The Student Room Group

Why is transferring to another University after your second year a bad thing?

I've heard people say that it's only worth transferring after your first year, but nobody explains why? How is it a bad thing?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm so sick of this British weather, I can't bear another year or more with it. I'm sick of grey clouds and winter weather when it's not even winter; so I've decided that I want to transfer to a University in Madrid, Spain this year. Where it's warmer, sunnier, I speak the language, fees are a third of the price. What's the problem? What's wrong with transferring after your second year?
It's not a "bad" thing. It is a big decision and if you are sure then do what is best for you :smile:. That said, you need to consider the academic aspects rather than Spain being sunny and you speaking the language as starting a uni course from the second year straight might be a bit challenging as the course content/teaching could differ greatly from what you may have previously studied. Often you will find that second year modules require prerequisites which are normally modules done in the first year. Ask the universities in question for a detailed answer and take it from there :smile:
Sometimes people change course/uni after two years, but start again at their new uni in the second year - ie, they do another two years at the new uni and finish after four years total. Doing the second year twice can help you adjust to the new course/uni. Could be something to think about. But yeah, nothing wrong with transferring, if that's what you want!
Reply 3
Nothing. If you speak the language it shouldn't be any problem. Just make sure that all your grades/credits will be acknowledged at your Spanish university so you don't have to resit any. You'll be the new one of course, but Spanish people are usually very friendly and welcoming so you won't have many problems :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest