The Student Room Group

Advice Regarding Access Courses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by renbel
Thanks for your honesty it really helps. Meanwhile I am finding the course a real struggle, I have even won a certificate for outstanding attendance lool but still I can't make the grade and have had to do a couple of resits. The interviews for uni so far have been with offers and waiting hear about the others but I have been out of education for 20 years also but I am questioning whether I am cut out to do this, The dedication is there but my results so far fail to show that. So confused and frustrated

I honestly found it a struggle too. It didn't come easy and I had to really push myself. This is the most stressful time with exams coming up and research project looming. Just remember though to keep plodding on.... keep turning up.... keep handing in assignments do everything that is set and in a couple of months time you will feel fantastic. You're nearly there!
Reply 81
Original post by mdhayter1
I honestly found it a struggle too. It didn't come easy and I had to really push myself. This is the most stressful time with exams coming up and research project looming. Just remember though to keep plodding on.... keep turning up.... keep handing in assignments do everything that is set and in a couple of months time you will feel fantastic. You're nearly there!

Thank you. Look us conversing at this time of the morning, I guess you are studying too. I am only up at this time as this particular task is worth 6 credits and I really need these credits to boost me.

Just in case you are not studying and ready to dive into bed I bid you good night and thanks again.
"Access course's DONT DO GCSE's, they do equivalents, they are like half GCSE's."

I don't understand what this means?
Reply 83
Thank you for reposting this thread, its very helpful as im considering at a late stage of life to do midwifery. Im trying to be realistic about the commitment needed, so this is good to read an honest account Thank you and Good Luck : )
Reply 84
Thanks for all of the helpful info. I've applied for the Access Health Care Professions course starting this September at my local college and I cant wait to get going.
Reply 85
Hi there, I've just been accpected onto a Access course to HE in Science because I'd love to do Chemistry as a degree, I'm now 20 years old and I've not really gone through with the traditional way of getting to Uni.

I'm just really worried that an access course might not provide me with enough information to prepare me for Uni because I've noticed that the Access work is some-what kind of the same as BTEC Level 2, it's like that in this college anyway.

So I just wanted your opinion to see what you think, I'm more than happy to do the access because it's my dream to get to Uni and I'm a very hard-working person who had D's across the year last year during my BTEC Level 2, so any words would be great.

And also advice would be great, thank you for your time and have a great day.
Reply 86
Hi Arfon, I am not doing an Access course in science though that was originally my first love but social work. I cannot stress to you how important it is to do an Access course at a college that is brilliant. My access course is not great at all and I am going into uni, still not knowing how to properly do research; and we have not been taught about academic writing either which is so important as a social worker. I have thoroughly enjoyed the course but myself and others have come to the conclusion that it is best to go to a great college that will give you help and support in the access course. If you are not feeling this with your college can you look elsewhere that has great reviews?

Access is tough but if you have a great support network by way of staff you will enjoy it and be prepared for uni. It is good that you are hardworking as this will pay off in the end
I can't go to college because I work full time so I want to do it distance learning, Any one done this and if so have you any advise?

I have found out about GCSE's though Access courses used to do GCSE equivalences as part of the course, but from what I can gather the rules have changed and they are not offered any more, though some universities still accept the old GCSE equivalence courses even though they are not allowed to be called that any more. It seems to depend on the University as they all seems to want different things.
Original post by Willow Tree
I can't go to college because I work full time so I want to do it distance learning, Any one done this and if so have you any advise?

I have found out about GCSE's though Access courses used to do GCSE equivalences as part of the course, but from what I can gather the rules have changed and they are not offered any more, though some universities still accept the old GCSE equivalence courses even though they are not allowed to be called that any more. It seems to depend on the University as they all seems to want different things.

Do you mean distance learning Access courses or alternative distance learning qualifications? What do you want to do at university? GCSE equivalents are no longer offered at most colleges because universities won't accept them.
Original post by Snufkin
Do you mean distance learning Access courses or alternative distance learning qualifications? What do you want to do at university? GCSE equivalents are no longer offered at most colleges because universities won't accept them.

Sorry I mean distance learning Access courses, I have A levels but they are too long ago and the universities want proof of recent study. I am interested in Law or Psychology and then Law.

I looked up about GCSE equivalences just because I didn't know what they were and found them on the QAA webite where they say that they no longer support them, but I did find that some universities were accepting them when I did a search but can't remember who now.

Bye the way, love the name Snufkin, it is from Finn family Moomintroll if I remember correctly. I loved those books when I was a child and especially Snufkin as he was so independent and an adventurer. Is that why you picked it? :smile:
Hi,

I've applied to do an access course in Social Science this September.

I'm just wondering if someone could give me a rough idea how the different subjects are broken down. In this course I will be doing Psychology, Sociology, Law and Criminology, plus study skills.

Also, how much did the course cost you? Could you get funding? From what I've read you can only get funding if you're over 24, which doesn't really help me:frown:

Any information would really help a very stressed, confused and tired person:smile:
Reply 91
Original post by shannon_leigh94
Hi,

I've applied to do an access course in Social Science this September.

I'm just wondering if someone could give me a rough idea how the different subjects are broken down. In this course I will be doing Psychology, Sociology, Law and Criminology, plus study skills.

Also, how much did the course cost you? Could you get funding? From what I've read you can only get funding if you're over 24, which doesn't really help me:frown:

Any information would really help a very stressed, confused and tired person:smile:

Access courses don't have a national curriculum as far as I'm aware. How your time is split and what area depends on how your college decides to arrange it. Typically your college will offer you the cheapest price available to you. When I did it, I think I paid £200 rather than the £2000 that was stated.
I would ask the college how many credits of each subject they are offering and make sure that the universities you are hoping to apply to are happy with the break down of credits per subject. I would also ask them about the cost as I believe since 24+ loans came in the cost for these courses have gone up a lot over the past couple of years, I have been told that without a loan the cost will be about £3500. However, I am not sure if all Access courses cost the same, as I think that within limits they can set their own fees.

I have found doing some research on the courses the colleges offer and by asking what the universities like to see in an Access course very helpful as I nearly took up a place one college and then found out what they were offering on the course meant that I would not be able get into the University I was interested in going to. So I have been looking at doing Access on line as there seems to be far more choice that way, but then I am quite independent and think that I will be OK studying on my own, which obviously won't suite some people. The course I am looking at costs just over a £1000 for 12 months study (I don't want to get into even more debt with a loan for this and then another one for university, so I will be paying monthly). I am also going to start now to finish for May next year and hopefully go to university next September.:smile:
Reply 93
I was 21 when I did mine last year and it was free, if I remember correctly that's because I didn't have any level 3 qualifications. I'm pretty sure if you're in the same situation and under 24 you don't pay but ring up and ask just incase
I think if you dont have level 3 qualifications, then access os free if youre under 24. For 24+ you get the free loan.

For the gcse equivalent. Idid functional skills which is equivalent to gcse. My uni accepted it, but many dont. You need to check with the university as some state gcse or equivalent.

For the person asking about distance access course, my friend os currently doing it and is finding it ok. As she works at her pace although its hard to fit in with working full time.
Thanks for the information, I agree it is hard when you are working full time but at least you can still work full time which means getting a wage and it also means no child care costs if you have children and need them to be in nursery when you are at college. I have now bitten the bullet and have joined up for a distance learning Access course so will let you all know how I get on, so far so good, tutors ring me every week and I have e-mail contact with them every day... well in my case every night cos of work, the topic books are good, but I haven't done an assessment yet, should be getting my first one this week. So fingers crossed.
Reply 96
Some great info on here, and definitely what I wanted to hear. I've applied for access to science starting this year, to hopefully go onto to uni BSc Environmental Management.

I am 38, I never did Alevels but did well in a BTeC many years ago. i am really quite concerned about the pace and generally if I am academic enough to learn at this level- but I am staying positive and really want to change my life.
I have two children and I am a lone parent, so I known this is going to be tough.

I am going to do the course at Hemel Hempstead- does anyone have experience of that college? The lecturer already advised me against working while studying as there will not be the time.

My reference has just been returned so now Im waiting for interview. It's going to cost me £3300! So I certainly will be taking it seriously.
Reply 97
Original post by Nssssn
Some great info on here, and definitely what I wanted to hear. I've applied for access to science starting this year, to hopefully go onto to uni BSc Environmental Management.

I am 38, I never did Alevels but did well in a BTeC many years ago. i am really quite concerned about the pace and generally if I am academic enough to learn at this level- but I am staying positive and really want to change my life.
I have two children and I am a lone parent, so I known this is going to be tough.

I am going to do the course at Hemel Hempstead- does anyone have experience of that college? The lecturer already advised me against working while studying as there will not be the time.

My reference has just been returned so now Im waiting for interview. It's going to cost me £3300! So I certainly will be taking it seriously.

Good on you and congratulations on enrolling. I am a few weeks away from finishing and yes the Access course in ANY subject is tough. The pace is tough but some of my peers have managed to hold jobs whilst doing the course but they did miss a few lessons and have spent some time catching up. If you are determined enough you will succeed and the year goes by very quickly. all the best
Original post by Nssssn
. It's going to cost me £3300! So I certainly will be taking it seriously.

Are you aware that you can get a 24+ learning loan to cover your tuition fees? You don't have to start paying it back unless and until you are earning more than £21,000 per year, and if you graduate from university, it gets wiped off completely.
I am doing my course via distance learning and it not costing me anything like that much, I also work full time but although it is hard the course is designed to fit round me not the other way round. I was rather wary of the loan as it is only non repayable if you finish the diploma with high grades, apply to and get a place at university, and then get a degree. If life does not work out in the perfect way we all hope that it will then you are left with a loan to repay for very little else. So I decided that paying monthly for the Access Diploma was a better bet and also if I find that I can't do it, or its not for me then I can just leave and not pay any more. But so far so good I am enjoying it and I am nearly through my first assessment so we will have to see if what I am doing is good enough or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending