The Student Room Group

Washing Hair during period?

Scroll to see replies

The **** did I just read? Dear God, please wash.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
This is stupid, there is ZERO logic to this. You only need a basic knowledge of how cancer works to work this out. If anything, you should wash more during your period. This is complete and utter rubbish, ANY medical professional will tell you that everything you do when you aren't on your period, you can do while you're on aswell.

I don't see how any fair and unbiased research could even come to this conclusion regardless of the culture.

Cancer is mutated cells dividing and growing out of control and dividing and spreading first locally throughout the body. How exactly would washing your hair, on your head during your period, which happens in your reproductive system, cause this? Which cells are being put at risk of mutation here? What sort of cancer are you supposed to be able to get??

Thank f*ck for rational voices.
Reply 22
That's the most stupidest thing I have ever heard. I'm Asian and I need to wash my hair and body regularly especially during my period. And no you won't get cancer either. You're supposed to wash yourself more whilst on period anyway including hair.
Original post by jojotheflower
My mum and grandma tell me that you shouldn't at all or you'll get cancer later on in life, and periods last for a week so I can't really go without washing hair? And I think that this is actually a very stupid theory. But I find that Asians mostly take this more seriously and their results seem to suggest this, but no research shows correlations from the west medical world. Could it be that biology is different in different races? What do you think?

jojotheflower, meow, over and out
Reply 23
Calm down, remember, discussion, not attack, :smile:

Reply 24
If anyone is interested, I found the article my mum was talking about, so here goes:
If one is on period and one comes in contact with anything cold (cold drinks, swimming, etc), it will cause less efficient blood flow which means -> blood clots -> tumour -> cancer (sounds a bit far fetched but I guess makes sense in a way?), and then there's an explanation about how you CAN wash your hair but with warm water and dry as soon as possible because there is a lot of blood in your brain etc etc, and can everyone please TRY to be polite?

If anyone is interested, I found the article my mum was talking about, so here goes:
If one is on period and one comes in contact with anything cold (cold drinks, swimming, etc), it will cause less efficient blood flow which means -> blood clots -> tumour -> cancer (sounds a bit far fetched but I guess makes sense in a way?), and then there's an explanation about how you CAN wash your hair but with warm water and dry as soon as possible because there is a lot of blood in your brain etc etc, and can everyone please TRY to be polite?

Could you post a link? or is it a hard copy you've got... I'm really interested in the apparent "logic" behind this.

Could you post a link? or is it a hard copy you've got... I'm really interested in the apparent "logic" behind this. This would suggest that you also shouldn't go out in winter during your period... your body is able to stabilise its temperature when temporarily exposed to cold and I don't see why your period would make a difference... it IS just completely illogical.
Reply 27
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Could you post a link? or is it a hard copy you've got... I'm really interested in the apparent "logic" behind this. This would suggest that you also shouldn't go out in winter during your period... your body is able to stabilise its temperature when temporarily exposed to cold and I don't see why your period would make a difference... it IS just completely illogical.

Well, it's in Chinese :/ I think they mean direct contact with the cold because you wear coats in winter? But I see what you and everyone else means and I know it's completely gibbergobble but I just wanted opinions

Yeah it's some really old chinese superstition. I've heard it from some old chinese woman I somehow spoke to (I don't remember when) but my parents never believed such a thing, and nor would I. Lol

To the OP, if it wasn't your own mother who told you, but some stranger, would you believe them? The answer is no. Mums tell us all sorts of stuff... Like how santa is real, and tooth fairies give you money, but you should have figured out the lack of scientific evidence behind this by now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this a serious question?
Reply 30

How on earth did the process in bold above come about? Less efficient blood flow leading to a tumour? :wtf:
It's farfetched alright.

ash92, lolwut, over and out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
face palm head desk. No showering on your period is simply wet. it will not give you cancer. Knudsons two hit theory does not include soap and water.
Yup its true I did I got it
Reply 33
This is funny!
I concur with your mum and gran; best to let your hair gather grease and dirt during that time of the month, there's limit to the damage inopportune cleanliness can do.

In other news: The colour blue has been found to cure genital warts in tests carried out on beavers.
Reply 35
They are winding you up haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
No this is ridiculous. I'v heard this before. We got a leaflet in primary school about this kind of thing. Myths about periods etc. This was included, and said that you should wash more, as you sweat more etc. One myth busted in this leaflet was that masturbating would give you hairy hands...I've never noticed this problem with any lads a school, college/uni.

About the cold drinks, do what you want. Sometimes I find they help period pains, but wouldn't stop me drinking cold stuff :/
I hate superstitions like this. My mum once had a go at me for cutting my nails on a sunday ...
Original post by Skip_Snip

And if you wear odd socks, you'll spontaneously combust.

Wow!
I feel.. blessed to still be alive :biggrin:
HAHA
But yeah, OP as this comment says - it's probs just superstition
Reply 38
Original post by beckaroo7
No this is ridiculous. I'v heard this before. We got a leaflet in primary school about this kind of thing. Myths about periods etc. This was included, and said that you should wash more, as you sweat more etc. One myth busted in this leaflet was that masturbating would give you hairy hands...I've never noticed this problem with any lads a school, college/uni.

About the cold drinks, do what you want. Sometimes I find they help period pains, but wouldn't stop me drinking cold stuff :/
I hate superstitions like this. My mum once had a go at me for cutting my nails on a sunday ...

Hahaha cutting nails on Sunday? My mum told me not to chew food in front of a mirror!

It's bull****! There is no correlation between any of that!

If by hair you mean pubic hair, then keeping it clean will prevent things like bacteria entering the vagina and causing infections that may lead to something more serious.

if you mean the hair on the top of your head, I'm sorry but I genuinely want to face-palm because that is a silly old-wives tale.

WASH YOUR HAIR. Good personal hygiene will prevent far more diseases than it could potentially cause

Quick Reply

Latest