The Student Room Group

Hating being so lonely at uni!??

Im coming to the end of my second year and its safe to say I am completely alone here in liverpool!! I have recently gone through a messy breakup and the only real friend I had here who I am on the same course as and live with has fallen out with my we haven't spoken in months. I realise now i actually don't want to be her friend. I was stupid and didn't join any societies when I came here so I don't get the chance to meet new people and I don't click with anyone on my course!! I've considered dropping out sooo much these past months but I know i only have one year left however each day drags and drags and I find myself not wanting to go into class and crying every day?!! I've fallen very far behind in my studies and the only time im happy is when I am at home. Honestly id just love someone to ask me out for coffee and a chat sometimes just to have someone to talk to? I have such good friends back home I just really havent had the student experience here at all. I talk to two of the girls I but only for a few minutes each day because theyre never here and they go home at the weekends whereas im from ireland which is quite far! The house has such a bitter atmosphere and everyone sits couped up in theyre own rooms when theyre here. Im just finding it really really hard and id love to meet new people im just afraid its too late for me now.
Ah, just join a society and throw yourself into it fully. Go to everything and meet new people who are interested in the same stuff as you. It's so easy when you're feeling lonely to retreat even further but you really have to just get yourself out there to meet some new people. The hard but true facts.
Reply 2
Original post by hothedgehog
Ah, just join a society and throw yourself into it fully. Go to everything and meet new people who are interested in the same stuff as you. It's so easy when you're feeling lonely to retreat even further but you really have to just get yourself out there to meet some new people. The hard but true facts.

yeah i know you right i plan to do that in september when i come back but these next 6 weeks will just be hell i guess! thanks though :smile:
Get into a good shared house next year
Reply 4
Original post by freeurmind
Get into a good shared house next year

ive already signed into a house with one girl i live with and the other one who i dont speak to. think im kinda ****ed lol
Reply 5
It's never too late to meet new people, they're all around you! Definitely think about joining a society, speak to people whenever you get the opportunity, social networking and the student room could even be an option! Find people who are from Liverpool and just get out there! Don't let it affect your studies though :cute:
Reply 6
It's not too late to join more societies.

Plus if you meet one person, hang out with their friends too :smile:
Original post by cmpm
ive already signed into a house with one girl i live with and the other one who i dont speak to. think im kinda ****ed lol

Join a society ? go back to halls ? Join plentyoffish ? join a sports team ?
Reply 8
Original post by cmpm
Im coming to the end of my second year and its safe to say I am completely alone here in liverpool!! I have recently gone through a messy breakup and the only real friend I had here who I am on the same course as and live with has fallen out with my we haven't spoken in months. I realise now i actually don't want to be her friend. I was stupid and didn't join any societies when I came here so I don't get the chance to meet new people and I don't click with anyone on my course!! I've considered dropping out sooo much these past months but I know i only have one year left however each day drags and drags and I find myself not wanting to go into class and crying every day?!! I've fallen very far behind in my studies and the only time im happy is when I am at home. Honestly id just love someone to ask me out for coffee and a chat sometimes just to have someone to talk to? I have such good friends back home I just really havent had the student experience here at all. I talk to two of the girls I but only for a few minutes each day because theyre never here and they go home at the weekends whereas im from ireland which is quite far! The house has such a bitter atmosphere and everyone sits couped up in theyre own rooms when theyre here. Im just finding it really really hard and id love to meet new people im just afraid its too late for me now.

I had a friend with the same kinda problems before too. She solved it by doing some voluntary work locally at a youth centre. Now you don't have to choose a yotuh centre, but anywhere you go, you're bound to meet a few new people andd it gives you something to stay occupied.
It's hard to keep yourself locked in if you get given responsibilities for your spare time, so maybe it'll help? :smile:

Aside from that, joining a society will be good. regardless of which year you're in, there will always be other newcomers too right? I'm sure you'll find a few people on the thread for your uni on here too. Find it and just post to get a few people together for a random TSR night :biggrin:

*Edit*
By 'random TSR night', I do mean go out some place and not just be on TSR...
Its like that drake song "I hate sleeping alone"
Reply 10
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time! It's so hard when you're feeling down but go to somewhere people are. Join a new society, or a fitness class, or a study group. I am sure you will make some new friends :smile: I hope things pick up for you soon. In the mean time just keep going, you can do it!!
Reply 11
Get your head down, and chase that first. Friends are for the weak.
Reply 12
Original post by Cakefan
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time! It's so hard when you're feeling down but go to somewhere people are. Join a new society, or a fitness class, or a study group. I am sure you will make some new friends :smile: I hope things pick up for you soon. In the mean time just keep going, you can do it!!

thank you!!! :colondollar:
Reply 13
yeah the one who i have fallen out with she would not like that so thats definitely not an option thanks though
Original post by cmpm

I know exactly how you feel. I was going through a similar thing in my first year after a messy break up and couldn't connect with the people on my course. It took a while, but I soon I found a fairly good group of friends who were quite helpful. Its never too late to meet nice people and make good friends. You have to give yourself the chance though, just like others have said. You can join societies and activities any time of the year, so that would be a good start.

At the moment, I'm doing my postgrad and I have to say I'm exactly in the same position as you - don't have much in common with those around me and wish I had someone to just spend lazy evenings and weekends with chatting about something random or doing something fun!

Don't worry, it will happen. Just stick it out for the rest of the term, pass your exams and start afresh next academic year! Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending