Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Landlord won't clean up our house!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have lived in this house in Aberystwyth since September. My dad has complained to the landlord about the state of it and they don't do anything. I was really excited about university and enjoyed my first year in halls but now it's like living in a pigstye.

Some of the landlords in Aber really exploit the students because they know they can get away with it. They charge us full rent and don't reckon to maintain the houses because they know they can fill them up with other students.

I've got pictures of my kitchen cupboard, the shower with my dad standing in it and the bathroom.

YUK!
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bathroom (1).JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	209354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen Cupboards.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	209355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shower.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	209356  
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suspect that problems like this are best sorted out before signing the lease, fx, by getting the landlord to sign an agreement to do certain repairs and maintenance before you move in.
    Is the landlord registered with the university? If so, complain to the people who deal with student accommodation issues.
    Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does your uni have any kind of student support centre? I'm guessing you should have one, and you can go there for advice.

My personal experience has been that landlords are less likely to carry out work that's needed, so I've always preferred to go with an agency but that's just me...

Why didn't you talk about these things when you viewed the house? I can understand you probably didn't notice the kitchen cupboard and this should be fixed, but it's a bit random to move into a house and then ask the landlord to get a new shower because it's too small.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rustyrenault)
    We have lived in this house in Aberystwyth since September. My dad has complained to the landlord about the state of it and they don't do anything. I was really excited about university and enjoyed my first year in halls but now it's like living in a pigstye.

Some of the landlords in Aber really exploit the students because they know they can get away with it. They charge us full rent and don't reckon to maintain the houses because they know they can fill them up with other students.

I've got pictures of my kitchen cupboard, the shower with my dad standing in it and the bathroom.

YUK!
    Is that it? Doesn't look too bad tbh.

Our house had:

Mice/Rats - they would come into my room, we managed to catch 4 or 5 of them.
    Cockroaches - lots and lots of cockroaches, they would come in from next door and get poisoned, which means our kitchen was full of slowly dying cockroaches. The mice liked to come in and flip them onto their backs.
    Mould - lots of mould. And Damp.
    We once had raw sewage start pumping into the back yard.
    The toilet fell through the floor into the void (filled with water/swamp) below the bathroom.
    The door got kicked in (everything stolen) and the landlord "fixed" it with a few screws - you could probably have got through it with a tooth pick.

That's all I could remember off the top of my head. My OH now has asthma because of her mould (literally a whole wall of black mould) that was impervious to bleach.

So yeah that really doesn't look too bad (I can't actually see anything wrong with that bathroom at all! And the boiler looks a bit stupid but its just an aesthetic problem). You are probably paying bugger all each month so you do have to live with a few compromises. You should still bug the landlord about it though but just consider yourself lucky.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you agreed to move in ? =/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was it like this when you moved in?

It depends on the specifics of your contract, but if it's something the landlord should actually be doing, then I'd give the landlord 7 days notice to fix it else you'll hold all rent payments. Worked in a house in another area I lived.

Aber Students' Union has an Advice and Representation Centre which offers accommodation advice. They're best placed to help you with this - their contact details are at http://www.abersu.co.uk/support/arc/.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there is nothing wrong in picture 1. in fact im impressed the pipe work was boxed in the first place. looks like a few panels fell off, where are they? no more nails will do the job. nothing unsafe though. (looks like a beautiful combi-boiler, hotwater 24hr on tap.)

picture 2 - Mold can be a health issue, the landlord should tackle this. And not just the clear up of the mold, but the reason why it's there in the first place should be rectified or it can return. Probably poor airflow.

pic 3 - u need a shorter dad.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is your dad Dennis Quaid???
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    That last picture :rofl: your dad looks so happy in that shower haha.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rustyrenault)

YUK!
    If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in town is this? I'm lucky I'm not in private residences, as I've heard a LOT of horror stories this year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies.

The house is in South Road and the agent is ALP!

When we moved in the house was dirty and had not even been cleaned. My friends bedroom stank of smoke, there was dirt under the bed and there were toenail clippings on the carpet. When she complained to ALP she was told that student houses were always dirty and she should just get on with it!

My dad has nagged them from last December about the mold and damp but they won't do anything. In fact they are ignoring his emails! When the shower in the upstairs bathroom broke they refused to mend it until my friends dad gave them an earful. They said there was no goodwill towards our house because we had complained about it. If our dads didn't complain they wouldn't take any notice of us at all.

When they were showing people around they would let themselves in with their key without telling us they were coming. They would just barge into our rooms without any warning at all!

Theres some more pics. The loo which is just a bit average, another cupboard, the gas fire which we dont dare turn on and a random wire in another cupboard. I know it's not as bad as some but I dont think its good enough especially as it will just get worse each year.

They've already let it out for next year
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth Wire (1).JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	209571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gas Fire.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	209572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kitchen Cupboards (3).JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	209573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loo.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	209574  

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.