The Student Room Group

Tattoo Bashing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think I'd consider a tattoo in commemoration of someone who'd passed away perhaps, but not much other than that. I can see why people get them for other reasons though, I just don't really like the look of them.
Original post by Jimbo1234
Never does the person actually mention the artistic quality or design of their...body art :facepalm2:

Sorry, that's not true. Many artists having waiting lists of years, specifically because of the artistic quality of their work.
Original post by WhyteBoar
Sorry, that's not true. Many artists having waiting lists of years, specifically because of the artistic quality of their work.

So why is it that when you ask someone why they got a tattoo do they not mention the design complementing features etc? Sure, they wait for specific artists to do the design they want or get a certain style but that is not the reason behind getting that tattoo eg. choosing the colour of a car rather than the actual type of car.
So why is it that when you ask someone why they got a tattoo do they not mention the design complementing features etc? Sure, they wait for specific artists to do the design they want or get a certain style but that is not the reason behind getting that tattoo eg. choosing the colour of a car rather than the actual type of car.

Well you have to remember that people get tattoos for many different reasons. There are people who get memorial tattoos or get a tattoo because they consider that they 'cool' or stylish', but there are also people who choose to cover their bodies in the art of artists they like because they like tattoos.

You should choose the most suitable artist for the style you are looking for as it varies so much. Not all tattoos are script, kanji, portraits. or tribal.

Look up the likes of Jeff Gogue, Jason Butcher, Lianne Moule, Matt Lapping, Wendy Pham, David Tevenal, and Carlos Torres.

They are a very small selection of artists, all with very different styles. They don't just tattoo; they sketch and paint, and sell prints of their work.

I would allow Jeff Gogue to tattoo almost anything of his choice, because his work is just amazing. Shame he has waiting list which would probably be impossible to get on.
Original post by WhyteBoar
Well you have to remember that people get tattoos for many different reasons. There are people who get memorial tattoos or get a tattoo because they consider that they 'cool' or stylish', but there are also people who choose to cover their bodies in the art of artists they like because they like tattoos.

You should choose the most suitable artist for the style you are looking for as it varies so much. Not all tattoos are script, kanji, portraits. or tribal.

Look up the likes of Jeff Gogue, Jason Butcher, Lianne Moule, Matt Lapping, Wendy Pham, David Tevenal, and Carlos Torres.

They are a very small selection of artists, all with very different styles. They don't just tattoo; they sketch and paint, and sell prints of their work.

I would allow Jeff Gogue to tattoo almost anything of his choice, because his work is just amazing. Shame he has waiting list which would probably be impossible to get on.

From what I have seen, 90% of the reasons are bull**** which actual translate into; emotional trauma, immaturity, inability to process a past problem.
Sure, some people get them because they can look great, but when you're some sweaty 300lb blob who has never bought clothes worth more than £15, get a tattoo "to make yourself look better" seems to be a contradiction to everything else they are doing.
Also large tattoos conflict with instinct and can not make yourself look better. Why? Because they are not natural and have a stigma attached to them:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1740144507000678
http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10.2466/pr0.2001.89.3.774?journalCode=pr0

Also you have the whole issue of not getting it removed and regretting it as you get older
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1640415
I don't care what another person thinks of my tattoos. As I get older I care less and less what other people think of me. You live once; it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life.

No doubt some people do regret their tattoos. People regret the house they buy and they person they marry too.
Reply 86
It's a form of art. The reason people put meanings to them is because there is an infinite amount of tattoo's you can get so if you have a meaning it makes it easier to decide.
Reply 87
Woa Jimbo smashing all tattoo-enthusiasts to the floor... Top stuff man.

You are doin it in style!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
:congrats:
You need a medal for saying the truth.

Oh, but I do and anyone with experience with dealing with people with multiple tattoos will judge, and rightly so.
Seeing that it falls into the category of self harm and body mutilation (it does - check the research), it says volumes about the person eg. inability to deal with emotional trauma, hates their body/choices they have made in their life etc.

This is why so many people never give a reason as to why they got a tattoo or as OP mentions, they use the excuse of "it's to help me remember some massive event". Well if it was so large, how could you forget it? :curious: Never does the person actually mention the artistic quality or design of their...body art :facepalm2:

Seriously?? You are happy to lump every person with more than one tattoo in this category. I cannot help but think you are either trying to stir the pot or you are kidding.
Self harm and body mutilation really sounds more like the opinion of an arrogant sort of person who has to justify what they can't explain. I would call into question the validity of any research that would definitively correlate these two behaviours.

It may well be the case that a small percentage of people see this as a way to get others to cause them pain however the purpose of most is beyond the pain and onto showing off their new "ink".

^^^^^^^^. I should state this is simply my opinion.
Reply 89
Don't feed it...
Reply 90
Just a little input here... But I LOVE tattoos each to their own I say!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Pls don't feed trigger

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by -aTOMic-
How can you not like tatoos in Chinese though!?

Picnic-table-tattoo.jpg
Reply 93
I'm not feed triggering that is my opinion! I have tattoos.... I like tattoos if people don't like them that's their opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Don't like them personally, you always hear 'oh it means this', it doesn't, it means **** all, you are just trying to look cool.
Original post by Angelx666
Seriously?? You are happy to lump every person with more than one tattoo in this category. I cannot help but think you are either trying to stir the pot or you are kidding.
Self harm and body mutilation really sounds more like the opinion of an arrogant sort of person who has to justify what they can't explain. I would call into question the validity of any research that would definitively correlate these two behaviours.

It may well be the case that a small percentage of people see this as a way to get others to cause them pain however the purpose of most is beyond the pain and onto showing off their new "ink".

^^^^^^^^. I should state this is simply my opinion.

Are tattoos permanent? Yes. Are they natural? No. So they are a huge unnatural marking on the skin. How is that not body mutilation? Is it always coincidence that many people get tattoos during or straight after traumatic times?
You probably need to think a bit more about this before blurting out such strong answers.
Reply 96
Original post by Ollied
Just like Jehovah's Witnesses don't want to influence anyone..

HA that's hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by RedArrow
Pls don't feed trigger

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: bless you.
Reply 98
Just got my first , and probably last, one 1 month ago, to commemorate my dad who passed away when i was 13, its small, and on the back of my neck (easy to hide for interviews/professional events) and is representative of his culture (palestinian) as its in arabic.
Reply 99
Has anyone ever got one on their wrist? If so, what is the pain like?!

Quick Reply

Latest