The Student Room Group

Qualifications to be an English teacher?

Hellooo :smile:

Okay so basically, I'm predicted an A/B grade in English, my other subjects aren't so good.
I really want to be an English teacher in secondary schools but I don't know what I would need to study in college.

English Language or English Literature? I assumed it would be Literature, and the course to study both at college has extremely high grade boundaries which I don't think I'll pass.

Does anyone know what I'll have to study to become an English teacher?
Reply 1
Your A-level choice will make little difference there. Pick the one you'll enjoy most!

Teachers are in such short supply that pretty much anyone with a degree can become a teacher of pretty much anything in the UK. The general teaching qualification is called a PGCE :smile:
Meet the A-level requirements of the university for an English degree. It doesn't matter if you take literature or language, maybe do both if you enjoy the subject :smile: having all of the core GCSE's (english, maths and science) at grade C+ helps too.
So you'd spend three years at university studying English then you'd apply for a 1-year PGCE course which enables you to go into teaching, as far as I am aware.
Good luck! :smile:
Why not take both??

Strong essay subjects like History, Religious Studies/Philosophy and Politics would be the best way to go.
Reply 4
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Meet the A-level requirements of the university for an English degree. It doesn't matter if you take literature or language, maybe do both if you enjoy the subject :smile: having all of the core GCSE's (english, maths and science) at grade C+ helps too.
So you'd spend three years at university studying English then you'd apply for a 1-year PGCE course which enables you to go into teaching, as far as I am aware.
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply! It was very informative :smile: you've helped a lot.
Reply 5
Original post by uthred50
Your A-level choice will make little difference there. Pick the one you'll enjoy most!

Teachers are in such short supply that pretty much anyone with a degree can become a teacher of pretty much anything in the UK. The general teaching qualification is called a PGCE :smile:

Thank you for your reply! :smile: you've helped a lot :')
Reply 6
English literature is usually the requirement for an English degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest