The Student Room Group

People being nasty to you for doing well at uni?

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any similar experiences or has an opinion on this. Basically, in one of my seminars, hardly anyone turns up, theres about 7 of us. However no one talks or answers any of the questions, apart from myself and an older student. We dont interrupt or do all the talking in a way where it doesnt give anyone else a chance, a question will be asked and everyone will sit in silence for a good few minutes until myself or the other guy decides to answer. Im not the most confident person so being able to speak out and contribute made me feel good about myself, but I was worried Id come across as a know it all for answering so much..

However I overheard one of the students saying something about how I "do all the work for class" and they were bitching/taking the piss out of me. I wasnt that bothered about this but it did make me wonder if these people are a minority as I havent come across anyone else who is bothered about people talking a lot in other classes or knowing a lot about a topic and speaking passionately about it. I kinda thought they were being a bit immature cos its like youre at uni now, arent you meant to be past the whole high school attitude of "if you do the work and you speak out or answer questions, youre a nerd/loser, haha, lets bully you". I stopped answering in the next class because I was getting a bit fed up of doing it, and also I find it odd they were bitching about it when myself and the other man answering meant that they werent put on the spot to answer if they hadnt done the work.. and its not like I always get the answers right either.

So Im just wondering what people think of this attitude, and if it is a minority of people who think this way about uni and actually doing the work?
Reply 1
Who cares about a bunch of immature losers. This is why I hated/hate high school.
In the end, your attitude will help you in not only your degree but with your confidence, which you underestimate the importance of.
I don't have time for people like that and you shouldn't either. Ignore them or if it gets worse, tell them to **** off. Don't compromise your work ethic because of them, especially if it works.
Reply 2
I had some seminars like that in first year (where most people just sat there like gormless ****ing idiots).

Who gives a **** what they say about you?

If people don't intend to contribute I wish they'd just not turn up/more seminar leaders had the balls to tell them to **** off.
I think it only bothered me because in that class due to the small amount of people who turn up, I havent been able to speak to anyone or make any friends, as these people are a big group of friends and they have all chosen to be in the same tutorial.. I do have friends at uni but i choose my seminars based on whens good for me and my timetable, and if my friend happens to be in the same one then thats good, but i prefer to be independent. So its just a bit intimidating me being by myself and answering and feeling like a 'nerd' due to their attitude and opinion because theyre in such a big group. The chances of me seeing them again after this semester are slim but theyre doing the same degree as me so they might be in my classes later on when its more concentrated.. hopefully theyll have changed by then (if they even pass?)...
Reply 4
Do what you gotta do. If it works for you, good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If you're not being annoying (and it doesn't sound like you are) then it's 100% their problem. They need to grow the hell up. If you're in 1st year then this should happen. There's a lot of difference between 1st years and 2nd/3rd/4th years.

Being on your own may make it worse - idiots tend to make assumptions. But again, this isn't your problem.
Original post by besomebody
If you're not being annoying (and it doesn't sound like you are) then it's 100% their problem. They need to grow the hell up. If you're in 1st year then this should happen. There's a lot of difference between 1st years and 2nd/3rd/4th years.

Being on your own may make it worse - idiots tend to make assumptions. But again, this isn't your problem.

Yeah youre right, Ive been in classes where there have been people who will answer everything and talk the whole time without so much as letting anyone else breathe.. But this is when no one offers up an answer and my tutor gives me a look of "oh go on please kill this silence" so Im like well I suppose I should just say... I dont know if its due to us being given a question to do and the girls from the group didnt do so well.. then when I was asked to read out my answer it was correct so they might have felt a bit pissed about this.. I also look really young for my age so they maybe think Im some sort of child genius :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Chocolatesoup
I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any similar experiences or has an opinion on this. Basically, in one of my seminars, hardly anyone turns up, theres about 7 of us. However no one talks or answers any of the questions, apart from myself and an older student. We dont interrupt or do all the talking in a way where it doesnt give anyone else a chance, a question will be asked and everyone will sit in silence for a good few minutes until myself or the other guy decides to answer. Im not the most confident person so being able to speak out and contribute made me feel good about myself, but I was worried Id come across as a know it all for answering so much..

However I overheard one of the students saying something about how I "do all the work for class" and they were bitching/taking the piss out of me. I wasnt that bothered about this but it did make me wonder if these people are a minority as I havent come across anyone else who is bothered about people talking a lot in other classes or knowing a lot about a topic and speaking passionately about it. I kinda thought they were being a bit immature cos its like youre at uni now, arent you meant to be past the whole high school attitude of "if you do the work and you speak out or answer questions, youre a nerd/loser, haha, lets bully you". I stopped answering in the next class because I was getting a bit fed up of doing it, and also I find it odd they were bitching about it when myself and the other man answering meant that they werent put on the spot to answer if they hadnt done the work.. and its not like I always get the answers right either.

So Im just wondering what people think of this attitude, and if it is a minority of people who think this way about uni and actually doing the work?

Its pathetic and immature really, seems some students still haven't grown up from the high school mentality of being cool if you don't do your homework or get loads of detentions :facepalm2:

Reminds me of talking to 1 or 2 people I used to know on my course and they'd ask me whether I'd done my essay or I'd done revision, while saying they'd hardly done anything (and end up rushing their work the night before), and when I'd say I had, they act as if I'm some sort of nerd or strange. I felt like saying 'No, its just I'm not a lazy **** like you' :rolleyes:

It all probably depends on what uni you go to really, I assume the majority at Oxbridge will have shaken off the high school attitudes and actually do their work, whereas if you go to a uni lower down the rankings like I unfortunately do, then there's going to be more dossers like my housemate who seems content just scrapping a 2.2.
Original post by concubine
I had some seminars like that in first year (where most people just sat there like gormless ****ing idiots).

Who gives a **** what they say about you?

If people don't intend to contribute I wish they'd just not turn up/more seminar leaders had the balls to tell them to **** off.

Has it actually gotten better this year then?

Second year there was only a slight improvement I thought.
Original post by Olie
Its pathetic and immature really, seems some students still haven't grown up from the high school mentality of being cool if you don't do your homework or get loads of detentions :facepalm2:

Reminds me of talking to 1 or 2 people I used to know on my course and they'd ask me whether I'd done my essay or I'd done revision, while saying they'd hardly done anything (and end up rushing their work the night before), and when I'd say I had, they act as if I'm some sort of nerd or strange. I felt like saying 'No, its just I'm not a lazy **** like you' :rolleyes:

It all probably depends on what uni you go to really, I assume the majority at Oxbridge will have shaken off the high school attitudes and actually do their work, whereas if you go to a uni lower down the rankings like I unfortunately do, then there's going to be more dossers like my housemate who seems content just scrapping a 2.2.

yeah, people will ask me if Ive done essays and I will have or be almost finished and they wont have even started yet.. but that could be down to people's work ethic, some prefer to do things last minute and in one day whereas that would be too stressful for me, I like to gradually work on something over time. But yeah I do feel like a 'nerd' for saying yeah i've finished my essay or they ask if Ive started yet and I have but instead I just say oh ive done a little bit. you dont want to come across as being too invested in the work but when you get goods grades it pays off and they always seem content with their grades even if they arent as good as they couldve gotten if theyd spent more time on it.
Reply 10
Hater gonna hate. That's the mentality you have to have.

**** those people bitching about you doing well, don't give them any thought.
Don't let them put you off. If you do a lot of hard work, it will pay off for you in the end. It's their problem if they dislike you for being passionate and working hard; those people aren't really worth you caring about. I agree it is rather immature!

Quick Reply

Latest