The Student Room Group

The Hobbit and Animal Cruelty

I've just read this article

http://action.peta.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=5&ea.campaign.id=17536

It basically tells of the animals killed in the making of The Hobbit, a lot of horses too. I don't know what to think right now, I really enjoyed the film and now I see this! I'm not a soppy person or a hardcore animal activist, I don't think you need to be to think this is just sickening. Whatever you think about Peta, someone should pay :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Wow. I hope the production company is sued to high heavens.
Reply 2
Provided the allegations are true then it's appalling. I hope that there'll be an investigation into it, and criminal charges levied for any abuse found to have occurred.
Reply 3
More baseless accusations from peta.
Reply 4
Original post by Joeman560
More baseless accusations from peta.

Though I'm in opposition to some of PETA's tactics, their credibility is generally not so bad, especially when it comes to exposing specific parties' animal rights abuses.
Reply 5
Wow, if this is true then I'm glad I never actually got round to seeing the Hobbit...

I'm sat in a forest whilst typing this, believe it or not :awesome:
I believe that story about as much as I believe the Daily Mail to be factual, unbiased and rational.
Reply 7
Quite right.
Reply 8
Is this the title of the second Hobbit film? :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by aranexus
Is this the title of the second Hobbit film? :rolleyes:

Yup, turns out 'The Desolation of Smaug' involves harming a dragon so production is getting shut down.
There are no orgres in the Hobbit!
It's just a few horses, hardly worth making a big deal over. Come at me tree-huggers.
I wouldn't mind hearing about it from a less biased source, but it doesn't sound very nice.
Reply 13
People still take PETA seriously? The organisation that kills the vast majority of the animals it 'rescues.'

Until there's a source provided for the claims I'm not believing **** they say.
Not going to take PETA's word for it, they're practically militant and when doing that expose on the live skinning of cats/dogs and other animals in China, a later interview with a worker discovered he was very confused, because he always killed them before he skinned them, but the white (PETA) man paid him money not to kill it first.

So yeah, give me some evidence here, they saw it right? Show the footage I assume they took?
Original post by Creat0r
I've just read this article

http://action.peta.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=5&ea.campaign.id=17536

It basically tells of the animals killed in the making of The Hobbit, a lot of horses too. I don't know what to think right now, I really enjoyed the film and now I see this! I'm not a soppy person or a hardcore animal activist, I don't think you need to be to think this is just sickening. Whatever you think about Peta, someone should pay :mad:

Thankfully Smeagal remained unharmed.
Original post by joey11223
Not going to take PETA's word for it, they're practically militant and when doing that expose on the live skinning of cats/dogs and other animals in China, a later interview with a worker discovered he was very confused, because he always killed them before he skinned them, but the white (PETA) man paid him money not to kill it first.

So yeah, give me some evidence here, they saw it right? Show the footage I assume they took?

Yeah I don't trust PETA's word either.
Reply 17
Ok, can't say I 'm in the know about Peta nor do I go seeking this stuff. I just stumbled upon it, I'm in no way a "leftie" or a "tree-hugger" but when I see something like this I don't automatically feel obliged to turn it into some kind of joke to make myself feel better about the world. I'm sure Tolkien wouldn't be pleased!
Reply 18
5 horses, allegedly - how many horses are 'humanely destroyed' each year at the grand national or various other racing events? More than 5, that's for sure.

As for the rest of the animals, well they are essentially live stock. 12 chickens? I eat that in a month. Next they'll be counting how many ants were trodden on.

Any actual Tolkien fans would know just how much the actors bond and take care of their horses during filming. After filming of the final Lord of the Rings film concluded, the horses were auctioned and many of the actors purchased the horse they had bonded with so well. Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) not only bought his horse, but bought the horse of a stunt actor playing Eowyn because the stunt actor could not afford it. The same can be said for many of the other actors.

It's disgraceful that PETA would try and tarnish the reputation of such a family friendly film that should be enjoyed for generations to come.
Reply 19
I heard about this a while ago and other sources have stated horses died in its production. However, the horses were injured/died off-set and away from the film crew because the place where they were kept wasn't very good and the injuries that happened occured on that farm. I can't remember exactly what happened, but Jackson said he'd never used that place before and never will again - he was just as horrified. It wasn't that acting cast or filming crew that harmed the animals. I have no idea who decides where they keep the animals - so blame that person if you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending