The Student Room Group

Advice Regarding Access Courses

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Ive just completed an access course and got into my preferred university, so not sure if anyone can help.

Can anyone who has completed the course and is already at university let me know how difficult they found the step up in work between the access course and degree level?

Thanks
Matt
BEFORE starting the access course you really NEED to look at the universities and course requirements, that way you know when you begin what is expected of you instead of getting to the end of the year and realising your not getting into Uni with your grades, its just a waste of a year ! :biggrin: Thats what my whole group did then knuckled down and supported each other and all but the odd one or two of us have got a good place at Uni :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Sorry that I have already posted this in another thread, however I am sure most people would benefit from this post on a new thread, if they do not get to see it elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

All the advise I am about to give you, is most likely what you will not want to hear however it is probably the most honest answer.

Access courses are rewarding, and are great, ONLY if you are consistent, work hard and want to achieve. They are not their for a quick short cut to university, if you want to go to university to study anything less academic grades required (Not medicine/dentistry/health), then I would suggest studying a BTEC level 2/3, in which you can have plenty of help from the teachers and trying to get many distinctions to get to university.

If your still reading this post and thinking, I am dedicated, motivated and I am willing to work hard throughout the year, then please read on.

I will give you the example of myself, I am studying an Access course this year and have applied to university for September. I think I read, that you wanted to apply for Law at university, so this will be most relevant to yourself, seeing as I have also applied to study Law at university.

In my college, they're are 27 units that are taught across from September to July (we finish in May, and if you are up to date, in which you should be). They're are 3 credits per unit. 27 units x 3 = 81 credits in total. 23 of them units are taught at level 3, and 4 units at taught at level 2 (maximum grade is level 2).

Some colleges have 6 credits per unit, or even 9, however in them colleges, not every unit will amount to them high amounts of credits, best way to think about it, the more credits, the harder the work (even though you still have to study really hard to get distinctions/merits at 3 credits a piece).

To pass an access course, you will need 45 of them credits at level 3 (15 units, if we are going by my college), and 15 credits at level 2, minimum. Anything less and you will not pass the access course. Units can come in the following grades, : Referral (Fail), Level 2, Level 3 (Pass, Merit, Distinction). To get a level 3 Pass, you just need to attend college and pay attention/understand the work and finish your assignment. To get a level 3 Merit, you need to do all the things for a Pass INCLUDING Extra research, working in depth or breath. To get a level 3 Distinction, you need to do all the things for a Pass & Merit INCLUDING all extra sources of information, working in depth AND breath, knowing all the various types of cases out their and to work beyond the call of duty.

SOME university courses, require you to only have a pass and that is fine. However you can still get an offer for a pass from a university and then aim for Merits & Distinctions to put on your CV, maybe for a bursary at that university.

Law LLB, depending on where you want to study WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE at university just on a pass. Some university's ask for a pass INCLUDING 18 credits at Merit (6 units at Merit). Then you will have the redbrick/ Russell group university's such as University of Birmingham asking for a pass INCLUDING 30 credits at Distinction (10 units at Distinction) and 15 credits at Merit (5 units at Merit).

To put the University of Birmingham offer into context, a typical offer for Law LLB last year with A levels was AAA, and this year it has stayed the same. Last year's Law LLB offer for access courses was, 24 credits at Distinction (8 units) and 15 credits at Merit (5 units). If we call them grades an equivalency of AAA. This year's offer is, 30 credits at Distinction (10 units) and 15 credits at Merit (5 units). Then the equivalency of these grades to A level will probably be A*AA?. All this is not even accounting to the LNAT test which is required to receive an offer from 10 redbrick/Russell group universities.

It is very TOUGH. When we started off the year, there was 35+ people in our class and there was a 2nd list of people who were substitutes in case people dropped out. 6 weeksish we have left and we have only 6 people left. Seriously, it is tough.

Many of my friends have applied to University of Birmingham like me, (staying in Birmingham because of family/work commitments as usual mature students), and they have offers like 30 credits at Distinction (10 units) and they currently have only 12 credits at Distinction (4 units). Because it is too late towards the end of the year, they have wished they could go back and redo work to the best of their ability.

If you are still going to apply to an Access Course, here are some top tips for you guys.

TOP TIPS

1)Make a list of all the courses you wish to do
2)Ring all the universities you wish to attend and inquire about their courses
A)Ask them, If I am studying an Access course in .... (Combined Studies?), then how many credits, grades will I require to study my chosen degree?
B)Ask them, Will I be required to take any external exams, which will not be supplied on my Access course, (For Law, LNAT Exam, which has nothing to do with Access course)? and what grade will I need for that? If so, what deadline will I have to achieve this by?
C)Ask them, Will I need GCSE's alongside my Access course? Science? English? Maths? Will I need 5 GCSE's above C? (For teachers, you will need C in Maths & English, if you want to do an Education degree I believe)
D)Ask them, Do I have to study a specific Access course? or can I study a generic Access course? (For health related studies, you need to study a health related Access course due to the information related degree, however for Law, there is Access to Law, but you do not need any Law information to study a Law degree (just like A level students)
3)Ring your college and ask them, if they tailor your access course to any degree subjects?

4)Make a monthly routine, NOW before you start college in September, to see how it feels like when you are a student. Monday-Friday 9.00am-3.00pm, are you free? or are you always doing something, which when September comes up, you can't be doing because you will be in college. Can you sort out school runs, because you have children to pick up and drop off and your college does not cater to start after 9.15am and finish before 3pm.
5)Read up, write a report yourself on anything, anything your interested in, so when you start in September, you aren't boggled in which way a PC starts.
6)If you are not computer literate, get your family members to show you a few tips and tricks on how to make a Word document, Excel document, Powerpoint document. People on my course depending on getting Distinction grades in ICT modules and they have never used a PC before/struggling to login with their details.

Access course's DONT DO GCSE's, they do equivalents, they are like half GCSE's. However, if you find this information out prior, then you could maybe do a night class, to get the grades you require.

Everyone loves Access courses because you can complete the course in a year and then get to university, without the ALTERNATIVE ROUTE of studying 3/4 A levels across 2 years. But do you realise, that means you will be studying and handing in 5 to 6 assignments in 1 go EVERY 5-6 weeks.

E.g, I am towards the end of my assignment and this is how my current week went.

Monday AM - English Report (4000 Words)
Monday PM - English Literature (Powerpoint Assignment)
Tuesday AM - Psychology Report x2 (3500 Words)
Tuesday PM - Maths Report x4
Thursday AM - Biology Exam
Thursday PM - ICT Reports x2

You will have an average of 4/5 weeks to slowly get work done, and then you will have a headache/stressful week of handing things in. IF YOU ARE LAZY/NOT STUDYING and prefer to do "All nighters/night before" then you will have a stressful year. Believe Me.

Sorry for scaring you all away, off an Access course. I have read all the comments on this thread, and all the other threads related to an Access course over the course of the year and have not found "real" information, that I have stated and if it is said, it is not emphasized.

To get all my Good karma back;

If you need help related to an Access Course, Feel free to message me,
If you need help related to an application to study Law at university, Feel free to message me,
Anything about what ever I messaged above, good or bad feedback, I welcome them.

P.S, if someone disagrees, or wants to neg, please quote and post anything I have said, which is wrong.

Thanks, Peace. Hopefully I have informed you with the correct information to make a correct decision which will affect your future.

Hi, is there anything i can do to help me prepare for the access course? or any reading i can do to give me heads up? thanks.
Thank you so much for this information.
You have kindly, taken the time to give your honest opinions and facts about requirements that you have.
I hope you get the results you want, and achieve your end goal
Kind regards
Reply 64
Am I too late to apply for access he science this year?
Reply 65
I think it was a mistake to do the access course. I ****ing feel that despite that this my second attempt on a different access course (The first was Music) I feel i have no passion whatsoever to study this access to he business. I suffer from anxiety and my attendance is dire. The course is way too fast and i might end up failing. Bizzarely i don't want to study business management as i've decided i want to study music at university but that would be so hard to translate to Universities and the personal statement.

I also feel the teachers actually do not give a **** about the students on the access course. They have not one day helped my personal statement, neither have they helped us on the subjects. I feel like they are running this Course as a business as my tutor bluntly said 'I'm looking for idiots to kick out'. I think i will lose anyway because i'm by far a very dumb learner and also i'm seen as the loner (Despite i made sure i spoke to others). I'm probably thinking of leaving this country as a whole as well as me living in London has clearly past it's expiry date.

I advice people not do the access course. It seems too suicidal and unlikely to pass.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by O.Ozz
I think it was a mistake to do the access course. I ****ing feel that despite that this my second attempt on a different access course (The first was Music) I feel i have no passion whatsoever to study this access to he business. I suffer from anxiety and my attendance is dire. The course is way too fast and i might end up failing. Bizzarely i don't want to study business management as i've decided i want to study music at university but that would be so hard to translate to Universities and the personal statement.

I also feel the teachers actually do not give a **** about the students on the access course. They have not one day helped my personal statement, neither have they helped us on the subjects. I feel like they are running this Course as a business as my tutor bluntly said 'I'm looking for idiots to kick out'. I think i will lose anyway because i'm by far a very dumb learner and also i'm seen as the loner (Despite i made sure i spoke to others). I'm probably thinking of leaving this country as a whole as well as me living in London has clearly past it's expiry date.

I advice people not do the access course. It seems too suicidal and unlikely to pass.

I disagree with you. I'm currently on the humanities access course and it is the best. It's providing me with essential skills for university. Maybe if you actually had good attendance on the course then the teachers would care about you. You need to sort out your anxiety issues and maybe give it a year before you actually return to education.
Reply 67
Original post by Nininho20
I disagree with you. I'm currently on the humanities access course and it is the best. It's providing me with essential skills for university. Maybe if you actually had good attendance on the course then the teachers would care about you. You need to sort out your anxiety issues and maybe give it a year before you actually return to education.

Maybe it's just different Colleges on how they control the access course. and i'm definitely not giving out a year. I'm staying on this course, I'm just gonna think of how to pass in a different way.
Reply 68
Original post by matt_brown67
Hi,

Ive just completed an access course and got into my preferred university, so not sure if anyone can help.

Can anyone who has completed the course and is already at university let me know how difficult they found the step up in work between the access course and degree level?

Thanks
Matt

There is a lot more independent studying and substantive reading. In regards to actual examination I imagine it differs based upon the course. On mine there is no draft submissions (on my access there was) and it is a one-shot system. You can retake exams later but are capped at lowest possible pass rate.

Umm not sure if that answered the question, it is a little vague.
Reply 69
Original post by O.Ozz

On the basis that I did an Access course and through it got into the University of my choice, doing the subject I wanted to do, I disagree with this statement.

You have issues. Other people may not. It doesn't work for you. So do something else.

I would, and do, actively encourage people to pursue an Access course. If they know what they want to study and where it is a fantastic opportunity.
Reply 70
Wouldn't say so, with grades like that you definitely have a chance. Somebody mentioned the step up from Access to Uni well i think it prepares you fantastically for University obviously though it helps to access services on campus to help you when you get in to get your bearings but would recommend an Access course all day long. Doing a foundation course is also a good way froward, as your chances of progressing onto the Undergrad course at the same uni is higher if you have done the foundation there and done well. So if you want to ensure security of a place at a Russel group uni try the foundation course instead of the Access.=)
Reply 71
Guys, after two months of posting, i still think the access course is full of ****, My college could be the worst in Education history as they got rid of 7-10 people who were so **** in the course and they brought them back and came back worse than ever. I keep bunking as well because i have depression and i'm seen as the nobody.

My problem and im not being offensive is the access course should not be intensive at all whatsoever, it should be seen as the 'fastrack BTEC'. As a 19 year old, university needs to be an 'fix quick' for me because i will not tolerate me going to uni in my mid-20s/30s/40s. I'm already embarrased that im going to uni at 20 (if i MAKE IT).

People, access courses is only for those who describe themselves as 'the Social Chameleon', someone who 'knows what they want to do' not for people like me who is suffering from a mental illness and seen as the Loser of Life.
Reply 72
Original post by O.Ozz
Guys, after two months of posting, i still think the access course is full of ****, My college could be the worst in Education history as they got rid of 7-10 people who were so **** in the course and they brought them back and came back worse than ever. I keep bunking as well because i have depression and i'm seen as the nobody.

My problem and im not being offensive is the access course should not be intensive at all whatsoever, it should be seen as the 'fastrack BTEC'. As a 19 year old, university needs to be an 'fix quick' for me because i will not tolerate me going to uni in my mid-20s/30s/40s. I'm already embarrased that im going to uni at 20 (if i MAKE IT).

People, access courses is only for those who describe themselves as 'the Social Chameleon', someone who 'knows what they want to do' not for people like me who is suffering from a mental illness and seen as the Loser of Life.

Why don't you just drop out? It sounds like you aren't interested, and probably aren't capable of dealing with it. Just call it a day....
Reply 73
Original post by josh_v
Why don't you just drop out? It sounds like you aren't interested, and probably aren't capable of dealing with it. Just call it a day....

NEVER! i will NEVER drop out, i need to leave my family and leave london in order to get my degree to fufil my dreams. Maybe if i go uni, i will have a changed personality
The information regarding credits isn't relevant anymore,
They changed the Access structure so there are 60 credits, 15 pass/fail and 15 from each subjects
So I'm currently doing Biology 1 and 2 and psychology which makes 45 = 60

And universities do not all accept access courses, if they charge £9000 a year they have to consider access but if it says only in special circumstances you will 90% not get a place

I agree though, if you're unorganised it gets hard
Constantly getting assignments
Worth it though!!!
I wonder what university's you're applying for. As I'm doing an access course and have got into uni and the ones I've applied for, all accept this course...even the Russell group ones. They expect all distinctions. It's a hard course. Yes you get jokers who come along expecting it to be an easier version of A levels, but they leave before the £3k fee kicks in! It prepares you for uni as its hard work and you have lots of essays to do. Each college will teach it differently but the one I went to has 15 credits upgraded, to get you into essay writing. Then 45 graded. You get. Taught about plagiarism and other things which you'll need to know at university. For me, it's the best grounding I could've wanted. I'd been out of education for 15+ years.
Hi, I was wondering if you could maybe help me. I am 19 and in my third year of A- levels (I resat my first) for a few months now I have been thinking of leaving, I am just depressed and unhappy with it, I have even skipped a few days. I came across an access course in 2 college close to me, I wanna go do nursing in uni- so I was thinking of doing the access course for nursing and midwifery or nursing and health professions. You have given me a bit more information so thanks for that- on the colleges websites there arent much information about them. And I was going to go to open days too.
I have been stressing over the whole situation cos the course sounds right for me- especially with assignments and coursework involved aswell as exams. So me and my boyfiend has talked about it (for the 50th time) and suggested on leaving where I am now, picking up a job to pay for the course in september. But the thing is I really dont want to apply for the course and then they turn round and say well you left college so youre not good enough to be in the course
But I know I am hardworking, and I know I have to put the work in it to get whatever I want out of it- my mum has taught me that all my life. I have learnt with my a levels I have to put the work in it from the start. In the first year I got Es and Us all across 4 subjects. Last year I worked hard and it showed- I got U's up to Cs, in one exam I moved a U to a B, I even moved my assignment tests from a U to 4 marks off full marks! I know its going to be hard, I know its going to require work and effort and I know I can do that. My course is only 2/3 days a week which is a lot better than a levels because the rest of the week I do have time to do the work at home and that.
Do you think I am making the right decision? And do you think if I show them the evidence that I can work hard, they will atleast give me a chance? The thing is even just thinking about doing this access course, makes me feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders, my boyfriend even said hes never heard me talk so confident and happy/ excited about anything to do with my education before. The thing is my mother passed away last year, and she didnt do half the stuff she wanted to do, and the thing is I just think why be somewhere if I am so unhappy when I could be doing something that I actually like and enjoy
Sorry its very long, thanks for your time
Reply 77
Original post by Jiraya Sama
No problem.

Hiya I know this is quite an old thread but do you still come on Student Room occasionally

Thanks in advance - I just wanted to ask you something about the access course thanks
My Access Story

I made my decision to start access really late. I was in a job I hated and wanted to better myself having always known I was a bit of a failure at school (Early 1990's).

In June 2013 after a discussion with someone who had completed the ATHE I decided that I wanted to give it a go. I knew that the next course was due to start in the September so I needed to
pull my finger out and apply. I received a date to attend the local college to sit an English/Maths test in which I scored surprisingly highly. I was then invited back to attend an interview with 2 of the
Access tutors. Finally a couple of weeks later I received my acceptance letter and I was filled with dread. I was no longer looking in to going back to education having been out for almost 20 years,
I was actually doing it.

I started my course in September 2013, I was on the humanities pathway. I was pretty nervous as I went in for my first day picking up my timetable and being shown around. I felt like I had gone back 20 years and it was my first day at school. We were all warned on the first day that it was going to be a very intensive course and that it will require dedication for a year. Well they weren't wrong. By Christmas over 6,000 words had been written along with various exams, personal statements written and universities applied for (This was only 3 months in!).

I applied for 5 different universities all the same course Education Studies. By April I had offers from every single uni that I had applied for. My first choice required 45 level 3 merits and 15 level 2's. I just needed to buckle down keep going, keep handing in my assignments, keep attending the classes and stay positive.

By April I knew that I was on the brink of achieving and by far exceeding the 45 merits required. I was left with just my extended essay/research project to do, 4000 words on a subject of my choosing. I had really enjoyed my History module and decided that my extended essay would be in History. I chose an interesting topic and began to read and read and read.

Finishing in June just 12 months after initially applying I was ecstatic with my results 27 distinctions 21 merits (3 over) and 15 level 2's. I had achieved what I set out to do and I was now off for a new adventure and the unit of my choice.

I started University in October 2014 and after completing half of my first year so far I can honestly say the Access has put me in an amazing position and certainly my first year seems a lot easier that the Access course. I have had 2 results back so far which is half of my first year a 71 and an 84 both firsts.
Reply 79
Original post by mdhayter1
My Access Story

I made my decision to start access really late. I was in a job I hated and wanted to better myself having always known I was a bit of a failure at school (Early 1990's).

In June 2013 after a discussion with someone who had completed the ATHE I decided that I wanted to give it a go. I knew that the next course was due to start in the September so I needed to
pull my finger out and apply. I received a date to attend the local college to sit an English/Maths test in which I scored surprisingly highly. I was then invited back to attend an interview with 2 of the
Access tutors. Finally a couple of weeks later I received my acceptance letter and I was filled with dread. I was no longer looking in to going back to education having been out for almost 20 years,
I was actually doing it.

I started my course in September 2013, I was on the humanities pathway. I was pretty nervous as I went in for my first day picking up my timetable and being shown around. I felt like I had gone back 20 years and it was my first day at school. We were all warned on the first day that it was going to be a very intensive course and that it will require dedication for a year. Well they weren't wrong. By Christmas over 6,000 words had been written along with various exams, personal statements written and universities applied for (This was only 3 months in!).

I applied for 5 different universities all the same course Education Studies. By April I had offers from every single uni that I had applied for. My first choice required 45 level 3 merits and 15 level 2's. I just needed to buckle down keep going, keep handing in my assignments, keep attending the classes and stay positive.

By April I knew that I was on the brink of achieving and by far exceeding the 45 merits required. I was left with just my extended essay/research project to do, 4000 words on a subject of my choosing. I had really enjoyed my History module and decided that my extended essay would be in History. I chose an interesting topic and began to read and read and read.

Finishing in June just 12 months after initially applying I was ecstatic with my results 27 distinctions 21 merits (3 over) and 15 level 2's. I had achieved what I set out to do and I was now off for a new adventure and the unit of my choice.

I started University in October 2014 and after completing half of my first year so far I can honestly say the Access has put me in an amazing position and certainly my first year seems a lot easier that the Access course. I have had 2 results back so far which is half of my first year a 71 and an 84 both firsts.

Thanks for your honesty it really helps. Meanwhile I am finding the course a real struggle, I have even won a certificate for outstanding attendance lool but still I can't make the grade and have had to do a couple of resits. The interviews for uni so far have been with offers and waiting hear about the others but I have been out of education for 20 years also but I am questioning whether I am cut out to do this, The dedication is there but my results so far fail to show that. So confused and frustrated

Quick Reply

Latest