The Student Room Group

University bringing me down

Hi guys,

So i've been at uni for 2 years now and it's really begining to bring me down. I come home and I just feel like crying. I hate it. But i'm over half way through, I don't know whether to carry on through my third year feeling miserable and low, or whether to just give up and quit, which i'm pretty sure will also make me feel miserable and low.

I've got to the point where i'm losing sleep, have headaches all the time, and I put on like a stone in weight, which i've now lost (thank god), I just feel like my self-esteem has plummeted, and if I carry on i'll get depression. Last year I went through some issues and started cutting, but my parents managed to nip it in the bud before it spiraled out of control, but this time I just feel like i've hit rock bottom so fast that there is no way I can pull myself up. I genuinely don't know whether to carry on with my course, change to a new one, change unis, take a year off, or whether to just quit all together and get a full time job. I have no idea what I want, and no idea what will make me happy but I know that things need to change now before they get any worse.

What do you guys think? Thank you for reading :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys,

So i've been at uni for 2 years now and it's really begining to bring me down. I come home and I just feel like crying. I hate it. But i'm over half way through, I don't know whether to carry on through my third year feeling miserable and low, or whether to just give up and quit, which i'm pretty sure will also make me feel miserable and low.

I've got to the point where i'm losing sleep, have headaches all the time, and I put on like a stone in weight, which i've now lost (thank god), I just feel like my self-esteem has plummeted, and if I carry on i'll get depression. Last year I went through some issues and started cutting, but my parents managed to nip it in the bud before it spiraled out of control, but this time I just feel like i've hit rock bottom so fast that there is no way I can pull myself up. I genuinely don't know whether to carry on with my course, change to a new one, change unis, take a year off, or whether to just quit all together and get a full time job. I have no idea what I want, and no idea what will make me happy but I know that things need to change now before they get any worse.

What do you guys think? Thank you for reading :smile:

I've felt similar to you and still do with some aspects. PM me if you like.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi, I'm sorry to hear you have been having such a difficult time with things, though being in my second year at uni, I can too say I can relate to this in some ways.

I dont think anyone here will be able to tell you whether or not you should stay on at uni or not, it very much depends whats been going on for you and what it is that has been making you so unhappy at uni and if there is anyway this could change? Is it possible you could seek help at uni, perhaps try going to your university's counselling service or even your personal tutor? I think talking to someone who may be able to help you in your immediate situation at uni may help.

I think you need to ask yourself why you wanted to do your course in the first place? whether its being at uni you don't enjoy, the course, the workload, social aspects, not knowing what to do with life, all those things or something else entirely. I think if you can try to understand whats going on for you then you can start to work towards changing aspects of it.

I know things can feel difficult at uni, so we can also talk more if you want too,
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest