The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything! (for prospective architecture students)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Architecture-er
Ok good luck :smile: - are you going to be doing that alongside your A-levels then?

Thanks. No, I have my A-levels already
Reply 61
Note for people new to the TSR forums, if you quote this original post (using the button in the bottom-right) when asking your question then I'll get an alert, it'll mean I see your question far quicker :smile:

Summer exams are looming on the horizon, and there's a distinct smell of caffeine in the air...

Thankfully I'm on placement, and as such have nothing to do in my evenings! Therefore I invite everyone considering architecture and wondering about preparing for first year to AMA, and I'll do my best to help :biggrin:

Can't 'really' offer much in-depth knowledge about universities other than my own, but subject/career specific questions are a-ok. Additionally, if any other Part I/II/III students want their names listed here as sources of uni-specific help, then quote me and I'll add you onto the original post!

Hi there. I will start Architecture course this September and have got a list of equipment and materials. I think they will be more or less the same in any university. Which are essential to buy and which you don't touch at all during the course (if there is any)?

Original post by bjaman
Thanks. No, I have my A-levels already

Ah I see, well if you think that you'll need that extra year then go for it, make sure that it'll be giving you what you need, though :smile:
Original post by deistra13
Hi there. I will start Architecture course this September and have got a list of equipment and materials. I think they will be more or less the same in any university. Which are essential to buy and which you don't touch at all during the course (if there is any)?

In reality you don't need any of the hand-drafting bits of equipment (drafting pens, bendy rulers, compass) since you'll end up doing most of the technical work on the computer and any physical drawings will be freehand sketches and so on. But if they've asked you to get them on the equipment list then there's a high probability that they'll be forcing you to use the older methods in some 1st year projects, just to teach you how to use them and to discourage you from getting onto the computer too early. When designing it's best to do as much of the design work on paper so that you don't get blinkered, ideas can be more fluid if you've just scribbled lines, instead of drawing them meticulously on AutoCAD.

But you'll be using most of the stuff, cutting boards, set square, scale rulers, steel cutting ruler, scalpels (some uni's ask for a surgical scalpel, you're best getting a stanley knife like the one below as well because the thicker handle is more comfortable, and you can easily break each blade segment off as it gets blunt. Then use the surgical scalpel for really precise stuff, and the stanley knife for cutting wood/card/cardboard etc)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
Note for people new to the TSR forums, if you quote this original post (using the button in the bottom-right) when asking your question then I'll get an alert, it'll mean I see your question far quicker :smile:

Summer exams are looming on the horizon, and there's a distinct smell of caffeine in the air...

Thankfully I'm on placement, and as such have nothing to do in my evenings! Therefore I invite everyone considering architecture and wondering about preparing for first year to AMA, and I'll do my best to help :biggrin:

Can't 'really' offer much in-depth knowledge about universities other than my own, but subject/career specific questions are a-ok. Additionally, if any other Part I/II/III students want their names listed here as sources of uni-specific help, then quote me and I'll add you onto the original post!

HI
Im an international student and i recently got offers for the part II course into brighton and lincoln. Also still waiting on uwe. Ive done all the research needed on all these schools but still can make up my mind in terms of level of design involved during the course, course reputation and graduate prospects. Generally i would want to do a lot of ACTUAL design and would appreciate any help on which would be the best choice. PLUS IM STARTING SEPTEMBER SO WOULD LIKE ANY ADVICE ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
In reality you don't need any of the hand-drafting bits of equipment (drafting pens, bendy rulers, compass) since you'll end up doing most of the technical work on the computer and any physical drawings will be freehand sketches and so on. But if they've asked you to get them on the equipment list then there's a high probability that they'll be forcing you to use the older methods in some 1st year projects, just to teach you how to use them and to discourage you from getting onto the computer too early. When designing it's best to do as much of the design work on paper so that you don't get blinkered, ideas can be more fluid if you've just scribbled lines, instead of drawing them meticulously on AutoCAD.

But you'll be using most of the stuff, cutting boards, set square, scale rulers, steel cutting ruler, scalpels (some uni's ask for a surgical scalpel, you're best getting a stanley knife like the one below as well because the thicker handle is more comfortable, and you can easily break each blade segment off as it gets blunt. Then use the surgical scalpel for really precise stuff, and the stanley knife for cutting wood/card/cardboard etc)
http://www.neon-dreams.org.uk/gallery_image/image/14/medium/knife.jpg

I think I better buy the equipments once I got there then. If the drawing tools are just going to be used for first year, maybe I can get second-hand from someone in year 2 or 3 then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deistra13
I think I better buy the equipments once I got there then. If the drawing tools are just going to be used for first year, maybe I can get second-hand from someone in year 2 or 3 then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea, there should be people putting adverts up in the faculty for bits and pieces, and you can always buy them from Amazon or a stationary shop in town otherwise :smile:
Original post by Bolej
HI
Im an international student and i recently got offers for the part II course into brighton and lincoln. Also still waiting on uwe. Ive done all the research needed on all these schools but still can make up my mind in terms of level of design involved during the course, course reputation and graduate prospects. Generally i would want to do a lot of ACTUAL design and would appreciate any help on which would be the best choice. PLUS IM STARTING SEPTEMBER SO WOULD LIKE ANY ADVICE ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, well I can't give too much advice on Part II studies I'm afraid, I'm just about to finish my final year of Part I and this thread is mainly aimed at people hoping/considering studying architecture, not those already part-way through.. Additionally I've not looked at studying at any of those universities. Having said that, I'll try and give what help I can, though

To compare universities I'd recommend Unistats, which allows you to compare official course data for multiple universities, including graduate prospects and the like. I believe that you can only search for the undergrad courses since they're exclusively taught (instead of Masters which can either be taught or research-based, which makes them uncomparable). However they'll give you a good idea about which are the better universities. Bear in mind, though, that with Part II courses a lot of it is down to picking the right course for your interests, not necessarily the 'best' one.

I'd get the prospectuses for each university if you haven't already, you can ask them to be mailed to you, maybe you can get digital versions so you don't have to wait for delivery. Look up the courses on the universities' websites, see what they'll be teaching you.. to be honest you've left this very late, haven't they asked you to make your decisions already?

I know the Bath/Bristol area has a high concentration of good architecture practices, because of the multiplier effect due to the University of Bath's architecture faculty and its sandwich course structure and tendancy to invite a lot of guest critics to the project crits, which also acts as a sort of headhunting opportunity. So UWE might benefit from that, but equally it might be that all the architects just go to Bath and ignore Bristol, I really don't know :dontknow:

You might benefit from creating a new thread in this sub-forum, that way you might get some Part II students seeing your question. The majority of people looking in this thread will be people pre-Part I, so making a new thread might get you some more visibility :wink:
Reply 68
Hey, I'm looking to apply to Bath, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Sheffield for Architecture and was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to write in my personal statement and what I should include in my portfolio. I do Maths, Physics & Graphic Communication at A level and I've also had two weeks working in a local architecture practice over the summer.

Also, for the course itself would I be better off suited to a laptop, a desktop or both? I was planning on getting a 15" Macbook, but after looking at some other threads I got the impression that I may be better off suited to a desktop.
(edited 10 years ago)
O wise one, having just received an equipment list and shed tears of student finance woes, are Rotring pens worth it, or are there good alternatives out there? Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 70
Hmm, well I can't give too much advice on Part II studies I'm afraid, I'm just about to finish my final year of Part I and this thread is mainly aimed at people hoping/considering studying architecture, not those already part-way through.. Additionally I've not looked at studying at any of those universities. Having said that, I'll try and give what help I can, though

To compare universities I'd recommend Unistats, which allows you to compare official course data for multiple universities, including graduate prospects and the like. I believe that you can only search for the undergrad courses since they're exclusively taught (instead of Masters which can either be taught or research-based, which makes them uncomparable). However they'll give you a good idea about which are the better universities. Bear in mind, though, that with Part II courses a lot of it is down to picking the right course for your interests, not necessarily the 'best' one.

I'd get the prospectuses for each university if you haven't already, you can ask them to be mailed to you, maybe you can get digital versions so you don't have to wait for delivery. Look up the courses on the universities' websites, see what they'll be teaching you.. to be honest you've left this very late, haven't they asked you to make your decisions already?

I know the Bath/Bristol area has a high concentration of good architecture practices, because of the multiplier effect due to the University of Bath's architecture faculty and its sandwich course structure and tendancy to invite a lot of guest critics to the project crits, which also acts as a sort of headhunting opportunity. So UWE might benefit from that, but equally it might be that all the architects just go to Bath and ignore Bristol, I really don't know :dontknow:

You might benefit from creating a new thread in this sub-forum, that way you might get some Part II students seeing your question. The majority of people looking in this thread will be people pre-Part I, so making a new thread might get you some more visibility :wink:

Thanks! I had actually chosen to go to brighton seeing as uwe hasnt gotten gotten back to me. But ive been told uwe sorta has a better reputation than brighton. And going over the course info and student work at brighton, it seems it would be more of a research course. Plus student designs seem a bit abstract which is not what im used to (coming from nigeria) . Thanks for the advice though :smile: will try to get some more advice on a new thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ContemporaryTales
O wise one, having just received an equipment list and shed tears of student finance woes, are Rotring pens worth it, or are there good alternatives out there? Thanks in advance :smile:

O contemporary one, I have no idea. I purchased mine many moons ago, whereupon I used them but on three occasions and then banished them to under my bed, on the premise that they were slow and made my fingers inky :p:

Basically I have no idea, I'm sure you could get by with a cheaper brand but you'll save maybe £10? Compared to your uni fees that's not much, so you might as well get a Rotring set, at least then you're less likely to have the pen explode and soak your perfect drawing in ink after 6 hours of painstaking drafting work :biggrin:

Get three sizes, maybe a 0.1, 0.2 and 0.5mm set, or a 0.25, 0.35, 0.5mm set. Chances are you'll be using AutoCAD or something similar by 2nd year anyway, but you might as well go quality for a little more money
O contemporary one, I have no idea. I purchased mine many moons ago, whereupon I used them but on three occasions and then banished them to under my bed, on the premise that they were slow and made my fingers inky :p:

Basically I have no idea, I'm sure you could get by with a cheaper brand but you'll save maybe £10? Compared to your uni fees that's not much, so you might as well get a Rotring set, at least then you're less likely to have the pen explode and soak your perfect drawing in ink after 6 hours of painstaking drafting work :biggrin:

Get three sizes, maybe a 0.1, 0.2 and 0.5mm set, or a 0.25, 0.35, 0.5mm set. Chances are you'll be using AutoCAD or something similar by 2nd year anyway, but you might as well go quality for a little more money

I'll go for Rotring and maybe invest in some bleach to clean my fingers :P And also maybe for the paper when (if?) it explodes. Thanks for the advice :smile:

You wouldn't have happen to read Architecture: Form, Space, and Order (Ching) by any chance would you? It's a potential buy on the reading list but it's 448 pages (although my alternative buy is 424...)

P.S. "Compared to your uni fees." Burn. :P
Original post by ContemporaryTales
I'll go for Rotring and maybe invest in some bleach to clean my fingers :P And also maybe for the paper when (if?) it explodes. Thanks for the advice :smile:

You wouldn't have happen to read Architecture: Form, Space, and Order (Ching) by any chance would you? It's a potential buy on the reading list but it's 448 pages (although my alternative buy is 424...)

P.S. "Compared to your uni fees." Burn. :P

Hmm, no I haven't, it looks pretty interesting though!

Not too expensive for its size, you could look up both books on the university library's catalogue and see which are stocked there.. that way if one isn't available then you could buy that, and then you can end up reading both :dontknow:

Just looked at De Montfort's library (I'm on placement in leicester so I'm helping myself to their architecture books) and they have 9 copies of the 3rd edition, and some more of the 1st and 2nd editions :lolwut: - so I'd hazard that it's a fairly appreciated book! Might go and pick one up tomorrow :colone:
Original post by Arketec
Im' thinking of applying to study architecture, I'm doing as at the moment Art, History, Maths and Physics. I'm not very strong in maths and my physics is pretty hopeless. Do I need to be good at maths and physics? I love art and history. Can I still do architecture?

I know I'm hijacking this thread here (sorry architecture-er) just wanted to add the point that most of the unis I looked at when i was applying for 2010 seemed to encourage you away from the traditional Art,Physics, Maths combo. Although Art was always a compulsory generally, even that you could get away with not doing. I distinctly remembered that at Sheffield uni they said "if your doing French! We'd love to have you. We never get any with those Alevels". I'm assuming that because it's such a creative course they'd rather you come with your own interests and they like to pick a range to foster a rich hub of ideas in studios which they would never do if they rigidly dictated Alevel subjects.

At Nottingham, you did not even require art (although that was an advantage). Those with art Alevels did not require portfolios as they assumed that with an A in art you could draw but those without handed in a folio of work and I know quite a few that got in with that.

Personally at uni of Nottingham, I can honestly say I never once used physics or higher than GCSE Maths. We never did any physics beyond knowing the concept of moment (didn't need to calculate them) and all the Maths I needed was how to swap round algebraic equations and substitute numbers in. Hand on heart the most usefull Alevel I did other than Art of course was History. The reason being because they asked you to write a lot of essays and History/English/Geography teaches you that. (if you ask in open days what they like to see usually theyll mention these for that reason). History teaches you how to formulate an argument with evidence which is the basis of any essay Nottinghham Part 1 asked you to do and as a result I found them a lot easier than the vast majority of people who would take 4x as long to write a paper than I did.

In short, it all depends on the uni but generally architecture schools like to see a good mix of subjects with essay subjects being an advantage on a personal level only. The core subject for architecture is studio which relies on your creativity, inspiration and ability to create a good concept which generally speaking is not helped by any one subject hence why schools are so open minded about subjects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scribbled

Not at all! The more insights to people's questions, the better :borat:
Original post by SJB96
Hey, I'm looking to apply to Bath, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Sheffield for Architecture and was wondering if you could give me some advice on what to write in my personal statement and what I should include in my portfolio. I do Maths, Physics & Graphic Communication at A level and I've also had two weeks working in a local architecture practice over the summer.

Also, for the course itself would I be better off suited to a laptop, a desktop or both? I was planning on getting a 15" Macbook, but after looking at some other threads I got the impression that I may be better off suited to a desktop.

Hmm, for your personal statement I'd try and include a variety of stuff, mentioning:

- Why you want to study architecture

- Stuff you've done that drew you towards wanting to study architecture/what you've been doing to prepare yourself for studying architecture

- Extra-curricular and how its improved personal skills, for example being captain of a sports team teaches people management (for when you have someone benched for an entire game and keep them happy), the ability to make decisions under pressure etc etc. Or being in a debating society, and how that's helped you be a very confident public speaker... you get the idea

Whatever you do, always tie it back to your main point, why you'd be a great architecture student. Keep things fairly punchy and don't be long-winded, its better to get ~5 solid points which strengthen your character profile (and demonstrate your ability to be concise) instead of 2 very wordy examples.

For your portfolio just showcase a variety of subjects and mediums, don't fill it with observational sketches of buildings, try and show off creativity and artistic competency. You could have photograph collages of sculptures and studies as well as actual painting/drawing

If you have to get one or the other, a laptop is the better option, because then you can work in studio, work with your friends, enjoy a stronger working atmosphere and bounce ideas off of each other. However a desktop always provides better value for money because they don't have to pour money into making things ultra-small. So the optimum for 3rd years with complex projects is a powerful desktop with a less-powerful laptop for the day-to-day studio work. Then they stay at home for a few days each week to do the big graphics work / rendering etc.
You're probably best off just buying a good laptop for now, it'll easily get you through 3 years of university without getting outmoded. Then later on during your Masters course you can buy a desktop for the extra computing power :dontknow:
Reply 77

I've done a lot of research on what to include in a portfolio to apply for architecture, but I am still confused about the interview processes as the university websites are vague.
Do all architectural universities require interviews? Could you explain to me the process, such as questions, how to prepare etc.?
Thank you very much for this forum.
Original post by NinjaTS
I've done a lot of research on what to include in a portfolio to apply for architecture, but I am still confused about the interview processes as the university websites are vague.
Do all architectural universities require interviews? Could you explain to me the process, such as questions, how to prepare etc.?
Thank you very much for this forum thread.

In terms of portfolios, all universities will require proof of artistic ability, either from an Art A-level, an Art foundation course or a portfolio. So if you don't have either of the Art courses, you'll have to submit a portfolio to prove that you can draw, even if the university doesn't ask every applicant for one. Bath for example doesn't ask for portfolios or interviews, but if you applied without an artistic subject then you'd have to submit a portfolio as part of your initial application.

Interviews aren't mandatory, I applied to Cambridge, Bath, Nottingham, Sheffield and Kent, only Sheffield and Kent asked for submitted portfolios and Cambridge asked me to bring a portfolio as part of my interview.

Not all universities will require interviews, only 1/5 of mine did. Unfortunately that means I don't know much about the 'standard' interviews at architecture schools, since Cambridge interviews are often put in a class of their own.

An important thing to note is that since architecture isn't studied at secondary school you can't be asked subject-specific questions, because that would place some students at a disadvantage.
If you mention reading any books in your personal statement then make sure you REALLY understand them and can talk about their content, you may be asked how your experiences in life have worked to make you a good architecture candidate, why you want to study architecture etc. You might be asked if you have a favourite architect and explain why, its all geared towards trying to get you to enthuse about architecture and explain why you want to study it.

So in short I wouldn't spend time learning things like the composition of a wall, or memorising all the architectural periods (like I did!). Spend your time trying to work out how to talk about what you enjoy about architecture, what fascinates you, what you'd like to investigate at university, how your extra-curricular activites has given you the teamwork skills to work on collaborative projects, etc etc :biggrin:

p.s. and you're very welcome :jumphug:
Original post by NinjaTS
Thank you very much for this forum.

I applied to Cambridge, Sheffield (uni of), Nottingham (uni of), De Montford and Sheffield Hallam. The only one that called me for interview was for Cambridge and only De Montford and Sheffield asked for a specific portfolio.

Nottingham was pretty laid back because they had the policy (and sensibly so in my opinion) that if you got a decent grade in art they would assume you could draw. I could give you insights into my Cambridge interview but it was a bit traumatic and none surprisingly I didn't get in (not that I really care. I didn't really want to go). I'd also assume that Cambridge interview/application process is a but extreme but if you want me to tell you id be happy to.

[ I'm likely to turf out quite lengthy replies and I don't want to clog this board with an answer no ones really interested in. ]

But like architecture-er, I havent come across many interviews and talking to my friends at Nottingham I get the impression that they aren't common.

As for portfolios, my advice would be to put in a range but of your best work that shows your interests off. As I've said earlier in this forum, Architecture schools seem to be interested in collecting a range of people with different interests in order to create a vibrant studio culture. You all share each other's ideas in studio and the wider range of interest they put into the pot at the beginning the better ideas should come out at the third year end of year shows.

I wouldn't put in anything you are unsure about or unhappy with. A good way to start picking, is by picking the pieces that you'd get offended if someone came up to and said it was rubbish etc. That way you know you are proud of them and you know that is the back-bone pieces of your artistic style.

Another thing to think about is (although I never did this) is include abstract pieces if you can. I know that Nottingham starts to get you to draw abstract pieces in order to develop concepts and first ideas (not all teaching groups though. I hated those teaching styles). So if you're already doing that style of work theyd be very pleased with you. I never had any abstract stuff though so its not compulsary merely advantageous I would imagine. But again it depends on whether your university is more artsy (ie Bartlett) or Engineeringy. It is the age old dilemma in architecture whether its a art or a science and as a result you get two different styles of teaching. If you find out which one your university leans to you it could help with putting a folio together.

I'll start you off. Uni of Nottingham and de Monfort at artsy and I think Sheffield uni is Sciencey.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending