The Student Room Group

GCHQ

Anyone here working at GCHQ? How much can you tell me about working there? I'm mulling over the idea of working there after a degree in either CompSci or CompSci and Electronics (in year 12 - advance planning ftw).

I know before my Dad married my mum he had security clearance for something - will this affect / help me at all?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by benzeman
Anyone here working at GCHQ? How much can you tell me about working there? I'm mulling over the idea of working there after a degree in either CompSci or CompSci and Electronics (in year 12 - advance planning ftw).

If anyone does work there it is highly unlikely they will identify themselves as doing so, or be prepared to describe what goes on there - the rules are pretty strict about saying anything, including telling people where you work. There is a fair amount of info on the recruitment site.

I know before my Dad married my mum he had security clearance for something - will this affect / help me at all?

no
Reply 2

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Rule number one of thinking about careers in the intelligence services. Don't talk about it. There's plenty of open source information about working in the services - mostly on their own websites.

Also, the fact your dad had security clearance at some point in his life is moot. The background checks are done on you regardless; you're not waived the discomfort because you know a guy...

http://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/

This will tell you pretty much what you need to know.
?................

Original post by Mad Vlad
Rule number one of thinking about careers in the intelligence services. Don't talk about it. There's plenty of open source information about working in the services - mostly on their own websites.

Also, the fact your dad had security clearance at some point in his life is moot. The background checks are done on you regardless; you're not waived the discomfort because you know a guy...

http://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/

This will tell you pretty much what you need to know.

Completely agree to this. Anyone who works for GCHQ and comes across this thread will not divulge to you whether or not they are employed by them. Confidentiality, discretion and not discussing your application with anyone are such big factors during the application process right through to employment.

As Mad Vlad has said I suggest you do some research and thorough reading - this should give you a good insight to GCHQ and their job opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending