Birmingham
Visit website

BIAD- Art and Design Foundation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ineslovesjy
amazing art your got there!!
is that an a2 display book?

Nope, it has a mix of work from A2, AS and BTEC Level 2 (Y10-11).
Anything with plants or people with weird splodges on their faces (supposedly wounds) is AS, more posey/ uninjured people is A2, and things like birds are from my BTEC work.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Vikasi
Nope, it has a mix of work from A2, AS and BTEC Level 2 (Y10-11).
Anything with plants or people with weird splodges on their faces (supposedly wounds) is AS, more posey/ uninjured people is A2, and things like birds are from my BTEC work.

So cool, did u use pencil?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Oh oh! Hi GUYS! I'm Selina, nice to meet you. :smile:
I also applied for the Foundation course and got a conditional offer (accepted it, of course).
I live quite locally, maybe 20-30mins by car to the middle of town. (I live near the airport)
My interview was on 27th February, had a dude named Steve, he had funky hair.
(Also, I almost slipped when being shown around. Didn't see the "Mind the step" sign :frown: )
I also currently know someone who's attending, she insists it's 110% worth it.
My friend who's currently studying Art with me also got the same offer as I did.
Reply 43
So cool, did u use pencil?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you referring to any piece in particular? And yup, there's quite a few pencil tone (foot, hand under Human Form) / sketches (portraits/ life drawing towards the end)

Original post by ceyyeah
Oh oh! Hi GUYS! I'm Selina, nice to meet you. :smile:
I also applied for the Foundation course and got a conditional offer (accepted it, of course).
I live quite locally, maybe 20-30mins by car to the middle of town. (I live near the airport)
My interview was on 27th February, had a dude named Steve, he had funky hair.
(Also, I almost slipped when being shown around. Didn't see the "Mind the step" sign :frown: )
I also currently know someone who's attending, she insists it's 110% worth it.
My friend who's currently studying Art with me also got the same offer as I did.

Hello and welcome!
I didn't trip on that particular tour, but sure did slide down a few stairs during the October open day (at Margaret Street), so you're not alone! :biggrin:
I kept encouraging people from my A-level class (there's only four of us) to apply, but to no luck. Is it reassuring to have someone you already know get through with you? I may or may not be using this thread as an opportunity to find potential course buddies...
Reply 44
Original post by Vikasi
Half of my work was photos, and the 3D work was embarassingly bad (I didn't have a decent example of clay sculpture on hand apart from a pot I made at the end of Y11, that SOMEONE ELSE applied oxide to!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWCztULad0M < the portfolio I took to my interview

sorry my reply's extremely late :frown:
I've been so busy, with exams and coursework and things...

I've done very little 3d work too, I've done a clay tile in the style of Gaudi and that's all. I much prefer drawing :tongue:

WOW, your work is amazing! Your cat's adorable :3 What's he/she called? I have a black kitten called Axl :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 45
Has everyone finished their a level art exams? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I finished mine 26th April I think :tongue:
I don't think I did very well..
Reply 46
Original post by Pumpkinja
sorry my reply's extremely late :frown:
I've been so busy, with exams and coursework and things...

I've done very little 3d work too, I've done a clay tile in the style of Gaudi and that's all. I much prefer drawing :tongue:

WOW, you're work is amazing! Your cat's adorable :3 What's he/she called? I have a black kitten called Axl :biggrin:

Although I don't know much about Gaudi, I'm interested in seeing your tile! Gaudi was the one behind the weird houses, right?
I generally prefer painting and drawing, too. Textiles is also fun (embroidery!) but I'm too slow to make it a regular thing. Didn't have much fun with metalwork in my AS year, although I did enjoy clay. I did a Resistant Materials GCSE and I LOVE woodwork, although I've been out of practice! I know that the Foundation course offers opportunities for sculpting, woodwork and metalwork (not sure if just jewellery making), so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks, he's one of four :smile: His name is Holmes and he's a massive pain in the backside.
Reply 47
Original post by Vikasi
Although I don't know much about Gaudi, I'm interested in seeing your tile! Gaudi was the one behind the weird houses, right?
I generally prefer painting and drawing, too. Textiles is also fun (embroidery!) but I'm too slow to make it a regular thing. Didn't have much fun with metalwork in my AS year, although I did enjoy clay. I did a Resistant Materials GCSE and I LOVE woodwork, although I've been out of practice! I know that the Foundation course offers opportunities for sculpting, woodwork and metalwork (not sure if just jewellery making), so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks, he's one of four :smile: His name is Holmes and he's a massive pain in the backside.

I would upload a photo, but I don't have one saved on my laptop; I might dig it out and take a picture later for you :smile: it isn't anything spectacular, mind you :smile: and yes he is

I did Textiles at GCSE; it wasn't that bad :smile: It sounds like you've done a lot more than what I've done - the art department at my sixth form wasn't that big, we have a dark room, one small kiln and a small woodwork/metalwork room which we didn't really use. :frown:
same, I'm really excited to try everything out :biggrin:

aww, that's so cute ^_^ is he named after Sherlock Holmes? :P
Reply 48
I would upload a photo, but I don't have one saved on my laptop; I might dig it out and take a picture later for you :smile: it isn't anything spectacular, mind you :smile: and yes he is

I did Textiles at GCSE; it wasn't that bad :smile: It sounds like you've done a lot more than what I've done - the art department at my sixth form wasn't that big, we have a dark room, one small kiln and a small woodwork/metalwork room which we didn't really use. :frown:
same, I'm really excited to try everything out :biggrin:

aww, that's so cute ^_^ is he named after Sherlock Holmes? :P

At my Sixth Form, over the two years, I've done: basic photography (get a camera, shoot, print); some drawing techniques; acrylic/watercolour painting (I was the only one that insisted on doing some oil); basic textiles; some printmaking; some metalwork involving copper piping, wire and polished cans; a bit of clay; and a day's glass workshop at Dudley College, which was very cool!

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. We have a dark room but never got to use it as part of the A-level. There are some Resistant Materials workshop rooms with all of the woodwork/ metalwork tools that I got to use during my GCSE, but they weren't used as part of the A-level, which was a great shame, so I'm really looking forward to get my hands on some saws, pillar drills and sanders again!

Yes, of course :smile: Following the Robert Downey Jr crazy from a few years ago. His best bud is named Watson.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Vikasi
At my Sixth Form, over the two years, I've done: basic photography (get a camera, shoot, print); some drawing techniques; acrylic/watercolour painting (I was the only one that insisted on doing some oil); basic textiles; some printmaking; some metalwork involving copper piping, wire and polished cans; a bit of clay; and a day's glass workshop at Dudley College, which was very cool!

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. We have a dark room but never got to use it as part of the A-level. There are some Resistant Materials workshop rooms with all of the woodwork/ metalwork tools that I got to use during my GCSE, but they weren't used as part of the A-level, which was a great shame, so I'm really looking forward to get my hands on some saws, pillar drills and sanders again!

Yes, of course :smile: Following the Robert Downey Jr crazy from a few years ago. His best bud is named Watson.

wow, the glass workshop sounds awesome! :redface:
I didn't get to use the dark room either, I was a bit jealous of the photography students; some of their work was so interesting. I just want to get started now, September feels like a long way off :P

I haven't seen the RDJ Sherlock films, I'll have to watch them :3 do you watch the tv show Sherlock? Haha! What're the other two called?

I just named my cat Axl because it felt like that's what he should be called ^_^ (we adopted him from a sanctuary, and was called Yorick before we got him, so we obviously had to change that :tongue:)
Does anyone know when the hall starts allocating students, do they decide which room you get OR you decide yourself when you arrive??
Reply 51
Original post by Vikasi

Hello and welcome!
I didn't trip on that particular tour, but sure did slide down a few stairs during the October open day (at Margaret Street), so you're not alone! :biggrin:
I kept encouraging people from my A-level class (there's only four of us) to apply, but to no luck. Is it reassuring to have someone you already know get through with you? I may or may not be using this thread as an opportunity to find potential course buddies...

At the very start of the year, I did try to encourage my peers (also four of us!) to at least look up the course. Two ended up applying at BCU for BA Fashion Design (she ended up getting in with a conditional) and the other for BA Fine Art. The one who applied for Fine Art went to the interview, and was told that his work was good, but it was still not quite developed enough and thought that he'd enjoy and shine much more at the foundation. So you could say that he's kind of "by-passed" the system, haha.

It is quite reassuring that there's going to be someone I already know attending the same course, I believe that another school friend who went to a different college will also be attending the foundation course too. The only ever problem I have in life is making new friends, suddenly a school girl, the next day off to Uni and having to start the process of making new friends again. Scary. (Also something I'm not very good at, I'm generally quiet irl)

Does anyone know when the hall starts allocating students, do they decide which room you get OR you decide yourself when you arrive??

I'm local, so I'm staying at home :s-smilie:
There should be an accommodations thread somewhere, I'd think it would be better to ask there. OR you could try phoning them up, I guess.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
wow, the glass workshop sounds awesome! :redface:
I didn't get to use the dark room either, I was a bit jealous of the photography students; some of their work was so interesting. I just want to get started now, September feels like a long way off :P

I haven't seen the RDJ Sherlock films, I'll have to watch them :3 do you watch the tv show Sherlock? Haha! What're the other two called?

I just named my cat Axl because it felt like that's what he should be called ^_^ (we adopted him from a sanctuary, and was called Yorick before we got him, so we obviously had to change that :tongue:)

The glass workshop was AWESOME. Got to make glass paperweights, although mine came out dodgy and slightly inappropriate in appearance.
Sherlock, yes! The new series is coming out next year, right? The other two are Kisulya (Kis) and Alice.

Original post by ceyyeah
At the very start of the year, I did try to encourage my peers (also four of us!) to at least look up the course. Two ended up applying at BCU for BA Fashion Design (she ended up getting in with a conditional) and the other for BA Fine Art. The one who applied for Fine Art went to the interview, and was told that his work was good, but it was still not quite developed enough and thought that he'd enjoy and shine much more at the foundation. So you could say that he's kind of "by-passed" the system, haha.

It is quite reassuring that there's going to be someone I already know attending the same course, I believe that another school friend who went to a different college will also be attending the foundation course too. The only ever problem I have in life is making new friends, suddenly a school girl, the next day off to Uni and having to start the process of making new friends again. Scary. (Also something I'm not very good at, I'm generally quiet irl)

Sixth Form years went by really fast... and hopefully this thread will help us to get to know each other, and maybe make friends! This of course will be complicated by the fact that everyone gets split into different groups.
I fluctuate. It goes between crazy-friendly and quiet and reserved. September shall be a fun month...

I can't guarantee that it is this way, but I think that majority of universities assign rooms to people instead of the other way round. Of course if you find a serious problem with your accomodation, you can complain and get moved elsewhere...?
Original post by Vikasi
The glass workshop was AWESOME. Got to make glass paperweights, although mine came out dodgy and slightly inappropriate in appearance.
Sherlock, yes! The new series is coming out next year, right? The other two are Kisulya (Kis) and Alice.

Sixth Form years went by really fast... and hopefully this thread will help us to get to know each other, and maybe make friends! This of course will be complicated by the fact that everyone gets split into different groups.
I fluctuate. It goes between crazy-friendly and quiet and reserved. September shall be a fun month...

I can't guarantee that it is this way, but I think that majority of universities assign rooms to people instead of the other way round. Of course if you find a serious problem with your accomodation, you can complain and get moved elsewhere...?

yeah, i would have thought so, it should be they assign rooms to people instead of the other way around... that makes more sense.. anyway, ill double check.. thank you (:
Reply 54
Original post by Vikasi

Indeed it will be a fun month :biggrin: and at least we're getting a headstart into making new friends. I've also managed to convince the 4th art peer to quickly apply for the foundation! So hopefully there will be 3/4 of us going in Sept. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by ceyyeah
Indeed it will be a fun month :biggrin: and at least we're getting a headstart into making new friends. I've also managed to convince the 4th art peer to quickly apply for the foundation! So hopefully there will be 3/4 of us going in Sept. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck to them!
Today marks the end of my time as an A-level Art student. Had to carry home my work from the past two years, overall about 10kg of coursework and materials.
Ended up snapping the handle off my portfolio D: I ONLY BOUGHT THAT THING RECENTLY, FOR THE INTERVIEW!

On the bright side, I now have all of my canvases (which I had to detach from the frames and destroy the frames in order to be able to carry them home), so my portfolio can finally have more actual work than photos!
Reply 56
Original post by Vikasi

Haha!
And I'm not sure, I know they're filming right now... there isn't a set date, so I'm thinking maybe autumn/winter time :smile: I'm really excited :biggrin:
It been quiet these days.. What has everyone been up to? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Procrastination and cooking!
Any exams coming up everyone? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending