being more confident?
Reply 153
thepiglette
OK so I had the first day my sixth form induction today, and it went pretty good. The only thing is like 80% or so of the people have been going to this school for five years, and already know each other really well. I got talking to quite a few people, no problems sitting with people in lessons or anything, but still feel a bit out of place. Am I being too optimistic for the first day? I know it's only induction but I would like to come out of it at least knowing a few people quite well so it's better in September. Any tips on getting to know people a bit more or being more confident?

Just be yourself. :smile: You've already started mixing in with everyone, so you can't expect yourself to fit right in on the first day. :p: You seem to be making friends already, so just keep doing what you're doing now. ;yes;
LPK
Just be yourself. :smile: You've already started mixing in with everyone, so you can't expect yourself to fit right in on the first day. :p: You seem to be making friends already, so just keep doing what you're doing now. ;yes;

I had my first induction day today, it was physics and maths/further maths. They both went pretty well, one problem is I don't know anyone doing the same courses as me, but I'm not too worried about that.
Reply 156
Had my induction morning today. :biggrin: Twas good. ;yes;
I had my computing induction session today. I didn't know there was so much programming, which I like.
My two induction days were a complete waste of time. :frown:

My form is rubbish, all the friendship groups have been split. Lessons were just the same as year 11; not exactly exciting. And the teachers were as obnoxious as ever.

Gah. :/
The transition is hard.
Worse than A level to University I think.
But you get used to it fast enough.

Quick Reply