The Student Room Group

Washing Hair during period?

My mum and grandma tell me that you shouldn't at all or you'll get cancer later on in life, and periods last for a week so I can't really go without washing hair? And I think that this is actually a very stupid theory. But I find that Asians mostly take this more seriously and their results seem to suggest this, but no research shows correlations from the west medical world. Could it be that biology is different in different races? What do you think?

jojotheflower, meow, over and out

Scroll to see replies

I've never heard that before, it's probably just a crazy superstition? :s-smilie:

I feel really unclean during that time, I'd die if I couldn't shower/bathe.
Reply 2
Also, if you don't make the bed before sleep, you'll die.

And if you get rained on, you'll definitely catch pneumonia.

And if you wear odd socks, you'll spontaneously combust.

etc.
Washing your hair will not do anything to you when you're on your period :s-smilie:
That's the strangest superstition I've ever heard! Your race shouldn't make a difference either!
Reply 4
I've heard people say that you shouldn't have a bath while you've got your period... probably because they think blood will go into your bath water... which it shouldn't- unless it is very heavy. Washing your hair while on your period will not give you cancer.
:lolwut: I have no words
This is stupid, there is ZERO logic to this. You only need a basic knowledge of how cancer works to work this out. If anything, you should wash more during your period. This is complete and utter rubbish, ANY medical professional will tell you that everything you do when you aren't on your period, you can do while you're on aswell.

I don't see how any fair and unbiased research could even come to this conclusion regardless of the culture.

Cancer is mutated cells dividing and growing out of control and dividing and spreading first locally throughout the body. How exactly would washing your hair, on your head during your period, which happens in your reproductive system, cause this? Which cells are being put at risk of mutation here? What sort of cancer are you supposed to be able to get??
(edited 11 years ago)
Wut.
Reply 8
Not washing your hair whilst on your period is a very old wives tale. There is no proof that washing your hair whilst on your period will cause you any harm whatsoever.
Reply 9
Exactly! That's what I keep telling my mum, but she keeps finding these articles for me to read, and there was this thing about not drinking cold things during your period too, which I suppose actually makes kind of sense?

Original post by jojotheflower
My mum and grandma tell me that you shouldn't at all or you'll get cancer later on in life, and periods last for a week so I can't really go without washing hair? And I think that this is actually a very stupid theory. But I find that Asians mostly take this more seriously and their results seem to suggest this, but no research shows correlations from the west medical world. Could it be that biology is different in different races? What do you think?

This is pure superstition with no scientific basis or logic behind it.

Shower away, its much worse to not be clean!
Reply 11
Unless you shower in liquid carcinogens it will make **** all difference.
Exactly! That's what I keep telling my mum, but she keeps finding these articles for me to read, and there was this thing about not drinking cold things during your period too, which I suppose actually makes kind of sense?

find articles to counter theirs
Reply 13
What a load of waffles! It IS just superstition, with terrible reasoning at that. Going by that logic, the post below should also be correct:

Original post by Skip_Snip
Also, if you don't make the bed before sleep, you'll die.

And if you get rained on, you'll definitely catch pneumonia.

And if you wear odd socks, you'll spontaneously combust.

etc.

It has no basis. At all.
Sounds like the theory "if you shower whilst on your period you'll bleed to death". I also heard one about not drinking fizzy drinks, but I can't remember the supposed reason why...
That's ridiculous, take no notice.
Reply 16
thats a hilariously odd opinion to hol i must say... washing hair and cancer? Ludicrous.
Maybe if you washed it in the cooling tank of Sellafield but other than that...
That's bizarre, never heard that one before and I am ridiculously superstitious, the amount of mocking I get from my boyfriend when I only see one magpie.
Reply 18

Classic.
Showering cannot give you cancer...since when did water cause cell mutations...
I spend pretty much 80% of my day in the bath/shower when I'm on my period. I hate the feeling. My hair and skin get greasy much quicker as well, it's horrendous :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending