The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything! (for prospective architecture students)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just another question...Im using a mac book pro right now, will it be fast enough for 3D rendering? or will i need to get those dell M6700 series for 3D work. Just want to know which laptops do recommend to get for uni. Thnx
Reply 41
Original post by Pitchy
Just another question...Im using a mac book pro right now, will it be fast enough for 3D rendering? or will i need to get those dell M6700 series for 3D work. Just want to know which laptops do recommend to get for uni. Thnx

At first,It depends on you Macbook Pro generation. Some people say that 13' is enough but I doubt that.It can take hours to do such things like rendering on them just because of their weak video chips.
If you have 15' macbook pro after 2009 I think there will be no problem,the question is now how much memory do you have. It should be normally no less than 4gb. Glad for us,from 2009 all MacBooks has the official support of 8gb memory chips.

Moreover,I think you should probably install windows as a second OS because on your Mac because as far as i know some Autodesk products for Mac OS are weaker than their PC versions and also some of them don't exist at like 3DS MAX.
Original post by Pitchy

Hmm not sure, I don't have a lot of experience with Macs! What are its specs / can you link me to one online?
Reply 43
Original post by Architecture-er
Hmm not sure, I don't have a lot of experience with Macs! What are its specs / can you link me to one online?

Mac book pro 15 inch
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel core 2 Duo
Memory:4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Do you have any suggestion on other computer models which operates window? I've heard of Dell M4700 and M6700 series, and Lenovo W350.
Original post by Pitchy

I thing you need to remember that its the quality of the idea above all. Don't get too hung up on the idea of trying to produce Hayes Davidson style graphics at university - photo-realistic renders etc. I'd advise you to keep it pared-down and not even be thinking about if your laptop is 'man enough' to grind out complex renders. People get carried away with this stuff, you can end up losing sight of what you should be doing. I think clay / white volumetric renders are often the best approach - minimal clutter of materials. Quick to render, convey the message. Leaves you more time to make a physical model which is what your tutors / critics will want to look at.
Original post by Pitchy
Mac book pro 15 inch
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel core 2 Duo
Memory:4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Do you have any suggestion on other computer models which operates window? I've heard of Dell M4700 and M6700 series, and Lenovo W350.

Hmm, those are fairly similar specs to my laptop, same processor and RAM - though my graphics card is 512MB.

I'd say you're due an upgrade, and you'd have to upgrade before the end of your course.. I'm only still using my laptop because I recently built myself a desktop PC, which can do all my heavy work like renders and photoshop work.. leaving my laptop to just do basic stuff in studio like sketchup modelling and autocad.

It really depends on your budget, you could get one of the latest maxwell processor laptops, which haven't improved much in CPU power but have far superior onboard graphics chips - but if you're spending a lot on a laptop it'll come with a dedicated graphics card, making the new processor almost redundant compared to the previous Ivy Bridge set.

If you ballpark an i5 processor and 6GB RAM you should find laptops that sit in the medium range - and should do you fine for the next 4/5 years. But then it comes down to future-proofing, if you spend more now it'll take longer before you have to buy a new machine, but then again a cheaper one now might be what you need, to tide you over until you can splash out on a proper desktop for your Part II
Original post by jrhartley
I thing you need to remember that its the quality of the idea above all. Don't get too hung up on the idea of trying to produce Hayes Davidson style graphics at university - photo-realistic renders etc. I'd advise you to keep it pared-down and not even be thinking about if your laptop is 'man enough' to grind out complex renders. People get carried away with this stuff, you can end up losing sight of what you should be doing. I think clay / white volumetric renders are often the best approach - minimal clutter of materials. Quick to render, convey the message. Leaves you more time to make a physical model which is what your tutors / critics will want to look at.

Maybe in 1st/2nd year.. I know 3d visuals are essential in our final year projects, to convey the atmosphere and lighting of the building. Physical models are important too - but producing a few really good "sell" images are really important

edit: ok, having seen their website I agree that that would be a little ott, but I think clay renders are a bit too sterile for students looking to push themselves
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
try going to pcspealist.com
Reply 48
Hi, I'm an incoming a2 this September and I want to apply for an Architectural degree for 2014. I took Arts, Maths and Physics for my AS. My Art's pretty strong, so I don't worry about it much. I love math, but I think I pretty failed M1 and lastly, I'm quite an average to below average Physics students but I shall pass it maybe with a C or a low B (hopefully). I've been into university at my country and i've done 2 out of 5 years of architecture. In the end I dropped it to come and study here. I'm 19 and by the time i'll be applying i'll be 20. One of my parent's friend says it's going to be a lot different in here. As I've done 90% of my designs in a drafting board with a pencil and technical pen (10% in sketchup) - which clearly shows that I'll have difficulty to cope up with it. Do you think, I should put into my personal statement that I have done it before or not? And since I've been here for 2 years now to start again from GCSE (then AS), i haven't focused much into architecture aside to using it as a topic in my Art courseworks, etc. I've been thinking of Westminster, Oxford Brookes, UCL, GSA, Northumbria and Stratchlyde. What can you advice to me aside from my PS - about choice of uni and other things? thank you
Reply 49
Note for people new to the TSR forums, if you quote this original post (using the button in the bottom-right) when asking your question then I'll get an alert, it'll mean I see your question far quicker :smile:

Summer exams are looming on the horizon, and there's a distinct smell of caffeine in the air...

Thankfully I'm on placement, and as such have nothing to do in my evenings! Therefore I invite everyone considering architecture and wondering about preparing for first year to AMA, and I'll do my best to help :biggrin:

Can't 'really' offer much in-depth knowledge about universities other than my own, but subject/career specific questions are a-ok. Additionally, if any other Part I/II/III students want their names listed here as sources of uni-specific help, then quote me and I'll add you onto the original post!

Hi, I've just withdrawn from civil engineering at bristol uni, and have decided to take a year out and apply for architecture for entry in 2014. I took Maths, Physics, English and Spanish at A-Level and achieved A*BAA respectively.

My question is about the Art A-level that many universities require. I feel like i'm at a disadvantage (even though i've done art at GCSE, that was a long time ago and i have a feeling my college binned all my artwork...). where would i start regarding a portfolio?

Also what are my chances of getting into UCL without an art a-level (which they say they require)

any help would be much appreciated!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by archcct09
Hi, I'm an incoming a2 this September and I want to apply for an Architectural degree for 2014. I took Arts, Maths and Physics for my AS. My Art's pretty strong, so I don't worry about it much. I love math, but I think I pretty failed M1 and lastly, I'm quite an average to below average Physics students but I shall pass it maybe with a C or a low B (hopefully). I've been into university at my country and i've done 2 out of 5 years of architecture. In the end I dropped it to come and study here. I'm 19 and by the time i'll be applying i'll be 20. One of my parent's friend says it's going to be a lot different in here. As I've done 90% of my designs in a drafting board with a pencil and technical pen (10% in sketchup) - which clearly shows that I'll have difficulty to cope up with it. Do you think, I should put into my personal statement that I have done it before or not? And since I've been here for 2 years now to start again from GCSE (then AS), i haven't focused much into architecture aside to using it as a topic in my Art courseworks, etc. I've been thinking of Westminster, Oxford Brookes, UCL, GSA, Northumbria and Stratchlyde. What can you advice to me aside from my PS - about choice of uni and other things? thank you

Hey there :smile:

Just to make sure I understand properly, have you:

- Done 2 years of an architecture degree in your home country
- then you came to the UK to do your GCSEs
- then you've just finished your AS grades

- then you're doing your A2 grades next academic year (Sep. 2013 - June 2014)
- and then you're applying to the universities listed below?

I'm just slightly confused because that would mean that you started university when you were 15 years old?
Original post by bjaman
Hi, I've just withdrawn from civil engineering at bristol uni, and have decided to take a year out and apply for architecture for entry in 2014. I took Maths, Physics, English and Spanish at A-Level and achieved A*BAA respectively.

My question is about the Art A-level that many universities require. I feel like i'm at a disadvantage (even though i've done art at GCSE, that was a long time ago and i have a feeling my college binned all my artwork...). where would i start regarding a portfolio?

Also what are my chances of getting into UCL without an art a-level (which they say they require)

any help would be much appreciated!

When I was applying for my degree we were always told that althought most universities will say that Art A-level is required, it's really just asked for in order to prove your artistic ability. So in the absence of an Art A-level a candidate will be asked to submit a portfolio instead, to prove that they can draw, present ideas in a variety of mediums, as well as having a creative mind. When unsure, it's always best to call up the admissions tutor for the faculty at the university, then you can get a black and white answer without any risk, so I'd definitely double-check that in case they've changed their policy recently :biggrin:
I'm not sure when you'd have to submit a portfolio, presumably when you start your UCAS applications (before you get any conditional offers or getting any interview invitations) - but I'm not 100% sure

A good portfolio will demonstrate a variety of skills and subjects, 10 pages of highly precise pencil sketches of cityscapes might look fantastic but won't be what they're looking for. So try to get some highly technical drawings, some landscapes, some freehand collages (maybe using various mediums like chalk, charcoal, inks, pencil, pens), some portraiture, whatever takes your fancy!
For example you could do a big spread of a study of nature, so you could start on the macro scale with a landscape painting, then fit in some charcoal studies of twigs, bark and the like, and then some studies on plant cells using ink and pencil, all tied together onto a couple of A2/3 pages. If you're good with your hands you could go into some local woods and try weaving willow branches to make a sort of cocoon in a tree or a fake web spanning between two branches, take photos and free-hand sketch it, you get the idea.

It's smart to play to your strengths, so if you're fantastic at portraiture then you would obviously be better off making more of that than other things, just try to show your strengths whilst keeping variety and imagination :biggrin:

Feel free to ask any more questions, and I'll be glad to give tips on your portfolio when you're putting it together, I've helped out a few other people on here with theirs :smile:
Reply 52
Hi, I've just obtained the requirements for Bath undergraduate Bsc Architecture. I just want to know when's the best time to arrive at the campus, and what to I have to prepare for the course (books/stationary,etc). And just one last question, what classes do we have in the first year, and do we have actual exams? or is it just the portfolio? Thank you.
Original post by Pitchy
Hi, I've just obtained the requirements for Bath undergraduate Bsc Architecture. I just want to know when's the best time to arrive at the campus, and what to I have to prepare for the course (books/stationary,etc). And just one last question, what classes do we have in the first year, and do we have actual exams? or is it just the portfolio? Thank you.

:woo: congratulations!!!!

I'll PM you to avoid derailing the thread with Bath-specific stuff :biggrin:
Reply 54
Note for people new to the TSR forums, if you quote this original post (using the button in the bottom-right) when asking your question then I'll get an alert, it'll mean I see your question far quicker :smile:

Summer exams are looming on the horizon, and there's a distinct smell of caffeine in the air...

Thankfully I'm on placement, and as such have nothing to do in my evenings! Therefore I invite everyone considering architecture and wondering about preparing for first year to AMA, and I'll do my best to help :biggrin:

Can't 'really' offer much in-depth knowledge about universities other than my own, but subject/career specific questions are a-ok. Additionally, if any other Part I/II/III students want their names listed here as sources of uni-specific help, then quote me and I'll add you onto the original post!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've not typed a question, or your mobile app has had some sort of error :wink:
Reply 56
Hey there :smile:

Just to make sure I understand properly, have you:

- Done 2 years of an architecture degree in your home country
- then you came to the UK to do your GCSEs
- then you've just finished your AS grades

- then you're doing your A2 grades next academic year (Sep. 2013 - June 2014)
- and then you're applying to the universities listed below?

I'm just slightly confused because that would mean that you started university when you were 15 years old?

yup, you got it. and now i'm confused where to apply for as well because of my AS grades. I had

art and design - a
maths - b
physics - d

I can resit in June 2014 this A2 for maths and confident to get A* in arts and A* - A in maths since my only problem is M1 but i don't think i can make that d into A for physics, mostly i'm confident to get a B... which pulls down my choices of universities.
I'm thinking of UCL but they requre one more AS and a gcse of a modern foreign language which will be give me loads of exams to do on June next year... so should i push it to UCL or make choices that has AAB for offers? (because mostly they require A*AA - it would be weird if I get A*AB or A*AC) I'm so confused right now and my i'm not happy with my eye catching D as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by archcct09
yup, you got it. and now i'm confused where to apply for as well because of my AS grades. I had

art and design - a
maths - b
physics - d

I can resit in June 2014 this A2 for maths and confident to get A* in arts and A* - A in maths since my only problem is M1 but i don't think i can make that d into A for physics, mostly i'm confident to get a B... which pulls down my choices of universities.
I'm thinking of UCL but they requre one more AS and a gcse of a modern foreign language which will be give me loads of exams to do on June next year... so should i push it to UCL or make choices that has AAB for offers? (because mostly they require A*AA - it would be weird if I get A*AB or A*AC) I'm so confused right now and my i'm not happy with my eye catching D as well.

Hmm, well UCL asks for a minimum of AAB according to their website, with a further pass at AS level (not hard). They ask for a GCSE at grade C in English and Maths if you're a UK-based student. You might want to phone their admissions department and find out if you count as a UK-based student or not, since you've been here for a relatively short period of time. If your English isn't as good as a native speaker then obviously getting a C in GCSE English will be harder for you, that's why they want English students to have a foreign language as well.

I can't really say what you should do, because you'll have a far better idea of what you're capable of achieving. It's tricky, because since you're so good at Maths you should be good at Physics as well, or at least not bad at it.. maybe if you just had a couple of modules that you did really badly in then I'd try resitting those with the help of a private tutor and bump my grade up to an A, can't you resit some modules in the winter to help spread the exams out? When I did Art we didn't have any exams, so I only had 2 exams in my final A2 summer? So I could've easily fitted in several resits (some people take 5-7 exams!)

So I'd attempt these options, in order of preference. If you don't think that you're capable of achieving one, then drop to the next option, etc etc. But ultimately it comes down to what you think you can achieve, and trying your hardest. Ultimately any student is capable of getting whatever grades they want if they try their hardest, it's not physically impossible to learn all the stuff that's needed. But anyway, my choice would be:
- raising my physics to an A
if not, then..
- checking with the Bartlett about their entry requirements and applying for them with the hope of getting A*AB
if not, then..
- forgetting the Bartlett entry requirements and just applying to other universities with AAB or ABB offers
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
When I was applying for my degree we were always told that althought most universities will say that Art A-level is required, it's really just asked for in order to prove your artistic ability. So in the absence of an Art A-level a candidate will be asked to submit a portfolio instead, to prove that they can draw, present ideas in a variety of mediums, as well as having a creative mind. When unsure, it's always best to call up the admissions tutor for the faculty at the university, then you can get a black and white answer without any risk, so I'd definitely double-check that in case they've changed their policy recently :biggrin:
I'm not sure when you'd have to submit a portfolio, presumably when you start your UCAS applications (before you get any conditional offers or getting any interview invitations) - but I'm not 100% sure

A good portfolio will demonstrate a variety of skills and subjects, 10 pages of highly precise pencil sketches of cityscapes might look fantastic but won't be what they're looking for. So try to get some highly technical drawings, some landscapes, some freehand collages (maybe using various mediums like chalk, charcoal, inks, pencil, pens), some portraiture, whatever takes your fancy!
For example you could do a big spread of a study of nature, so you could start on the macro scale with a landscape painting, then fit in some charcoal studies of twigs, bark and the like, and then some studies on plant cells using ink and pencil, all tied together onto a couple of A2/3 pages. If you're good with your hands you could go into some local woods and try weaving willow branches to make a sort of cocoon in a tree or a fake web spanning between two branches, take photos and free-hand sketch it, you get the idea.

It's smart to play to your strengths, so if you're fantastic at portraiture then you would obviously be better off making more of that than other things, just try to show your strengths whilst keeping variety and imagination :biggrin:

Feel free to ask any more questions, and I'll be glad to give tips on your portfolio when you're putting it together, I've helped out a few other people on here with theirs :smile:

Thanks, really helped!

I've decided to enrol on an art foundation course, I feel like it will be a help while I get a portfolio ready for application
Original post by bjaman
Thanks, really helped!

I've decided to enrol on an art foundation course, I feel like it will be a help while I get a portfolio ready for application

Ok good luck :smile: - are you going to be doing that alongside your A-levels then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending