The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

A question for CURRENT Surrey students

I'm trying to find out what Surrey Uni term/semester dates are like. The uni website says something like 7th October-7th February then 10th Feb-June ...but that doesnt show Christmas hol. dates?? Or spring/easter...? Im just wondering if any current stdent at Surrey could explain this to me...

Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by bsfb93
I'm trying to find out what Surrey Uni term/semester dates are like. The uni website says something like 7th October-7th February then 10th Feb-June ...but that doesnt show Christmas hol. dates?? Or spring/easter...? Im just wondering if any current stdent at Surrey could explain this to me...

Thanks in advance:smile:

The dates you found there simply show when the semester runs from, to the date of the end of the exam period.

As for holidays, you'll get 3 weeks at Christmas (from around the 15th December, depending on when that weekend falls), and 4 weeks at Easter, with the date depending on when Easter is.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
I assume this is the site you were looking at?
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/about/dates/

Is this not what you mean;
"Christmas vacation
23 December 2013 to 10 January 2014

Spring vacation
7 April 2014 to 2 May 2014

Summer vacation

23 June 2014 to 26 September 2014"

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks! I couldnt seem to find those dates online, thank you :smile:
Reply 4
This goes out to current students at the university

I have firmed a place for Surrey and as the accommodation applications will begin in May, I would like to know which campuses to consider if you are looking for a quiter area to study but at the same time want to have fun. So basically which campus is the most balanced one for nights out and quite studying. I am currently looking at all Band D campuses

Thanks in advance
Reply 5
Original post by Willbounce

I have firmed a place for Surrey and as the accommodation applications will begin in May, I would like to know which campuses to consider if you are looking for a quiter area to study but at the same time want to have fun. So basically which campus is the most balanced one for nights out and quite studying. I am currently looking at all Band D campuses

Thanks in advance

In terms of nights out it's always (only slightly) better to be on campus, as you're closer to the union, and simply put there's more people there. Off campus (e.g. manor park/bellerby court) are a fair bit quieter in general than any on campus rooms, just by the nature of being a bit further away from the central hub of the university.

However, always bear in mind that being in a certain place doesn't guarantee you the average. I'm currently in a room on campus, and yet my flat (and to a lesser extent the whole building I'm in) is very quiet (mainly due to the international students there, though). However there are flats off campus which are very active and quite busy, it's all luck of the draw really, but you can base your choice on averages fairly safely.

There's also Hazel farm, which is pretty much always very quiet, but is also pretty much only used by international students.

To be honest you don't sound like you'll struggle in any of the areas, so I would advise you don't base your choice on the noise, but rather the distance to campus, and the band of room you want, they're generally more important aspects of the choice.
Reply 6
Original post by Willbounce

Thanks in advance

I lived in Battersea Court in my first year- that's Band C and directly opposite the library. It was close to the union for nights out, but fairly easy to work in my flat during the day (if it was too noisy I just went to the library and worked there!)

Only thing is with Band C, you don't get an ensuite, so if that's important then it might be worth going for Band D. But I would recommend being on campus- I miss that now!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending