The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The worst is when people come out of the exam going "It was awful, I didn't understand ANYTHING, I didn't even write anything for the last question" and then get an A* :angry:
Original post by enragedbiscuit
The worst is when people come out of the exam going "It was awful, I didn't understand ANYTHING, I didn't even write anything for the last question" and then get an A* :angry:

Or when they start telling people they expect a D and come out with an A*? :colondollar:
I agree with what some other people have said. Some people need to work hard at absorbing course content or simply crumple under exam conditions. Others have brains like sponges - they can flick through a CGP book once and remember it all - AND they don't crumple under exam pressure.
Original post by SexiestNameEver
Of course the title is a bit of an exaggeration but still.

People say they don't revise. Ever. And then on August the 23rd they get mostly A/A*'s (some full UMS marks).

And then they say "I don't know how I got that I didn't know anything."

No bitch, you revised. You revised to your heart's ****ing content.

Why do people do this? It pisses me off. I'm sorry for the exaggeration and swearing but this ALWAYS happens. Just say you revised. What are you gonna lose?

Edit: Note I said people who claim they do not revise AT ALL, not "a bit". And then they get A/A*'s and claim they didn't understand anything. Please.

I deduce that the naturally gifted have made you somewhat...how you say nowadays...jelly :holmes:
I'm sure there are quite a few people who say this, but who actually revise like hell, but the thing is there are actually people who can pull this type of thing off.
Original post by Serpentine111
But I didn't revise for my GCSE exams and I got all A*/A grades. I've always found people who say they are revising 2 weeks for each exam at GCSE a bit of a joke- they really aren't hard to get A*/A in if you've listened in class (However, A-levels are a very different story). To answer your question, I guess some people just want to make it seem like they haven't revised to make themselves seem really clever? Or just an excuse as to why they got an A grade and not an A*? :dontknow:

Do you mean 2 weeks before the exam?I started revising a week before the Easter Holidays for my May exams and my maths teacher, who is high up in the school said that we should be revising for every subject now and this was a lot of weeks before the Easter Holidays.

I once thought I had got a D and got a high A because I had forgotten everything and just made everything on the spot.
Reply 87
I always thought it was like a back-up, just in case people did badly even though they revised i.e. people think if you get 50% and didn't revise, it is MUCH better than if you did revise and get 50%.

That has happened to me so many ****ing times. I have literally went home kicking my ass because I had found an exam **** load of hard stuff and there was my friend who found the same. I thought, yeah **** if I fail, she can fail with me. And then results came, guess what happened? Yeap, I got my ass kicked because she got an A*.
Original post by The Essayist
Or when they start telling people they expect a D and come out with an A*? :colondollar:

Aha maybe they're not lying about that and they did expect a D :colondollar: :K:
Forgive me I have only done that once in my whole life and I have no idea how I got that A for french listening. :facepalm:
Original post by Dalek1099
Do you mean 2 weeks before the exam?I started revising a week before the Easter Holidays for my May exams and my maths teacher, who is high up in the school said that we should be revising for every subject now and this was a lot of weeks before the Easter Holidays.

No, I've seen people on here that talk about spending 2 weeks revising for each of their GCSEs... :s-smilie: Not sure if they were trolling or not, but that's very excessive revision for GCSEs!

People say they don't revise. Ever. And then on August the 23rd they get mostly A/A*'s (some full UMS marks).

Why do people do this? It pisses me off. I'm sorry for the exaggeration and swearing but this ALWAYS happens. Just say you revised. What are you gonna lose?

Edit: Note I said people who claim they do not revise AT ALL, not "a bit". And then they get A/A*'s and claim they didn't understand anything. Please.

Hi, I never used to revise per se, but just remembered stuff from lessons etc. I used to get a few A*s mainly As and a few Bs. Now that the exams are close (well started in Easter) I am revising not huge amounts time-wise, but effectively, because i want ALL A*s (tough target i know). So if and when people ask, i will say i didnt spend too much time revising but i knew what worked for me, instead of saying "i didnt revise at all" which was true for every exam before GCSEs
Because It's annoying and frustrating,imagine having people say the exam was so bad and they didn't get anything and that they didn't even revise as well nd then you go on thinking that yeh sure, I revised to I must have gotten a better grade at least. And then BAM! They get their A*'s and you're stuck with your B. Not a good feeling right?
Because It's annoying and frustrating,imagine having people say the exam was so bad and they didn't get anything and that they didn't even revise as well nd then you go on thinking that yeh sure, I revised to I must have gotten a better grade at least. And then BAM! They get their A*'s and you're stuck with your B. Not a good feeling right?

Well, to be fair a lot of people to find it very difficult to gauge how well they did in an exam. Many people additionally only focus on what they did wrong or found hard as opposed to what parts they felt confident with.
Because they're a knob.

inb4 reported.
Reply 94

These are only GCSE's, you didn't really need to revise. Had this been about A-levels I would completely understand.

And results day was on my birthday so... yeah, it went well.
In all honesty for something like maths, if you're good at it then it's perfectly plausible to get an A* with almost no revision (both GCSE and A level).
Some people are genuinely just like that though. My sister literally did nothing for GCSEs and got an A* in everything! For A levels she did very little and got A*s/As in 4 subjects... Why didn't I inherit those genes damn it :tongue:
In addition, I think you're forgetting that some people don't need to revise hugely outside of school, because they absorb the material during classtime.
I dont think that when people say this, its completely untrue.
I found that at GCSE I didn't have to revise at all for the sciences, maths and languages listening and reading exams, but put a lot of effort into geography and English lit and Lang.

It really does depend on the individual. But sometimes, when people say 'i havent revised' they mean 'I've revised but not in comparison to what I could have done'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
It's one of the 48 laws of power init. Making achievements appear effortless.

Latest