The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything! (for prospective architecture students)

Scroll to see replies

Does someone doing Art & Design and Double ICT stand a chance of getting an offer from one of the lower ranked universities for Architecture. Also has a B in GCSE maths, is this good enough?
Original post by RSmith1007
Does someone doing Art & Design and Double ICT stand a chance of getting an offer from one of the lower ranked universities for Architecture. Also has a B in GCSE maths, is this good enough?

You're probably better off asking this in a new thread, it's bordering on a uni-specific answer which I can't really answer :dontknow:

I'd say you'd be best off phoning up some universities' architecture faculties and enquiring. You're not disadvantaged in that you have an artistic A-level and that's all that's typically requested, but your choice of Double ICT will have admissions tutors wondering why you want to study architecture

I'd also advise that you carefully consider whether you want to study architecture or not, as its a tough career that isn't particularly rewarding unless you go at it guns blazing, and your A-level choices suggest to me that Architecture is something that you're half-considering but not fully committed to?
Reply 82
Original post by Architecture-er

In terms of portfolios, all universities will require proof of artistic ability, either from an Art A-level, an Art foundation course or a portfolio. So if you don't have either of the Art courses, you'll have to submit a portfolio to prove that you can draw, even if the university doesn't ask every applicant for one. Bath for example doesn't ask for portfolios or interviews, but if you applied without an artistic subject then you'd have to submit a portfolio as part of your initial application.

p.s. and you're very welcome :jumphug:

I am an international student currently in the second year of IB (International Baccalaureate) with the following higher level and standard level subjects and predicted grades;
HL Physics (6/7)
HL English Literature (6/7)
HL Business and Management (6/7)
SL Visual Art (5/7)
SL Mandarin B (7/7)
SL Maths (7/7)

Do you think this is a good combination? Is a 5 in Visual arts okay?
Since I am taking Visual Arts, does this mean I might not need to present a portfolio?
Also, could you recommend me some architecture books to read? :biggrin:
Sorry for asking so much.Thanks again :smile:
Original post by NinjaTS
I am an international student currently in the second year of IB (International Baccalaureate) with the following higher level and standard level subjects and predicted grades;
HL Physics (6/7)
HL English Literature (6/7)
HL Business and Management (6/7)
SL Visual Art (5/7)
SL Mandarin B (7/7)
SL Maths (7/7)

Do you think this is a good combination? Is a 5 in Visual arts okay?
Since I am taking Visual Arts, does this mean I might not need to present a portfolio?
Also, could you recommend me some architecture books to read? :biggrin:
Sorry for asking so much.Thanks again :smile:

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea, I have no experience of the IB :redface:

I'm trying to keep this thread from being a "are my grades good enough" because the best people to ask are the universities themselves, and more along the lines of "what would be good subjects to take, what books to read, what to put in my portfolio/personal statement, etc" :smile:

Taking it at face value, Maths, Physics and Art are the core subjects, so having those is good, but I don't know what a 5/7 compares to at A-level, so I can't help there

I always recommend a couple of books by Simon Unwin, "20 buildings every architect should understand" and "analyzing architecture" for laying the basics down for students; Peter Zumthor's ""Thinking Architecture" and "Atmospheres" are great for reading about materiality and less tangible values of architecture.
Recently read a great book (though it's a bit specific) called "Hungry Cities" which covers the relationship between food and cities, how the rural/urban split has altered over the centuries, how food relates to society and culture, and the rise of supermarkets. So it's not particularly useful for a pre-student looking to understand the basics of architecture, but its a very interesting read nonetheless! Well written as well, you can understand it fine without a degree in Advanced Overcomplicated English :lol:
Reply 84
hi i have a question the working experience between riba1 and Riba 2 is recognized only the one that has be done in UK? otherwise can i work in a another country ,out of UK,and this year to be recognized as part of my working experience that is needed for my Riba 3 recognition?
Original post by george95
hi i have a question the working experience between riba1 and Riba 2 is recognized only the one that has be done in UK? otherwise can i work in a another country ,out of UK,and this year to be recognized as part of my working experience that is needed for my Riba 3 recognition?

Hey there! You need a minimum of 24 months of experience prior to being eligible for the Part III process, and 12 months of that have to be in the UK (edit, or countries in the European Economic Area!!) :smile:
Additionally 12 months should have been done within 2 years before starting your Part III.

So in short yes, as long as you can get 12 months placement in the UK/EEA then you can go anywhere else you like! I've done 6 months in Dubai myself.

You can find more info here, and a FAQ, the part that refers to your question is under "The ARB's Requirements"
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NinjaTS
I've done a lot of research on what to include in a portfolio to apply for architecture, but I am still confused about the interview processes as the university websites are vague.
Do all architectural universities require interviews? Could you explain to me the process, such as questions, how to prepare etc.?
Thank you very much for this forum.

i had an interview at the mac (glasgow school of art) and basically it was just an informal chit chat about my portfolio and a questionnaire to fill in while you waited (about why you wanted to do architecture, pretty much wrote what i'd put in my personal statement). was really confused when they didn't really ask me anything about architecture during it but i still got an offer :smile:

Original post by Scribbled
I think Sheffield uni is Sciencey.
sheffield is pretty artsy! :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by Scribbled
I applied to Cambridge, Sheffield (uni of), Nottingham (uni of), De Montford and Sheffield Hallam. The only one that called me for interview was for Cambridge and only De Montford and Sheffield asked for a specific portfolio....

In terms of portfolios, all universities will require proof of artistic ability, either from an Art A-level, an Art foundation course or a portfolio. So if you don't have either of the Art courses, you'll have to submit a portfolio to prove that you can draw, even if the university doesn't ask every applicant for one...

Hi :smile: Thanks for the answers. I have another question regarding the teacher recommendation letters. Do I need two? I have chosen my visual arts teacher and hl physics teacher. My Academic advisor said my HL Physics recommendation letter should be the primary one for Architecture, but I'm not sure, because I thought it was supposed to be the art one?
P.S I'm not even sure what she means by primary letter! >,<
Reply 88
Hey there! You need a minimum of 24 months of experience prior to being eligible for the Part III process, and 12 months of that have to be in the UK :smile:
Additionally 12 months should have been done within 2 years before starting your Part III.

So in short yes, as long as you can get 12 months placement in the UK then you can go anywhere else you like! I've done 6 months in Dubai myself.

You can find more info here, and a FAQ, the part that refers to your question is under "The ARB's Requirements"

here says 12 months at least in EEA (EU) not only UK
"In addition to having recognised qualifications as above, candidates should have completed at least 24 months' practical experience under the direct supervision of a professional working in the construction industry which should include at least 12 months working in the EEA, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, under the direct supervision of an architect. Further information and guidance can be obtained from ARB"
Original post by george95
here says 12 months at least in EEA (EU) not only UK
"In addition to having recognised qualifications as above, candidates should have completed at least 24 months' practical experience under the direct supervision of a professional working in the construction industry which should include at least 12 months working in the EEA, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, under the direct supervision of an architect. Further information and guidance can be obtained from ARB"

Oh, so that's what EEA means :lol:

The way it didn't mention the UK, but then specified the Channel Islands and Man made me think it was some excessive way of talking about the British Isles, thanks for the correction!
Reply 90
Anyone know good websites for architectural materials pens etc?
I am currently studying Art, maths, physics and geography and have gained an A in art and Geography, a B in maths and physics at AS. I want to apply for architecture but do not know whether to study physics or geography at A2 level? I am predicted an A* for Geography at A2 and a possible A in physics. I am trying for the best unievristies, what should i pick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Recently read a great book (though it's a bit specific) called "Hungry Cities" which covers the relationship between food and cities, how the rural/urban split has altered over the centuries, how food relates to society and culture, and the rise of supermarkets. So it's not particularly useful for a pre-student looking to understand the basics of architecture, but its a very interesting read nonetheless! Well written as well, you can understand it fine without a degree in Advanced Overcomplicated English :lol:

Ah, that's a great one, tutor recommended it to us because our brief was generally about promoting growing your own food in urban areas.
Original post by sayyes

Not really, in my experience there's not really a market for them.. Amazon will stock any drafting supplies you need for university, and otherwise you'll just be using art shops for your illustrative needs, and modelling shops for physical models :smile:
Reply 94
Not really, in my experience there's not really a market for them.. Amazon will stock any drafting supplies you need for university, and otherwise you'll just be using art shops for your illustrative needs, and modelling shops for physical models :smile:

Thanks for your reply. Hardback sketch books are expensive, have you found a particular make to be OK for different medium? Which size have you found the most useful?
Original post by JakeJohnson
I am currently studying Art, maths, physics and geography and have gained an A in art and Geography, a B in maths and physics at AS. I want to apply for architecture but do not know whether to study physics or geography at A2 level? I am predicted an A* for Geography at A2 and a possible A in physics. I am trying for the best unievristies, what should i pick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there! First of all, well done on your AS grades :smile:

I took both Geography and Physics at A2, and they both have their merits.

Geography is very useful for the humanitarian aspect of architecture, you'll learn a ton about natural disasters, how to respond and defend populations against them (we studied several earthquakes, and how structures can be better designed to withstand them, for example). You'll also learn a lot about the world as a whole, which is great for an architect looking to draw influences from different cultures and maybe even do some summer work abroad for house-building charities, etc etc.
On an academic note Geography will prepare you better for essay-writing, which is probably the main type of exams you'll face, not to mention any essays you have to submit as part of your modules.

Physics is great for teaching you about forces, moments, etc etc. However if you're taking the M1 module in Maths you'll learn basically everything you need to know from that, Physics will just cover old ground and then branch out into things like electricity, quantum mechanics and so on. Plus it's just darned interesting!

So I'd say Geography is the better subject for giving you new, relevant knowledge, Physics has some direct applications but not much that isn't covered in Maths, and neither are looked upon as soft subjects :smile:
Original post by sayyes

Managed to get everything on my equipment list for under £200 - ebay and amazon are the main ones, if you live in london then also Cass Art and London graphics centre (both do student discount), and then any small independent art shops will be helpful :smile: I think graphics direct was also really cheap (well, "cheap") but only if you order a lot from them as I think it's a fiver for postage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Atlantis Art Materials, near Brick Lane are quite good, big selection, quite cheap and do student discount when I went there a few years back. Heard London Graphics Centre, Covent Garden can be a bit expensive, but for the location its in I would thought that to be the case anyway. Guess it can also depend a bit on where you are in London, journey times, costs, etc.

Art materials tend to cost though wherever you go, often a case of expensive or really expensive. Part of the reason I love doing stuff on CAD so much, less bulk to carry as well!

Good Luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
The three mentioned above are the best in London for general supplies. They're each better at some things than others, though all expensive. The internet will be better later on as you know what you need.
Paperchase on Tottenham Court Road has a good selection of strange sheet materials which can be useful early on in the course.
For model making materials and harder tools 4D Model Shop is the place to go.
Reply 99
Hey I want to do architecture and I'm just deciding my a level subjects and I want to textiles instead of Art,would the universities still take me if I do textiles?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending