The Student Room Group

Will my Honours be taken?

Good evening forum members.

I am a final year student studying for an Honours degree. During my second year I came across some problems (family) and had to defer. Unfortunately my deferal was not accepted and I had to resit all the exams as I had missed them all presuming my deferal would be accepted without question. My entire second year therefore being capped at 40%.

Capped at 40% for my second year is not a problem however as at my university the final year marks weigh 100% in the entire degree. So far my final year has been excellent with all assignments being at least 80%. For the exams I confident I can get enought to scrape a 1st class.

The problem however is that I hear although I can get a first class, the honours will be revoked from the degree as I had to resit exams during my second year (though they do not count towards the final degree marks).

Could someone please confirm whether universities revoke honours for resitting exams for modules that do not count towards the final mark?
Reply 1
Did they tell you why your deferral wasn't accepted? As for whether you can still get honours, it depends on the university - the only thing you can do is get in touch with your tutor/head of faculty and ask them. Sorry I can't be more help!
Reply 2
Deferal not accepted as I don't have evidence to prove family problems.
Reply 3
Original post by robert1991
Deferal not accepted as I don't have evidence to prove family problems.

Not much you can do to contest that decision then - universities are keen on having evidence for extenuating circumstances, since faking them could give people such a massive advantage. Like I said, the only thing you can do is get in touch with someone at your university. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
The rules will be in the specific unis academic regulations.
Reply 5
Thought so, hoping now they take into consideration that prier to deferal I had a good attendance and achieved well. Didn't need to defer to gain more revision time.

Anyways thanks Reacata for replying.
Reply 6
Do have a discussion with your tutor asap, there might be something they can do if you can provide evidence of extenuating circumstances. If you wait till after the degree is awarded you're likely stuck with it.
Talk to your tutor, but my understanding is that there's no such thing as a first without honours, it's either an ordinary degree, which is below a third, or a first with honours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you don't manage to sort this out through normal channels I would take it as high within the university as you can.

I understand their rules, and you may well still lose, but you need to get this seen by somebody 'human' as it were, who has the power to bend the rules. If you have been averaging a first in your final year, the only year that would have counted, you clearly don't deserve to have an unclassified degree.

However, the first thing to do is speak to your tutor.
Original post by robert1991

The problem however is that I hear although I can get a first class, the honours will be revoked from the degree as I had to resit exams during my second year (though they do not count towards the final degree marks).

Could someone please confirm whether universities revoke honours for resitting exams for modules that do not count towards the final mark?

Assuming you are in England or Wales, as mentioned above, there is no such thing as a first without honours. If your degree is 'without honours', then no matter what grades you got in the modules you completed, you get a pass degree.

The degree classes available are First (with Honours), 2.1 (with Honours), 2.2 (with Honours), 3rd (with Honours), Pass and Fail.

You need to read up in your course handbook or speak to your exams team, but either your capping at 40% in the second year means you can't achieve an Honours degree, or your final degree classification is determined entirely by your final year grades, in which case you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending