The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything! (for prospective architecture students)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aadrl
Hi! I am a prospective AA student and I am looking for accommodation close to the AA. I would like to share a flat with students from this school. If anyone is interested in forming a group to look for an apartment, or anyone has a free room, please write me message and we will get in touch!! cheers! :smile:

Hey there! You'd be far better off creating a new thread in the sub-forum or looking for other AA hopefuls in this year's applicant thread, you'll get far more people reading it :wink:
Reply 21
They did cancel my thread of the AA :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Original post by Architecture-er
Hi Karlo :smile:

The 'best' A-levels to take are Art, Maths, Physics and Geography, which give you a solid base in artistic, technical and social aspects of Architecture. Most universities won't demand A-levels in any of them, though if you don't take Art then there's a high probability that you'll be asked to show a portfolio when other applicants who have taken Art won't.
If you do take the A-levels I've listed above then you might be asked to get an A*/A in some of them, but that doesn't mean you have to take that A-level in the first place. Obviously the more appropriate your A-levels are, the more enthusiastic you'll look, and so you'll be more likely to get an offer.
Instead of Geography/Physics you could take a language, or whatever else you want to do, it's fairly free.

The best architecture schools (in the UK) are probably Cambridge, Bath, The Bartlett (UCL), The Architecture Association (note that the funding for this school is different), and Cardiff.

For first-year reading I would recommend these books by Simon Unwin, "Analyzing Architecture" and "Twenty Buildings Every Architect Should Understand".

For heavier reading I would recommend "Atmospheres" by Peter Zumthor, and "The Ethical Function of Architecture" by Karsten Harries, though these are a bit more complicated to understand if you've not yet started studying architecture or speak English fluently, I didn't understand half of Karsten Harries' book myself :laugh:

Another good option for architecture applicants are the Taschen Basic Architecture books, which are basically biographies of key architects and their work. There's 37(?) of them though, so I'd just look at a few which catch your fancy, perhaps Frank Lloyd Wright, Alvar Aalto, Corbusier, The Bauhaus and Renzo Piano would be considered 'cornerstones' of the early 20th century and the birth of modernism. Since we're technically in the post-modernist era at the moment, doing some reading about the architecture movement before this one might help, but it's also good just to read about their work and have a few names to know a bit about :smile:

OK, ill choose Art, Maths, Physics and Geography then. I ordered the books you recommended. I will come with more questions later :smile: Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Cro_Arch
OK, ill choose Art, Maths, Physics and Geography then. I ordered the books you recommended. I will come with more questions later :smile: Thank you very much :smile:

No problem! :smile:

Just to repeat myself, you don't 'need' to take Geography (you could take a language or something else that interests you if you want) - but when I studied it I learnt a lot about sustainable disaster relief, poverty issues and generally taught me more about the world outside England. So it's useful, but if you reeallly wanted to study a different A-level then you could definitely swap that one out without harming your Architecture application :smile:

Talk soon!
Reply 24
(removed so there's less bulk to this!! :tongue:)

Hopefully, everything going to plan, I should be going to uni at the end of this year to do architecture, I'm both nervous and very excited !! :biggrin: I was just wondering if you had any tips, or could suggest anything i may need/want to take with me ?? :smile:
Original post by Amber_24
Hopefully, everything going to plan, I should be going to uni at the end of this year to do architecture, I'm both nervous and very excited !! :biggrin: I was just wondering if you had any tips, or could suggest anything i may need/want to take with me ?? :smile:

Hey awesome, where are you hoping to study?

If you've got some free time this summer you might find it valuable to phone up local practices and find out if any of them would be willing to have you in the office for free, for a week or so. You could take the time to learn the basics of some of the computer programs, see some current projects, talk to the architects and just generally get yourself a tiny bit of a headstart! Learning new computer programs whilst under the pressure to do your project is quite a pain, so anything you can learn in advance would help you. I was quite good at Sketchup before I started, which was a big help, just don't over-rely on it as a design tool.

You'll be given a reading list once you get accepted onto a course, two from my 1st year reading list which I constantly promote is "20 Buildings Every Architect Should Understand" and "Analyzing Architecture" by Simon Unwin. They're not too pretentious or confusingly-written, and they lay out of the basic principles of space, walls, how spaces can be manipulated to provide certain atmospheres, etc etc.

When you're at university itself, you might want to get together as a year and try to buy a couple of microwaves and kettles from a shop/final year students. Trust me, when you're rushing for a deadline those microwaves meals will be your best friends, especially if you're able to work in studio 24/7 like we are!

You'll also be given an equipment list, just like Harry Potter :awesome: - so there's not much else I could advise.. I'd definitely suggest that you try and grab a good space in studio early on, pin up your name and do a little bit of decorating or something so that people are less likely to kick you out when they all fight for room :lol:

I'd spend as much time working in studio as possible instead of in your room, it'll let you spread out more without cluttering your room to hell, plus it's far more sociable. You'll always get some people who shut themselves away for their projects, but studio-workers get far better grades because they can bounce ideas and take inspiration from each other, plus you'll make some great friends. Of course you can make friends with non-architects, but it can get a bit depressing when you have a deadline whilst they're doing sod-all, and then conversely when you have 2/3 exams and they have 7+ and you're not allowed to bother them! Definitely take the time to get to know your flatmates though, it's really nice to get away from architecture at times, and architecture students are famous for only ever talking about their projects with each other!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Hey awesome, where are you hoping to study?

If you've got some free time this summer you might find it valuable to phone up local practices and find out if any of them would be willing to have you in the office for free, for a week or so. You could take the time to learn the basics of some of the computer programs, see some current projects, talk to the architects and just generally get yourself a tiny bit of a headstart! Learning new computer programs whilst under the pressure to do your project is quite a pain, so anything you can learn in advance would help you. I was quite good at Sketchup before I started, which was a big help, just don't over-rely on it as a design tool.

You'll be given a reading list once you get accepted onto a course, two from my 1st year reading list which I constantly promote is "20 Buildings Every Architect Should Understand" and "Analyzing Architecture" by Simon Unwin. They're not too pretentious or confusingly-written, and they lay out of the basic principles of space, walls, how spaces can be manipulated to provide certain atmospheres, etc etc.

When you're at university itself, you might want to get together as a year and try to buy a couple of microwaves and kettles from a shop/final year students. Trust me, when you're rushing for a deadline those microwaves meals will be your best friends, especially if you're able to work in studio 24/7 like we are!

You'll also be given an equipment list, just like Harry Potter :awesome: - so there's not much else I could advise.. I'd definitely suggest that you try and grab a good space in studio early on, pin up your name and do a little bit of decorating or something so that people are less likely to kick you out when they all fight for room :lol:

I'd spend as much time working in studio as possible instead of in your room, it'll let you spread out more without cluttering your room to hell, plus it's far more sociable. You'll always get some people who shut themselves away for their projects, but studio-workers get far better grades because they can bounce ideas and take inspiration from each other, plus you'll make some great friends. Of course you can make friends with non-architects, but it can get a bit depressing when you have a deadline whilst they're doing sod-all, and then conversely when you have 2/3 exams and they have 7+ and you're not allowed to bother them! Definitely take the time to get to know your flatmates though, it's really nice to get away from architecture at times, and architecture students are famous for only ever talking about their projects with each other!

Thank you so much !! :biggrin:

I have applied to go to Northumbria, with Lincoln as my back up!! When I had my interview at Northumbria they suggested a book to read through ('Archietcture: Form, Space and Order' I think it was) but i'll definitely look into what you suggested also.
Any specific programs ?? I don't think at Northumbria you're expected to do much on the computer in the first year, but it'll still be helpful in the other years/if I don't get in !!

Again thank you so much, I have taken everything in :biggrin: (and will no doubt refer back to this!!)
Reply 27
Note for people new to the TSR forums, if you quote this original post (using the button in the bottom-right) when asking your question then I'll get an alert, it'll mean I see your question far quicker :smile:

Summer exams are looming on the horizon, and there's a distinct smell of caffeine in the air...

Thankfully I'm on placement, and as such have nothing to do in my evenings! Therefore I invite everyone considering architecture / wondering about preparing for first year to AMA, and I'll do my best to help :biggrin:

Can't 'really' offer much in-depth knowledge about universities other than my own, but subject/career specific questions are a-ok. Additionally, if any other Part I/II/III students want their names listed here as sources of uni-specific help, then quote me and I'll add you onto the original post!

Hi,

At uni did you many live projects and were they of any specific use?

Also how much did you spend on materials at uni? just calculating the mountain of debt I'll be in when I leave.
Original post by Amber_24
Thank you so much !! :biggrin:

I have applied to go to Northumbria, with Lincoln as my back up!! When I had my interview at Northumbria they suggested a book to read through ('Archietcture: Form, Space and Order' I think it was) but i'll definitely look into what you suggested also.
Any specific programs ?? I don't think at Northumbria you're expected to do much on the computer in the first year, but it'll still be helpful in the other years/if I don't get in !!

Again thank you so much, I have taken everything in :biggrin: (and will no doubt refer back to this!!)

Well some universities will vary, depending on the background of the tutors, but the core programs for the UK are:
- Sketchup (3d modelling)
- AutoCAD (2d drawing, plans, elevations, sections, detailing etc)
- Photoshop (rendering, collages, photo editing etc)
- InDesign (like microsoft publisher, used for making documents, project brochures).

You can get Sketchup for free, though there is a Pro version which has more advanced features (you wouldn't need these until at least 3rd year). AutoCAD is from Autodesk, you can get a free student license as long as you have a university email address to register with, though it'll have student watermarks along the perimeters of any drawings you convert to pdf, but you can just delete these with Photoshop.

Photoshop and Indesign are both unavailable for free, there's adobe elements but it sucks. I hear that all manner of talented people study at university though, and some will know lots about computer software and tricks and things :ninja:

Another is 3ds Max (also autodesk) - which is a far more complicated 3d modelling program. It's also free for students though, so you could check it out, but sketchup is far more beginner-friendly
Original post by Bowen.
Hi,

At uni did you many live projects and were they of any specific use?

Also how much did you spend on materials at uni? just calculating the mountain of debt I'll be in when I leave.

What do you mean by 'live projects'? Projects with a real-world location?

I probably would spend £20 on consumable materials per project (balsa wood, glue, foamboard etc etc) - and £30-35 on printing (including an A3 brochure of the project, and the print-outs that I do for my final crit). You can obviously spend a lot more if you want to, and it depends on the degree to which your faculty will subsidise your printing costs and so on (our faculty printing costs are probably 1/3 of the price of printing at the local printing shop).

We'd do maybe 4 projects per year, two per semester. As you go further up the degree you'll do larger masterplanning models and use equipment like lazer cutters which may charge you to use, so the costs will generally go up. My final year will be the only one counting to my degree, so I'm going to go pretty nuts and use nice polished hardwood for block models, etc etc.

The hidden cost people don't expect is if you start getting sandwiches and microwave meals for food instead of cooking proper meals, so that can add up if you're spending £3 per processed meal, instead of cooking from cheaper raw foodstuffs that comes to around £1/1.50 per meal. The snacks and drinks can take a hefty bite out of your budget too, but compared to your tuition fees / gym passes and so on it's all pretty negligible.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Hi, I start at CCU Medway Campus on 23rd September 2013 doing the Early Childhood Studies Degree!

I am a mature student, well on paper am 25, I wont be living on Campus, I will be commuting there (a good hours drive but I cant afford to live in halls).

Anyway so I just wondered what to expect in the first week or two? How will it work with regard to freshers week? I am worried I wont really meet new people for 2 reasons, 1 - not living in halls and 2 - not living in halls especially during freshers week....Is this a problem? What are the main days? I was considering maybe booking a local travel lodge for a night or two in the freshers week just because I dont want to miss out and lose the chance to make friends etc

Also my course starts 23rd September, does that mean my lectures will begin that week or? Just wondering how much of the first week or two I will need to attend Uni, as obviously I am having to commute & I do have a part time job too, so just wondered if anybody has any experience to share!

I have already been told my course will provisionally be 2 full days per week so that would be great especially with regard to my p/time job

Any insight etc would be great! I know none of it is concrete or set in stone but I literally have NO idea what to expect lol xxx
Original post by Livi1605
Hi, I start at CCU Medway Campus on 23rd September 2013 doing the Early Childhood Studies Degree!

I am a mature student, well on paper am 25, I wont be living on Campus, I will be commuting there (a good hours drive but I cant afford to live in halls).

Anyway so I just wondered what to expect in the first week or two? How will it work with regard to freshers week? I am worried I wont really meet new people for 2 reasons, 1 - not living in halls and 2 - not living in halls especially during freshers week....Is this a problem? What are the main days? I was considering maybe booking a local travel lodge for a night or two in the freshers week just because I dont want to miss out and lose the chance to make friends etc

Also my course starts 23rd September, does that mean my lectures will begin that week or? Just wondering how much of the first week or two I will need to attend Uni, as obviously I am having to commute & I do have a part time job too, so just wondered if anybody has any experience to share!

I have already been told my course will provisionally be 2 full days per week so that would be great especially with regard to my p/time job

Any insight etc would be great! I know none of it is concrete or set in stone but I literally have NO idea what to expect lol xxx

Hi, I'm afraid this is a sub-forum for architecture applicants, I guess you probably saw this title on the main page :biggrin:

You should probably look for your relevant university's sub-forum, or post under Childhood Studies where you can reach more appropriate students, but thanks for swinging by :wink:
Reply 32

Can't 'really' offer much in-depth knowledge about universities other than my own, but subject/career specific questions are a-ok. Additionally, if any other Part I/II/III students want their names listed here as sources of uni-specific help, then quote me and I'll add you onto the original post!

Hi
I'm a prospective student from India, for Master's in Architecture.
I would like to know how and when can I upload my portfolio.
I wanted to know that should I upload my portfolio with the online application or will I be asked for my portfolio after my application is received?
Or do I have to upload it on some site like flickr or wordpress etc or do I have to mail it?
I've included pencil sketches, aquarells, 3d, pen & charcoal pencil sketches. Should I also include my cad dwgs from office, college??
Please tell me what else can i add to my portfolio.
Please guide me, I'm terrified. :confused::confused:
Original post by dhonezz
Hi
I'm a prospective student from India, for Master's in Architecture.
I would like to know how and when can I upload my portfolio.
I wanted to know that should I upload my portfolio with the online application or will I be asked for my portfolio after my application is received?
Or do I have to upload it on some site like flickr or wordpress etc or do I have to mail it?
I've included pencil sketches, aquarells, 3d, pen & charcoal pencil sketches. Should I also include my cad dwgs from office, college??
Please tell me what else can i add to my portfolio.
Please guide me, I'm terrified. :confused::confused:

Well I'm still only doing my Bachelors in Architecture, not got to Masters yet! This thread is really for people applying as undergraduates, since that's what I've got experience with. You should probably create a fresh thread within the architecture sub-forum, that way other postgraduates can give advice :smile:

About the portfolio, you should really be talking to your universities that you're hoping to study at, and finding out how they want you to send them your work - the applications tutors will want to provide as much help as they can, and since each university will have a different application process there's not really much help I can give :redface:

I think it would be best if you showed as much creative work as possible, as the universities will probably be looking for passionate, creative students who're looking to get the most out of the course and push the boundaries, someone who can draw good cad dwgs won't necessarily be a good architect. Try and show work that gives a 'wow' feeling. Doesn't matter if it's 3d, charcoal or whatever, so long as it shows that you have design skills and a desire to learn and improve
Reply 34
Hey, do you know what computer software are needed/used during the BSC architecture course at Bath and UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pitchy
Hey, do you know what computer software are needed/used during the BSC architecture course at Bath and UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'd definitely get the Adobe Suite (Photoshop & InDesign) - available from all nefarious people near you :wink: To be honest Adobe should have a student version, so pirating it for non-commercial work doesn't exactly twinge my conscience

Then Bath students generally use Sketchup for 3d modelling, and AutoCAD for plans/sections and elevations, in 1st year there's a module on CAD which requires you to show that you can use both of those.

UCL might use something like ArchiCAD & Rhino though, I know some Londoners do but I'm not sure what the uptake is. From looking at job adverts in London I'd say it's probably a 50:50 split between them and the ones above. ArchiCAD is good in that you can model it in 3d and then take some pretty good plans and sections straight from it, like a crude version of Autodesk's Revit, but I've found the Sketchup - AutoCAD combo very easy to pick up and use :smile:

You can get Sketchup basic for free, pro has some advanced tools like being able to import AutoCAD drawings (great for creating your building after doing all the plans) - so you might want to grab that sneakily when you've got a bit better.
You can get a full student version of AutoCAD for free with a UK university email address, all you have to put up with are little watermarks on the fringes of any prints you do, but you can just delete those on photoshop
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36

Hello

Listen,what can you recommend me to read this summer just before my architecture course will be started?
And also,do you have any idea where i can find these cad plans of Mies famous buildings like barcelona pavilion or Villa Tugendhat?
Thank you for your help beforehand.

Original post by Just.Alex

Hello

Listen,what can you recommend me to read this summer just before my architecture course will be started?
And also,do you have any idea where i can find these cad plans of Mies famous buildings like barcelona pavilion or Villa Tugendhat?
Thank you for your help beforehand.

Hey, I replied to your PM as well, but thought that I'd re-post it here in case anyone else wants to see my answer in the future!

A couple of books from my 1st year reading list which I always recommend are "20 Buildings Every Architect Should Understand" and "Analyzing Architecture" - both by Simon Unwin. They're both really good at explaining the basic ideas of space, light, walls and openings, and how you can manipulate the feeling of spaces in these ways. So they're really good if you want a non-complicated and relatable guide to how you could start looking at architecture and.. well... analyzing it!

If you want a couple of books which are a bit more advanced then I'd recommend "Atmospheres" and "Thinking Architecture" by Peter Zumthor, a Swiss architect. Again, these are written without any overcomplicated english, and talk all about material useage and the spiritual/emotional links you can create with architecture. Most 1st year students when asked what materials they're using in their projects don't go much further than "wood", "stone", "brick" - so if you have a greater understanding and could say "I want rough wood because it gives a more personal, handcrafted feeling to the surface", or "long thin bricks with thin mortar joints to emphasise a fast, horizontal movement" then you're already miles ahead of the game

Not too sure about the last one, you might be able to find something in TASCHEN's book on Mies, as part of their famous architects series. They've done around 45 books so far, so there's quite a few modernist/post-modernist architects from around the world that they've studied. Don't know how many detailed plans are in there, though. And I have no idea where you could find actual AutoCAD files of the plans, google might have something
Reply 38
Hello guys,need your help

I am trying to fill all these loan forms for SLC now but as it turned out i have some questions for people who might face with it applying for student loan for architecture course.
So,i am stuck on these two things - course length and tuition fee.

I am not sure about the lenght because SLC tells that Architecture course for the purpose of student support, full-time Part 1 and Part 2 architecture courses are normally treated as a single
course. According to them, the Part 2 course will attract support even if the student is additionally awarded a postgraduate degree (such as M.Arch) as long as the content of Part 2 is undergraduate level and undergraduate fees are charged.

Does this mean that I should fill these forms for full course length which is 5 years (in this case) and,according to this,my full tuition fees should be about £45000 (3*9000 part 1 + 2*9000 part 2) ?

I hope at least someone here can help me to solve this.

Thank you for your help beforehand
Original post by Just.Alex
Hello guys,need your help

I am trying to fill all these loan forms for SLC now but as it turned out i have some questions for people who might face with it applying for student loan for architecture course.
So,i am stuck on these two things - course length and tuition fee.

I am not sure about the lenght because SLC tells that Architecture course for the purpose of student support, full-time Part 1 and Part 2 architecture courses are normally treated as a single
course. According to them, the Part 2 course will attract support even if the student is additionally awarded a postgraduate degree (such as M.Arch) as long as the content of Part 2 is undergraduate level and undergraduate fees are charged.

Does this mean that I should fill these forms for full course length which is 5 years (in this case) and,according to this,my full tuition fees should be about £45000 (3*9000 part 1 + 2*9000 part 2) ?

I hope at least someone here can help me to solve this.

Thank you for your help beforehand

You're probably best creating a new thread in the sub-forum, more people will see it then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending