The Student Room Group

Advice Regarding Access Courses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kunoichi
Hey

I've just applied for the same course

I have to do an entrance exam in a few days, one maths and one english.

What kind of level was the maths one?
I only had a week's notice, so there is a lot to fit in for someone who hasnt had a maths lesson in years :colondollar:

Any help appreciated :smile:

How exciting!

I would imagine that each college has it's own requirements, but in general I would suggest that refreshing your skills with the maths basics (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) should be enough to see you through that part. There may be some questions on simple fractions or percentages too.

They may also ask you to write a quick report or essay on a topic. This will be on something such as why you wish to do the course, or perhaps ask for your opinion on a news article you have recently read.

The assessment will not be difficult - it's used to determine your capability, and they want you to pass!

Have a quick read of a broadsheet to find a good article to discuss, and refresh your math skills using a website such as BBC bitesize.

I wish you the best of luck - and hope you find the access course as fun and rewarding as I have.
Original post by VoxVeritas
How exciting!

I would imagine that each college has it's own requirements, but in general I would suggest that refreshing your skills with the maths basics (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) should be enough to see you through that part. There may be some questions on simple fractions or percentages too.

They may also ask you to write a quick report or essay on a topic. This will be on something such as why you wish to do the course, or perhaps ask for your opinion on a news article you have recently read.

The assessment will not be difficult - it's used to determine your capability, and they want you to pass!

Have a quick read of a broadsheet to find a good article to discuss, and refresh your math skills using a website such as BBC bitesize.

I wish you the best of luck - and hope you find the access course as fun and rewarding as I have.

Hi can u tell me if an access course to higher education is the same as an higher education diploma?

Thanc
Hi I don't hv my gcse maths but hv enrolled for functional skills for September. Can u plse kindly tell me if an access course to higher education is the same as an higher education diploma?
Many thanks.
I am sooooo confused here. What I meant to say was what's the difference between an access course to higher education n access course to higher education diploma? Ever so sorry for the confusion. Are they both the same thing?

Plse plse reply. Thankx
Original post by uglybetty73
Hi can u tell me if an access course to higher education is the same as an higher education diploma?

Thanc

I could be wrong (that happens more often than I care to admit!) but I believe they're different.

The access course is an 'Access to Higher Education Diploma', essentially a qualification which prepares students for higher education.

A 'Higher Education Diploma' encompasses any diploma earned through higher education. Anything from a HND (do they still do those?) to a degree. I think that it is most often used to refer to the certification of someone who completed a BA/BSc but failed to get second-class honours. Worth checking with a Uni to clarify though x
I feel this is a bit misleading. In my experience of taking an access course, although there were frequent deadlines, the course level was very easy and not challenging in the slightest. Without a doubt this is a great way into university, but on the other hand, it in no way prepares you for a university level course compared to A-levels. I would say the level probably reaches AS level, and not much further and is nowhere near as rigorous.
Thank u both for replying. I think I will have to inquire the differences tomorrow with the uni..Wolverhampton, just to be on the safe side. So confused atm. Thanks.
Reply 47
Can you please give me done tips on that exam I have to take before I get accepted for access course to study law at uni.
Original post by Nzar
Can you please give me done tips on that exam I have to take before I get accepted for access course to study law at uni.
<br>
<br>
I would imagine it differs considerably for each college, but it's likely to be more of a short maths test and some type of essay rather than an entrance exam. Refresh your basic maths skills (multiplication and division), perhaps look at fractions and percentages, and conversions (really basic ones - such as cm to metres). Good luck :smile:
Original post by uglybetty73
Hi can anyone advice me plse. I have applied for an access course in health and social care. Due to be called in for a maths n English assessment. What happens or will happen if I don't score enough marks on the maths paper. Will the college still accept me on the access course.

I recently had the entrance exams for an access course and I did badly in the maths exam but have been put through for a second interview which I'm assuming is a good thing. I think this was mainly due to having gcse maths grade c already. So if you don't do as well as you would hope it's not the end of the world. I think most colleges know that most people who apply haven't done maths or English for a while so just do your best and don't panic which is what I think I did.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need some guidance.

I just recently completed an access to medicine course. I have gained 60 credits which is enough to pass however the was the modules are set out it appears I haven't.

For example

Mandatory units = 9 credits
Study skills = 15 credits
Subject specific modules = 36 credits
Total = 60 credits

I have gained

Mandatory units = 12 credits (3 credits more)
Study skills = 15 credits
Subject specific modules = 33 credits (3 credits short)
Total = 60 credits

As it appears I have failed to pass the subject specific modules but yet I still have 60 credits. 51 are at level 3 and 9 at level 2.

I'm so confused, and nobody can tell me if I have passed or failed?

Any input would be appreciated
It sounds as though they have merely reassigned one of your subject specific modules to the mandatory category. On my course, Algebra was listed under mandatory units, not maths. Why don't you phone them to ask for clarification?
Hi,

I done an access course and entering university this year. Have no Highers and moderate Standard Grades. But I hated school and failed to bow to pressure that so many do.

Rather odd I think going from school straight into university . Would not suggest it to any of my kids if I had any.

The course was pretty tough and well respected. However I have come up against the younger ones feeling cheated. See their point but then they buckled under pressure upon further examination.

Just glad at my age at last going to uni! :smile::smile: However rather anxious and that is mainly due to my disability. (mental health)
Hey! :biggrin: Just wondering if anyone is starting the Access to HE(health and social care pathway) at Gloucestershire College, this September?
Hey,

I just finished an ATHE course in Humanities & Social Sciences. I finished on 51 distinctions and 9 merits and I'm off to Sussex to study philosophy. I wanted to make a quick note to students going to study this (because last year when I was searching around I wanted to know as much as possible!).

It is such an intense course, our group started with 30 and ended with 8. That being said, if you have the time and the drive you will do it. The first couple of months are intense because you apply for Uni when you've been there a very short time! so this involves writing your personal statement etc. The middle (January-April) I wish I had buckled down more because when it got to June I had 10 essays and there was a lot of stress even though i did finished on time.

I think you get such good preparation for University, study skills was one of the best things that my course gave me. How to write essays, structure, reference, take notes, it sounds basic but you learn skills that you don't see in A-levels (referencing etc) and I think it helps prepare you so much.

It's the best thing I have ever done and good luck to everyone doing it this year!! It will go fast, then you'll be preparing for Uni in a bit of a haze like "where did the last year of my life go!" wondering how you achieved so much in such little time!

Best of luck on your courses everyone :biggrin: x
Reply 55
Original post by BeccaJoanne
Hey,

I just finished an ATHE course in Humanities & Social Sciences. I finished on 51 distinctions and 9 merits and I'm off to Sussex to study philosophy. I wanted to make a quick note to students going to study this (because last year when I was searching around I wanted to know as much as possible!).

It is such an intense course, our group started with 30 and ended with 8. That being said, if you have the time and the drive you will do it. The first couple of months are intense because you apply for Uni when you've been there a very short time! so this involves writing your personal statement etc. The middle (January-April) I wish I had buckled down more because when it got to June I had 10 essays and there was a lot of stress even though i did finished on time.

I think you get such good preparation for University, study skills was one of the best things that my course gave me. How to write essays, structure, reference, take notes, it sounds basic but you learn skills that you don't see in A-levels (referencing etc) and I think it helps prepare you so much.

It's the best thing I have ever done and good luck to everyone doing it this year!! It will go fast, then you'll be preparing for Uni in a bit of a haze like "where did the last year of my life go!" wondering how you achieved so much in such little time!

Best of luck on your courses everyone :biggrin: x

Congratulations on you results! I've also finished my access course and have received enough distinctions to go to Sussex uni (which I've fallen in love with) I just need to wait on my GCSE maths.

I would 100% second what you said I really wish I had not been in such a lazy festive mood in December and January because by June I was struggling and I honestly thought I wouldn't make it. I would encourage anyone to just keep going.
Original post by Optimistprime
Hey! :biggrin: Just wondering if anyone is starting the Access to HE(health and social care pathway) at Gloucestershire College, this September?

I'm doing my assessment for there at the end of this month, although i am doing the humanitites pathway.

Struggling to decide between there and Stroud at the moment :smile:
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can offer some clarity on my dilemma whilst I await an answer from college...

I have GCSE English Lang B, Biology B,Maths C. I'm desperately hoping to be accepted onto the orthoptics degree at Sheffield in 2015 and hoping to get there via an Access to HE in science. I just cannot figure out whether I will be in with a chance. The uni said they do accept Access but I would need 60 credits (45 of which to be distinction and 15 at level 3 including maths and bio) additional to GCSE maths and English at a B. Maths is the one I don't have.

My Access course at West Notts college reads as below....

What will I study?
You will study a range of modules as list below:
Study Skills
Maths (Level 3)
ICT
Individual Research Project in Chemistry or Biology
General Biology
Human Biology
Chemistry

My questions are...are all subjects taught at level 3 and therefore likely to provide me with enough level 3/distinction credits for the degree (willing to work extremely hard but need to know its possible)

Also, will completing the above solve the issue of not having GCSE B in maths? Sorry for the every specific questions, I am waiting on answers from the college but getting nervous about time...
Original post by Ema_lou8

Starting from this coming academic year, all Access courses will offer 45 subject-specific credits at level 3. The remaining 15 credits can be either level 2 or level 3, but will only be awarded as pass or fail. These 15 credits will usually consist of Study Skills or level 2 maths and English.

You will probably need to resit GCSE maths to get that 'B' grade, but it might be best to email Sheffield and ask their advice: they might be willing to forego it. You should be able to manage the GCSE alongside your Access course, as long as you are not over-committed in other areas of your life.

These are the current requirements for Orthoptics at Sheffield (taken from UCAS course search):

•

Access to HE

•

General information on subjects/grades required for entry:Access to HE Diploma in a relevant subject: 60 credits overall with Distinctions in 30 Level 3 credits and Merits in 15 Level 3 credits to include units in Biology and Maths. Applicants are also interviewed.

(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the reply, yeah I'll email the uni regarding the maths GCSE I think I should be able to manage it along side the access course if that is what's required. Just want to know that I have the best possible chance as I know the places for Orthoptics are very limited. Thanks again for the info.

Quick Reply

Latest