The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nandosfood
My mind literally forgot what an ablative absolute was until the very end, Yahh :/
I also translated iaceo as lie instead of throw...

Ummm, iaceo is to lie? See the attachment...
iacio is to throw.
It was alright but I made a silly mistake - I said that he hid instead of fell :facepalm:
Thought it was a nice exam. Possibly not as nice as A401 but nevermind :smile:
Original post by InV15iblefrog
Ummm, iaceo is to lie? See the attachment...
iacio is to throw.

Omg thank you! Wait so did the last bit mean that say day he lay in the river? Because everyone said they'd written throw :confused:
Omg thank you! Wait so did the last bit mean that say day he lay in the river? Because everyone said they'd written throw :confused:

I think it was "iactus est" (was thrown) I'm afraid :frown: but don't hold me to that!
Reply 65
Wasn't as easy as language 1 but wasn't too difficult I didn't realise omnia meant everything :/ also what did everyone put for the gravissmo accepto bit?
Reply 66
It was pretty easy. Past papers have been more difficult.

I really don't think it was 'he lay' in the river since it was iactum est - accusative, not to mentioned perfect passive. I'd go with thrown.

Translating into 'good English' was fine for me until that huge sentence, first sentence of the second paragraph. xD
Original post by NikolaT
It was pretty easy. Past papers have been more difficult.

I really don't think it was 'he lay' in the river since it was iactum est - accusative, not to mentioned perfect passive. I'd go with thrown.

Translating into 'good English' was fine for me until that huge sentence, first sentence of the second paragraph. xD

Ah yeah iactum est, that's what I meant :biggrin:

Same! I think I got the jist right, but in terms of it actually having any sequence whatsoever... I don't think so! Ending was quite easy I think though, which hasn't been the case with all papers.
Original post by ibbi1824
Wasn't as easy as language 1 but wasn't too difficult I didn't realise omnia meant everything :/ also what did everyone put for the gravissmo accepto bit?

For 'vulnere gravissimo accepto', I reckon it's an ablative absolute so it should literally be 'with the very serious wound having been accepted', and in decent English 'having accepted his very serious wound'.

I think I put the whole sentence as 'in this way Gracchus, having accepted his very serious wound, suffered a cruel death'.
Reply 69
In this manner, When gracchus had accepted this very serious wound, he suffered a cruel death
Original post by Nerd44
In this manner, When gracchus had accepted this very serious wound, he suffered a cruel death

That translation is acceptable but arguable received is more relevant that accepted here as a translation for 'accepto'. Iactus est is definitely he was thrown. Context is really important: why would they lay him (a nice thing to do) in a river after viciously trying to murder him?
Reply 71
Original post by shysybil.24
For 'vulnere gravissimo accepto', I reckon it's an ablative absolute so it should literally be 'with the very serious wound having been accepted', and in decent English 'having accepted his very serious wound'.

I think I put the whole sentence as 'in this way Gracchus, having accepted his very serious wound, suffered a cruel death'.

ok thanks i put the same thing but crossed out accepted and put recieved instead :/
Reply 72
hey guys for the father one i said that his father was very famous do you think that will be ok?
ok thanks i put the same thing but crossed out accepted and put recieved instead :/

Received is right too :smile:

Infact, like an earlier post said, I would probably consider 'received' a better answer in terms of the context and its storyline. :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by TelephoneBox
Received is right too :smile:

Infact, like an earlier post said, I would probably consider 'received' a better answer in terms of the context and its storyline. :smile:

yay okay thanks!

Original post by TelephoneBox
I think it was "iactus est" (was thrown) I'm afraid :frown: but don't hold me to that!

Right, TelephoneBox is totally right, it was iactus est, and was thrown (passive here, note) into the river.
hey guys for the father one i said that his father was very famous do you think that will be ok?

Sounds similar to what i put: something like "he was the son of a (very) famous father." And in context, yours means the same as mine, so....I think so (at least, i hope so!)
Reply 77
For the vulnere gravissimo accepto
I labelled it as an ablative absolute but completely forgot about the with etc.. And ended up writing 'having accepted the very serious wound'

Do you think they could still accept that as if I chose to write it in better English?
Original post by NDM.
For the vulnere gravissimo accepto
I labelled it as an ablative absolute but completely forgot about the with etc.. And ended up writing 'having accepted the very serious wound'

Do you think they could still accept that as if I chose to write it in better English?

Yes, definitely. btw... did people note the accusative in the last sentence and write: ON the same day he was thrown into a river.
Reply 79
Original post by Kkg1
Yes, definitely. btw... did people note the accusative in the last sentence and write: ON the same day he was thrown into a river.

Really? That's perfect!
Oh god, no I didn't!
Would that just be a minor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending