The Student Room Group

Student finance independent status!!! Pls read i know it's an essay but.....

Hey guy,

I'm having some problem with Student Finance. Basically when I was applying for student finance, I was asked to send me some documents to prove I was independent and didn't rely on my mother financially. I sent in sme payslips and JSA letter, but wasn't assess as one because I had to be earning £7,000 a year to be considered as an independent student. They then assessed my application after I filled out a PFF2 form with my mothers details and they decided to pay me £3,149 every 3 months, I started my course in February 2013 and I received my 1st payment on the day I started.

Last month I received a letter to send my mothers tenancy agreement, 3 months bank statement, 2 utility bills. But this letter came a week after my mother kicked me out her house so I went and stayed with my sister.

My little sister came to give me the letter and I asked her to ask my mum for the requested documents and my mum refused to give them to her, so I asked her to sneak them out to me so I can make copies and send it, she did so for me.

I sent this off to the special investigation unit (SIU, where the letter came from). But these documents where not enough because on my mothers tenancy agreement had my fathers name ( not as any of the tenants, but as a witness to the tenancy being signed). They then asked me to send me my father details because my mum is single and they so they didn't understand why he was a witness.

I explained to the them that I do not live with my mother anymore and I didn't know where my father was, but they still insisted I send them his tenancy also.

I couldn't get them his tenancy because I went to his last known address and didn't find him there. I explained this also and so student finance re-assessed my application and their now gonna pay me £1,225 instead. I'm happy I'm getting some money but that is really small because I need to pay a deposit for a studio I found which is £450 and also 1 month rent at £650 and month travel card for £95.

I told my university and they said the government does not give them any funding to give to students. I am really stressed out.

I have just found out that, I could get a letter from my tutor or teacher to say that I was estranged from my mother while I was studying and a letter from the person I am currently living with to say that I have been living with them, then student finance will consider me as an independent student and I will be able to get more money.

Can anyone please tell me if this is true or has been through what I'm going through right now.

SORRY ABOUT THE ESSAY.
Why don't you do a google search o look on DirectGov for information about funding for an estranged student?.

Quick Reply

Latest