The Student Room Group

Dissertation on depression / aniexty / suicidal thoughts, please help!

Hi guys!

I’m looking to speak to some students for a feature I am writing as part of my dissertation, on depression / aniexty / suicidal thoughts which are heavily related to university workloads. Whether you have gone through this yourself, or know someone who has, or have even unfortunately lost someone from this. I would really love to hear from you.

I understand this is a very sensitive subject, but I am a good listener and also friendly! I would just like to speak to someone about their experiences, to help raise some awareness of this problem which isn't disscussed enough, and hopefully help others.

If you would like to email me on:[email protected]

I would really appreciate it :smile:

Thank you x
Reply 1
Hello! I'm not actually in University, but I'm coming to the end of my final year in sixth form and have quite a few examples of how work loads can negatively effect people. Here's what I've experienced - hopefully it will help in someway?

Many people in my year,including myself, have felt the enormous pressure to do well in their A2's this year. It's coming up to exams and everyones getting stressed! This year alone, 5 of my friends have been medically diagnosed with depression, one having to leave sixth form due to experiencing severe anxiety attacks in school and having reoccurring suicidal thoughts. I remember on several occasions her having to rush out of class to the toilets to be sick, as coming into school would literally make her sick with nerves.
My best friend, has also recently started loosing her hair again and although diagnosed with alopecia when we were small (basically just loss of hair from the head or body), her condition was maintained and aesthetically resolved 7 years ago and she hasn't experienced a spell of it since, until now :frown: The doctors say that the condition is highly stress related, which could be a coincidence, but i don't think so and neither does she. Sixth form has definitely got something to do with it.

Here is a list of why I think students develop depression/ anxiety etc:

1 - TEACHERS!!!- some people are lucky and have really supportive, helpful and encouraging teachers (like they SHOULD be), but that is NOT the case in our school! I've had teachers call me pathetic, stupid, a disgrace - One teacher even printed out all the "stupid" things our class had written in our essays and then handed it back out so that we would all be embarrassed by our work and try harder next time. This lead me not wanting to actually give her my essays, as i was afraid she was going to judge me if my work wasn't 'up to her standard'. I would then spend HOURS trying to make every piece of work perfect and would often stay up working right through the night - which ended up making me ill.

2 - TOO MUCH WORK!! - I get on average 3 - 4 essays to complete a week. On top of that, teachers give out worksheets, revision booklets, practice papers, research projects all in which you have to complete/read/do etc IN THAT WEEK. There's just not enough time! And next week, IT ALL STARTS AGAIN!! And it sounds petty,but there HAS to be a balance between work and family and friends! Its like that scene in the shining "all work no play makes Jack a dull boy"?? Its emotionally and physically draining, and can literally tip you over the edge. I have had my spells of crazyness this year, and have actually developed insomnia because all I do is lie awake at night stressing out about how much work i have to do.

3 - DEADLINES - some deadlines are just unrealistic and i think everyone can safely say that they've handed in work late on the odd occasion! I find deadlines really hard to stick to :L Time and preparation is definitely not my forte. However, I also think that, like most people, the actual thought of the deadline approaching makes us even more stressed and anxious about the essay, making us not want to do it, and probably less likely to enjoy writing it! Thus making us miserable about our whole schooling experience and potentially make us depressed.

4 - FRIENDS - there's a lot of social pressure at this age. We can be easily influenced by our friends, and most of it is done subconsciously. We mirror our peers, without realizing it, and it seems that when a dominant person in a group is stressed or anxious about a paper, others in the group may also begin to feel the pressure even if they weren't worried before. Supporting each other is also key, when trying to handle work loads. At the end on my GCSE year my Dad was diagnosed with cancer, and my friends weren't really that supportive. So, when it came back again this year, i felt like i couldn't tell anyone about it (and still haven't told them about it today) as i just don't feel like they wanna hear it. I felt completely alone with it, and with that on top of the added pressure and deadlines from school, I started to feel really depressed and ended up skipping a lot of school.

Thankfully every thing is fine now and I'm just going to try power through these last few months! Think I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel :smile: (the tunnel being school and the light being me leaving it forever!!!)
I hope this helps you with your dissertation and i also hope that you're not getting too stressed or worked up about it either :tongue: GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
Reply 2
I can't help you with depression relating to deadlines but I've had depression for almost 6 years now and I'm a uni student. I could help with general depression and suicidal tendencies if you want? x
Reply 3
Hello,

I have severe OCD which has prevented me from sitting examinations on multiple occasions and mild-moderate depression- does it have to be general anxiety or would you still like to know about it?

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
You can pm me if you want, I'll try to help.

Finished my undergrad now but was severely depressed during it, suicidal and suffered anxiety too.
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth
You can pm me if you want, I'll try to help.

Finished my undergrad now but was severely depressed during it, suicidal and suffered anxiety too.

I don't know why you guys get depressed while studying ,,there is no need to be undergone like that.You just need to enjoy your study life,Because once it is passed ,it wont come back again.They are the sweet memories which will last along your whole life.
Reply 6
Original post by Stylishhair
I don't know why you guys get depressed while studying ,,there is no need to be undergone like that.You just need to enjoy your study life,Because once it is passed ,it wont come back again.They are the sweet memories which will last along your whole life.

Clearly you don't understand how depression and other anxiety disorders operate.

Well that was unhelpful and uncalled for. You clearly don't understand how depression works. :frown:
Original post by Stephanie1991
Hi guys!

I’m looking to speak to some students for a feature I am writing as part of my dissertation, on depression / aniexty / suicidal thoughts which are heavily related to university workloads. Whether you have gone through this yourself, or know someone who has, or have even unfortunately lost someone from this. I would really love to hear from you.

I understand this is a very sensitive subject, but I am a good listener and also friendly! I would just like to speak to someone about their experiences, to help raise some awareness of this problem which isn't disscussed enough, and hopefully help others.

If you would like to email me on:[email protected]

I would really appreciate it :smile:

Thank you x

Feel free to get in touch :yes:

Don't give me that bull****. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by Sabertooth
Don't give me that bull****. :rolleyes:

Hey, I don't mind answering any questions you want to ask, always willing to help! Final year, on medication for severe depression and anxiety, all came about at uni!!

I know this is lightly off topic for this post but I was wondering if anyone who has been through depression and still completed their degree can offer advice on how they motivated themselves and made it through... I'm in my last month, final hurdle and things are getting really intense! I don't want another break down and to restart my final year -again- so any comments would really be appreciated if anyone could spare the time!
Original post by Emmy1102
Hey, I don't mind answering any questions you want to ask, always willing to help! Final year, on medication for severe depression and anxiety, all came about at uni!!

I know this is lightly off topic for this post but I was wondering if anyone who has been through depression and still completed their degree can offer advice on how they motivated themselves and made it through... I'm in my last month, final hurdle and things are getting really intense! I don't want another break down and to restart my final year -again- so any comments would really be appreciated if anyone could spare the time!

Tbh, I was so out of it that it never really occurred to me that attempting to do my degree whilst in a major psychotic/depressive episode was probs not the wisest idea ever :teehee: Seriously though: I relied heavily on the welfare staff in my college to get me through. Literally wouldn't be alive OR have an undergrad degree were it not for the chaplain at my college :love:

So yeah, reaching out and getting all the help and support you need is important. I found have special arrangements for my exams, like extra time and doing them in college rather than the scary exams building, really helped me feel more at ease with the whole process. Had I had to sit exams with everyone else, I'd have run out screaming whilst having a panic attack. Probably literally :frown:
Reply 12
Thank you for all your responses guys! You have all been great, I really appreciate your help.

Please keep them coming in or pass this on to anyone who has experienced aniexty / depression / suicidal thoughts through university workloads, pressure, fear of failing.

Many thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest