The Student Room Group

Geography Edexcel, A2 Unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Morning95
I know exactly what you mean about the focus. Initially, I thought my framework would be based on scale (from local to national to international), because the pre-release material said to use a 'range' of initiatives. But, I'm unsure as to whether I should instead base my framework on effectiveness, so maybe use a range of examples, some of which have been effective and some of which haven't been particularly effective.

What case studies have you decided on so far? I'm planning on doing some detailed research soon.

Why is it you're struggling with the 'varying effectiveness' bit?

Of the top of my head, the case studies that I'm thinking of using are the EU CAP scheme, Fairtrade, GM crops etc.? What case studies have you decided on so far?

what are your initiatives ?
Anyone doing Pollution and Health risks?
Original post by Bulbasaur
OPTION 2: Cold Environments Landscapes and Change

•Explore the range and nature of geomorphological processes operating in glacial environments.

•Research a range of distinctive glacial landforms found in contrasting glacial environments.

Is anyone doing this? It seems rather simple... perhaps too simple.

I am yes!
I'm excited because I agree, it does seem rather simple, and I really enjoy this side of glaciology too!
What case studies are you thinking of using?
Original post by akashiboy95

Yup I am
Original post by Roselyn___x
Yup I am

How you thinking of attempting it? Any case studies in mind? I've been looking at the 2010 paper and its got something really similar
Original post by Mistrykid
I am yes!
I'm excited because I agree, it does seem rather simple, and I really enjoy this side of glaciology too!
What case studies are you thinking of using?

I'm a little confused at whether we need relict case studies or not! I Think I might anyways to show bredth. But 'contrasting glacial environments' implies only current.. so not sure.

I'm not sure what case studies yet - what about you?

I was trying to figure out what sort of questions they might ask but it's actually quite broad. I think i'll ask my teacher about it.
How you thinking of attempting it? Any case studies in mind? I've been looking at the 2010 paper and its got something really similar

Are you talking about june 2010? Because my teacher said that too.
I'm thinking about doing malaria and looking at it from different scales and also Cuba's national health system. I still need to think of more though, what about you? Have your teachers come up with possible questions?
I'm a little confused at whether we need relict case studies or not! I Think I might anyways to show bredth. But 'contrasting glacial environments' implies only current.. so not sure.

I'm not sure what case studies yet - what about you?

I was trying to figure out what sort of questions they might ask but it's actually quite broad. I think i'll ask my teacher about it.

My teacher was saying we should include them. She said we can structure the report either by size, eg ice sheets vs alpine areas (alps) vs odd mountains (kilimanjaro perhaps) or active vs relict. I'm not sure though.
Case studies wise I'm most definitely using Antarctica, I have great info on that, and possibly the Alps too. Lake District probably too, and that's a relict area so I'll include it. I'm also going to include odd areas where landforms are present eg Ireland and New Zealand.

Regarding questions I have a few from my teacher:
- Discuss how different glacial landforms and landscapes can tell us about past processes.
-'Fluvioglacial deposits create more distinctive landforms than glacial deposits'. Discuss.
-'Glacial landforms are more distinct in upland areas than lowland areas'. Discuss.
-'Glaciers mainly erode. Ice sheets mainly deposit'. How far do you agree with this statement?
She said these were all posted on some teachers forum so it must be many teachers just guessing.
Check out the Jan '10 paper though, its a very similar question, pre-release, everything :smile:
Original post by Mistrykid
My teacher was saying we should include them. She said we can structure the report either by size, eg ice sheets vs alpine areas (alps) vs odd mountains (kilimanjaro perhaps) or active vs relict. I'm not sure though.
Case studies wise I'm most definitely using Antarctica, I have great info on that, and possibly the Alps too. Lake District probably too, and that's a relict area so I'll include it. I'm also going to include odd areas where landforms are present eg Ireland and New Zealand.

Regarding questions I have a few from my teacher:
- Discuss how different glacial landforms and landscapes can tell us about past processes.
-'Fluvioglacial deposits create more distinctive landforms than glacial deposits'. Discuss.
-'Glacial landforms are more distinct in upland areas than lowland areas'. Discuss.
-'Glaciers mainly erode. Ice sheets mainly deposit'. How far do you agree with this statement?
She said these were all posted on some teachers forum so it must be many teachers just guessing.
Check out the Jan '10 paper though, its a very similar question, pre-release, everything :smile:

Yeah I was going to do it by process, because obviously that's a huge chunk of the essay; defining and describing the geomorphological processes before debating their distinctiveness or whatever the question is asking (i.e. the analysis and then evaluation bits). I've only done one mock question and that was on periglacial processes so I realised I don't actually have much on glacial landscapes yet XD I suppose I'll have to research some places. It said in the mark scheme for Jan 2010 to 'accept periglacial and fluvioglacial processes associated with glaciers' - so I guess the same applies here.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I think I might go with Northern Canada and a couple of other places.
Yeah I was going to do it by process, because obviously that's a huge chunk of the essay; defining and describing the geomorphological processes before debating their distinctiveness or whatever the question is asking (i.e. the analysis and then evaluation bits). I've only done one mock question and that was on periglacial processes so I realised I don't actually have much on glacial landscapes yet XD I suppose I'll have to research some places. It said in the mark scheme for Jan 2010 to 'accept periglacial and fluvioglacial processes associated with glaciers' - so I guess the same applies here.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I think I might go with Northern Canada and a couple of other places.

ahh yeah by processes is a good way too! haha yeah i've done one on periglacial areas too, and one on management, but nothing on glacial.
no worries :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Samantha1234
what are your initiatives ?

Well, the EU CAP scheme and GM crops, for instance, are initiatives, so I'd just use them as as case studies. What about you?
Are you talking about june 2010? Because my teacher said that too.
I'm thinking about doing malaria and looking at it from different scales and also Cuba's national health system. I still need to think of more though, what about you? Have your teachers come up with possible questions?

Yeah that's the one!.. Hmm yeah I was thinking of having 4 case studies altogether, HIV/AIDS, skin cancer, measles and obesity. That way i cover both pollution and disease. The Cuba healthcare is a good way to start, maybe comparing it up against it's north american neighbours like US? Teachers haven't come up with any questions, we're attempting the June 2010 one.. and then just looking through any aspect of management. What about you?
Yeah that's the one!.. Hmm yeah I was thinking of having 4 case studies altogether, HIV/AIDS, skin cancer, measles and obesity. That way i cover both pollution and disease. The Cuba healthcare is a good way to start, maybe comparing it up against it's north american neighbours like US? Teachers haven't come up with any questions, we're attempting the June 2010 one.. and then just looking through any aspect of management. What about you?

Oh measles is a good idea especially as it's recent. Yeah we've been told to try june 2010 too and we're just compiling a table of our case studies at the moment. My teachers are struggling to think of possible questions, it doesn't seem as obvious as some other past papers have been. We've also had a problem with interpreting 'different management strategies' because countries with different diseases are always going to have different strategies :/
...So what I think I'm going to do is take a case study like HIV etc. in two different locations, contrast the management strategies and explain the factor that has caused them to be different. That's the structure that I have in my head at the moment but I don't know I'm still confused. Is yours similar to that?
Original post by Morning95

Why is it you're struggling with the 'varying effectiveness' bit?

Of the top of my head, the case studies that I'm thinking of using are the EU CAP scheme, Fairtrade, GM crops etc.? What case studies have you decided on so far?

I've got it sorted now! I just misinterpreted it. How many strategies are you using? I'm doing 5: organic farming, GM crops, debt relief, low to intermediate technologies and food policy. Obviously I'll be using case studies for each. I'm literally just deciding now.
Reply 34
Original post by chubbycharms
I've got it sorted now! I just misinterpreted it. How many strategies are you using? I'm doing 5: organic farming, GM crops, debt relief, low to intermediate technologies and food policy. Obviously I'll be using case studies for each. I'm literally just deciding now.

So am I! And I think 5/6 strategies are more than enough really, any more than that will be difficult to fit into an hour and a half. I'm definitely doing organic farming and GM crops, because I've already got quite a few case studies on them, but if you don't mind me asking, what case studies would you use for 'food policy' (for example, would you use the EU CAP scheme and Fairtrade) and 'low and intermediate technologies' (would GM crops not fit under this too?)

I've looked at quite a few relevant examiner's reports, and apart from the case studies and strategies we've already mentioned, the Green Great Wall of China, the Green Revolution and the LEAF organisation have been mentioned too. But, obviously we may not be able to fit everything in!
Oh measles is a good idea especially as it's recent. Yeah we've been told to try june 2010 too and we're just compiling a table of our case studies at the moment. My teachers are struggling to think of possible questions, it doesn't seem as obvious as some other past papers have been. We've also had a problem with interpreting 'different management strategies' because countries with different diseases are always going to have different strategies :/
...So what I think I'm going to do is take a case study like HIV etc. in two different locations, contrast the management strategies and explain the factor that has caused them to be different. That's the structure that I have in my head at the moment but I don't know I'm still confused. Is yours similar to that?

When you say measles, do you mean like the outbreak in the UK at the moment, or is the case study global... We haven't actually learnt anything about measles so I could sound stupid here haha,
Original post by adam17
When you say measles, do you mean like the outbreak in the UK at the moment, or is the case study global... We haven't actually learnt anything about measles so I could sound stupid here haha,

Haha no you don't sound stupid! Yeah I meant the outbreak in the UK, you could still look into it at a global scale but I think the UK case study is better as there's quite a lot of information in the news about how they are tackling it
Reply 37
Hi people doing Life on the margins,
Does anyone know if Fair Trade counts as a strategy? as initiatives such as kuapa kokoo can increase incomes/ equality and thus food security
I'm thinking of doing HYV'S (green rev), Fair trade, GM crops, maybe aquaculture, organic farming is a good idea
Under GM crops are you focusing on a specific countries where they have been used?
If anyone has any tips on structuring/ writing method for the report would be much appreciated,I'm retaking

thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

I am!
Reply 39
Original post by anna may
Hi people doing Life on the margins,
Does anyone know if Fair Trade counts as a strategy? as initiatives such as kuapa kokoo can increase incomes/ equality and thus food security
I'm thinking of doing HYV'S (green rev), Fair trade, GM crops, maybe aquaculture, organic farming is a good idea
Under GM crops are you focusing on a specific countries where they have been used?
If anyone has any tips on structuring/ writing method for the report would be much appreciated,I'm retaking

thanks

I think I'm probably going to do Fairtrade too, by increasing incomes, I think it definitely increases food security. I'm also doing organic farming, GM crops and the Green Revolution. Not as decided about any others yet though.

I think structure is the main concern for a lot of people. I can only think of dividing the report into strategies, but I'm really not sure as to whether this will allow me to reach an effective conclusion. Let me know what you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending