The Student Room Group

KCL or gap year + target?

So...say I get A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* (Maths, FM, Physics, Economics, no STEP) should I bother taking a gap year (of pretty much doing nothing :/) and reapplying to go to Oxford, Imperial, LSE...or just go to King's? (For straight Maths, Maths with econ for LSE)...which would be better for investment banking and with these grades would I get into atleast one of these four? While we are here, how would King's be for becoming an Actuary compared to the other universities I have named?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well on the one hand you can take the gap year and risk loosing your place at kings [with no guarentee youll get it back] and get rejected by these universities leaving you in a bit of a bind or you could take the degree there...
Personally id go to KCL which being part of UoL you could still take courses at LSE and UCL [i think imperial left UoL?] or you could see about transfering to one after the first year... plus with that option if they decline you youd still be able to continue your degree at KCL?
Just my 2c though :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cl_steele
Well on the one hand you can take the gap year and risk loosing your place at kings [with no guarentee youll get it back] and get rejected by these universities leaving you in a bit of a bind or you could take the degree there...
Personally id go to KCL which being part of UoL you could still take courses at LSE and UCL [i think imperial left UoL?] or you could see about transfering to one after the first year... plus with that option if they decline you youd still be able to continue your degree at KCL?
Just my 2c though :smile:

But even if I do very well at King's, would it be a lot harder to get into IB or even become an Actuary?
Reply 3
Original post by TheGuy117
But even if I do very well at King's, would it be a lot harder to get into IB or even become an Actuary?

I wouldnt say it would be a lot harder by any means, It might make it a wee bit harder but if you do well i doubt itll make much difference.
Reply 4
So...say I get A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* (Maths, FM, Physics, Economics, no STEP) should I bother taking a gap year (of pretty much doing nothing :/) and reapplying to go to Oxford, Imperial, LSE or UCL...or just go to King's? (For straight Maths, Maths with econ for LSE)...which would be better for investment banking and with these grades would I get into atleast one of these four? While we are here, how would King's be for becoming an Actuary compared to the other universities I have named?

1. it will be harder from kings than from the top 6 but its not impossible

Very roughly (as there are no completely reliable statistics on this), for 5 students of any top 6 uni breaking into IB there will be 1 or 2 from Kings.

Now the question is: is it because of the name of the uni or because your average Kings student is just not as good?

The answer is a mix of both. Banks have universities they explicitely target and kings is not one of them. At the same time, if you are a smart guy from Kings you can make it.

2. your best plan is to accept the kings offer and whilst in your first year at Kings make another application through UCAS to top 6 unis. If you get an offer you change uni, if you dont, you stay at Kings.
Reply 5
Bristol or Kings for Maths degree going into IB??
Reply 6
So Bristol would be the better choice, if I want to go into IB? Do they target Bristol more than KCL?
So...say I get A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* (Maths, FM, Physics, Economics, no STEP)

If you get those grades, phone Imperial and UCL and see if they would take you through Adjustment.
Reply 8
Original post by BellEnd
So Bristol would be the better choice, if I want to go into IB? Do they target Bristol more than KCL?

I believe so but I think you should go with which you prefer. Neither is top 6 so any different will be negligible. Student life at each uni will be very different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
But which one would employers at an IB favour?
Reply 10
Original post by BellEnd
But which one would employers at an IB favour?

Bristol
Reply 11
By how much? because if its a big gap then i will go to bristol but if the gap is not so big, ill go kings, due to other factors like costs and stuff. for kings i would be living home and maybe walking to uni which is around the corner, whereas for bristol will have to move there and it will cost me alot.
Reply 12
Original post by BellEnd
By how much? because if its a big gap then i will go to bristol but if the gap is not so big, ill go kings, due to other factors like costs and stuff. for kings i would be living home and maybe walking to uni which is around the corner, whereas for bristol will have to move there and it will cost me alot.

Bristol and KCL is very negligible. Bristol may be slightly better for you, but it is very tight. If you want to go to KCL more than Bristol then go for KCL.
Reply 13
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
No they don't trust me, they are not a target school.

Not impossible but unlikely unless you settle for back office or round the houses - get experience, get further qualifications and then come back in, in which case the whole point of going to uni to get into IB is nullified,
Original post by ukmed108
Lol, for every "5 students of any top 6 uni there will be 1 or 2 from Kings". Read that again and u'll quickly realize that according to your statement, Kings actually does have the best prospects for IB.

Or maybe you are retarded?

5 Imperial -> 1 or 2 Kings
5 UCL -> 1 or 2 Kings
Reply 16
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ukmed108
Not how i read it. 5 from the top 6 unis, 1 or 2 from Kings. Either way, this clearly needs to be stated more clearly.

I clearly stated its 1 or 2 Kings for ANY top 5.

So there can't be any doubt about the meaning.

Besides even with your poor command of English you should have managed to understand in the context.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Frenchous
I clearly stated its 1 or 2 Kings for ANY top 5.

So there can't be any doubt about the meaning.

Besides even with your poor command of English you should have managed to understand in the context.

You need to grow up dude, stop being so petty
Reply 19
Original post by Frenchous

Banks have universities they explicitely target and kings is not one of them.

KCL is semi-targeted uni, and is on rise in IB&Consultancy.
To an extent this is true, but banks also have an elite group of ‘target’ universities to which they’ll actively sell a career within investment banking. At undergraduate level in the UK (in no particular order) these are Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics (LSE), UCL, Imperial College London and Warwick. The likes of Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh are also well-regarded. http://news.efinancialcareers.com/53928/which-university-is-best-for-breaking-into-banking/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending