Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by josephinebunny
Thank you for the input! It's weird to go from required reading lists given by school 3 months before to knowing what books you ought to read the moment you get to uni. Do you generally use one notebook and binder per module?

Oh, hopefully I will! I'm feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety about knowing what to have for my course a week before starting. Thank goodness I won't be having maths though! One of the wonderful things about Durham and their Foundation Programmes, I think, is that they prepare you for the exact course you want to take next year, instead of preparing you for something more general/ambiguous like, say, "Arts and Humanities" or "Science". :smile:

I managed to use one notebook and filled a ring binder by the end of the first semester. Also, depending on the option modules you take you get plenty of handouts, which saves you on paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Thank you for the input! It's weird to go from required reading lists given by school 3 months before to knowing what books you ought to read the moment you get to uni. Do you generally use one notebook and binder per module?

Oh, hopefully I will! I'm feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety about knowing what to have for my course a week before starting. Thank goodness I won't be having maths though! One of the wonderful things about Durham and their Foundation Programmes, I think, is that they prepare you for the exact course you want to take next year, instead of preparing you for something more general/ambiguous like, say, "Arts and Humanities" or "Science". :smile:

I think they have changed the units for my business course next year. Now their are only 6 units rather than 10 or 12. However they are more business focused towards my progression route and each units has more credit counts. 40 out of my 120 credits so 2 units are maths associated! It will be a challenge for sure but I'm up for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
I think they have changed the units for my business course next year. Now their are only 6 units rather than 10 or 12. However they are more business focused towards my progression route and each units has more credit counts. 40 out of my 120 credits so 2 units are maths associated! It will be a challenge for sure but I'm up for it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be doing the combined Social Sciences, so I don't think I'll have any difficult maths modules, or any at all. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you study? How was your course at first, and how has it changed? Will you live in college next year? :]
Reply 64
I've checked and what will happen is the modules are to be more directed towards your progression route to prepare you for your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by ebowey
I've checked and what will happen is the modules are to be more directed towards your progression route to prepare you for your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww right, well that explains it then. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same and doing as much 'revision' as possible this summer - going over the basics and reading more (volume-wise) just to get in the right mind-set really. That and I'm a bit of a academic nut anyway lol.

Definitely! All the foundation paths are different, for example I'm Health and Human Sciences so its a mash up of social sciences/anthropology, science and medicine (human anatomy).

I think the specificity of the course is a big difference - in Durham's favour. Plus, going onto the degree you can be confident that you've covered what you needed to, making it a lot less intimidating.
Original post by criticalnature
I'm the same and doing as much 'revision' as possible this summer - going over the basics and reading more (volume-wise) just to get in the right mind-set really. That and I'm a bit of a academic nut anyway lol.

Definitely! All the foundation paths are different, for example I'm Health and Human Sciences so its a mash up of social sciences/anthropology, science and medicine (human anatomy).

I think the specificity of the course is a big difference - in Durham's favour. Plus, going onto the degree you can be confident that you've covered what you needed to, making it a lot less intimidating.

I'm wanting to start doing sone revision to fill in some of the days and to get use to it. Prepare myself essentially. Are you reading stuff online or fo you have books?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Himynameskiefer
I'm wanting to start doing sone revision to fill in some of the days and to get use to it. Prepare myself essentially. Are you reading stuff online or fo you have books?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both really. I have a pile of revision textbooks lol. Mostly random A-Level books from years ago (Philosophy, psychology and revision biology/chemistry) that even if not up to date I'll at least know the main points and can make a few notes. Plus I found a cheap(ish) international edition of the anthro textbook on amazon. My family all brought me books on biology, anthropology and/or by Jared Diamond - which are really good - this christmas so am reading through them.

I tend to use UK based exam revision sites or use the internet back up the book - especially for learning the terms of things/areas as a lot of it differs between countries, which gets confusing.

I found the hardest to cover was the medical/anatomy side as it seems to only be at university level (that I can see) so been looking online for resources (although I'm not sure if the americanisms are valid) and keeping an eye out on amazon etc.

I did find a great large skeleton that you can print out, and the app store (iphone) has a 'medical' section with free Gray's Anatomy student edition app.

As you can see I'm in full on study/exam mode lol... But I can't not be prepared :P
Reply 69
I wish I thought of that. Brilliant idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebowey
I wish I thought of that. Brilliant idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me? Going anywhere 'blind' kinda freaks me out lol.
Reply 71
Original post by criticalnature
Me? Going anywhere 'blind' kinda freaks me out lol.

That's good though, because it means that you have at least a basic understanding of the subjects and gives you a good head start. I went in completely clueless with most subjects, and although I'm a quick learner, it makes such a difference when it comes to class discussions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebowey
That's good though, because it means that you have at least a basic understanding of the subjects and gives you a good head start. I went in completely clueless with most subjects, and although I'm a quick learner, it makes such a difference when it comes to class discussions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely. It's also great for knowing what to expect from the classes in a broad sense.

Also I've started a facebook group for Queen's students & firmers here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/169668986533213/ - if anyone wishes to join :smile:
Quick question about the AS12 replies and e-mail: Do you only email about that once your offer officially says Unconditional on UCAS, or once you meet the offer regardless? Has everyone replied to it?
Original post by add4
Hi, I am kind of in the same situation. I received a conditional offer right back at beginning of Jan. I met the conditions days later. However it still remains as conditional on Ucas so I presume they will update it in due course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, has your offer been updated yet? I'm still waiting on mine. Also, have you received your AS12 confirmation letter yet or responded to the email? This goes to anyone, as I'm worried/stuck haha.
Reply 75
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Hey, has your offer been updated yet? I'm still waiting on mine. Also, have you received your AS12 confirmation letter yet or responded to the email? This goes to anyone, as I'm worried/stuck haha.

Hi, I enquired about this AS12 reply. Durham said to me that even though I've met the conditions, my offer will remain as conditional until A level results are released in August :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes sense if they sort out everyone's results and offer requirements together in August, even if you meet them early as otherwise it would never end :P Plus I'm sure they post extra staff on to deal with it.
Reply 77
I wish we had more info on freshers and other open days. I need to arrange holidays at work for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by aesir22
I wish we had more info on freshers and other open days. I need to arrange holidays at work for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the freshers week is the last week in September. There isn't a lot of information, but just keep checking your college webpage for updates. What I remember is on the Sunday when student arrive involves a formal meal at your college, and the following week is the freshers sign up events, and you also have things on at the foundation centre as well as your college. Also that week you have the matriculation event.

You get sent all the info mid August, but timetables for freshers are not given out until the Sunday before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebowey
I think the freshers week is the last week in September. There isn't a lot of information, but just keep checking your college webpage for updates. What I remember is on the Sunday when student arrive involves a formal meal at your college, and the following week is the freshers sign up events, and you also have things on at the foundation centre as well as your college. Also that week you have the matriculation event.

You get sent all the info mid August, but timetables for freshers are not given out until the Sunday before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds amazing! Is the meal only for students living in halls or for all students in that College?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending